PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 acting weird after boot screen

Gualdim
October 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hello,

I have just upgraded from 10.04 (where everything was working fine) to 10.10...
I am able to boot in recovery mode (graphic mode is working ok this way), but not in normal mode: just after the purple Maverick boot screen, I get a black screen where my computer stucks, possibly for ever (although I can't be definitive on this point :) )

Do you guys have any thought on what is going on here?

I boot once in recovery mode, updated my graphic driver (ati, which was not working well anymre according to catalyst), and then I thought everything would be allright, but it is not the case: still black screen at boot..... -_-'

Thank you for your help!!!!

Gualdim
October 10th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Meow?

happyisland
October 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I've got a similar problem with a vaio laptop that has an ATI card. On boot it makes the drum roll noise, but then stays frozen on a blank 'purple screen of death'. I booted in recovery mode (by holding down the shift key on boot), installed the fglrx driver (using the System > Administration > Additional Drivers tool), restarted, and now everything is working normally.

I hope this works for you too.

Gualdim
October 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Your problem occured on 10.10?

It is indeed a graphic driver problem, since I've just been able to boot normally, after having disabled the famous fglrx driver...

How could I get my ATI to work again?

dino99
October 10th, 2010, 06:38 PM
remove xorg.conf then reboot

sudo rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Gualdim
October 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM
And then?

Do I have to activate the ATI driver again?

happyisland
October 10th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Your problem occured on 10.10?

It is indeed a graphic driver problem, since I've just been able to boot normally, after having disabled the famous fglrx driver...

How could I get my ATI to work again?

Yes, my problem occurred on upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10.

Getting ATI to work is as simple as using the 'Additional Drivers' tool.

Gualdim
October 10th, 2010, 07:02 PM
OK,

it seems to be a problem with my dual screen configuration: as soon as I modify it using Catalyst, Ubuntu do not start (end up at the black screen).

How can I fix this??

thank you!

EDIT to happyisland: no, it is not as simple, since the problem goes back after I use the additional driver tool :)

happyisland
October 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
whoops - i guess I should have said "for me" it was simple...

Gualdim
October 10th, 2010, 07:11 PM
It seems to be a bad update of the xorg.conf file by Catalyst, is there a way to edit it myself to use my two screens? Coding on a vertical screen is so much better, I am addict to it... please help me :)

dino99
October 10th, 2010, 07:15 PM
people might use the ubuntu driver only, not catalyst in your case as ubuntu have its own driver tweaks, so dont mixe them.

remove xorg.conf and set your config with nvidia-settings

Gualdim
October 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM
MMMmmh sorry I miss your point Dino99. My card is an ATI not Nvidia.
Here is my laptop current state:
xorg.conf has been deleted
the fglrx ATI/AMD driver is not installed

If I install it, and then go into Catalyst to change my displays setup after a reboot, I won't be able to reboot again.

I do not know how and when xorg.conf is implied in the process, but sure it is since as soon as I remove it, I am able to boot normally (but in low resolution).

Gualdim
October 10th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Seems to be an issue anyway:

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/fglrx-finally-works-with-ubuntu-1010.html

They say it is fixed... but obviously it's not.

dino99
October 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM
my bad, its to late for my poor brain, sorry :confused:

for the latest updates, you can add this ppa to synaptic repo tab (take care, these packages are not tested much, so install only the graphic driver you need, then deselect this ppa and update again)

Gualdim
October 10th, 2010, 07:55 PM
AHAHAH I am very sorry: as my numbers of "beans" suggests it, I am pretty new to all of this: I have no idea what a ppa is, and by extention I did not understand even a single thing of your explanations!

Sorry!

Could you explain it again? :)

envygeeks
October 11th, 2010, 05:33 AM
AHAHAH I am very sorry: as my numbers of "beans" suggests it, I am pretty new to all of this: I have no idea what a ppa is, and by extention I did not understand even a single thing of your explanations!

Sorry!

Could you explain it again? :)

There are way too many bugs with FGLRX this round, and it's mostly X to blame, well it's also ATI's fault because they don't officially support anything past 7.5. For example, blacks are no longer blacks with FGLRX they need to adjust the color, my monitor is not correctly detected with FGLRX (what the hell is Goldstar? It's Lucky Goldstar AKA LG ~ Why not just say "LG"?) you can't use Cataylist control centre to change the dual screen settings, it will muck up xorg.conf because it's not ready, you can't easily enable dual screen setups when using FGLRX. I can keep going too.

openElements
October 11th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I was having the same issue on my Asus netbook. The issue was resolved by manually installing the new graphical packages called Unity via the terminal

sudo apt-get install unity

then restart