PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] which application to use?

Lateefah-ubuntoo
October 10th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I installed a program called "periodic calendar" from http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxorg/files/PeriodicCalendar/pcalendar-3.2/Periodic%20Calendar-3.2-Linux-x86-Install/download . After installing, I tried to run it, but it just asks me which application I want to use to open it. And I have no idea which application should I use...

sikander3786
October 10th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I installed a program called "periodic calendar" from http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxorg/files/PeriodicCalendar/pcalendar-3.2/Periodic%20Calendar-3.2-Linux-x86-Install/download . After installing, I tried to run it, but it just asks me which application I want to use to open it. And I have no idea which application should I use...
Are you sure you installed it correctly? How did you install? Did it create any shortcuts anywhere? How are you trying to start it?

Lateefah-ubuntoo
October 10th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Are you sure you installed it correctly? How did you install? Did it create any shortcuts anywhere? How are you trying to start it?

yeah, well I open the "downloads" folder, and I tried to open the file "period calendar" and it asks for some application - "This links need to be opened with an application"..."Choose an application"... Is there other way to open it?

sikander3786
October 10th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Right click the downloaded file, go to Permissions tab and tick Allow executing as program. Now double click it.

Edit: If it doesn't install that way, you can select Run in terminal from the dialogue that appears after double clicking it.

Lateefah-ubuntoo
October 10th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I did the right click but there is no "Permissions"... Can you please tell me what do I type in the terminal box?

sikander3786
October 10th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I did the right click but there is no "Permissions"... Can you please tell me what do I type in the terminal box?
Sorry, Right click > Properties > Permissions.

My mistake...