PDA

View Full Version : Adware/Spyware Removal for Linux

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Not viruses. I'm not worried about viruses.

But adware is platform independent. There can be just as many tracking cookies on a Linux System as on a Windows system. Proof: I just installed BetterPrivacy (a Firefox extension) and found a cart load of LSO tracking cookies. So... I've been googling and haven't found anything that would compare to SuperantiSpyware for Windows. But maybe I'm not using the right terms?

Any suggestions?

jcolyn
October 10th, 2010, 03:32 PM
spyware/adware and cookies are two different things. All browsers store cookies regardless of OS.

If you don't want cookies set privacy controls to delete cookies at the close of Firefox or use the extension..

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
spyware/adware and cookies are two different things. All browsers store cookies regardless of OS.

If you don't want cookies set privacy controls to delete cookies at the close of Firefox or use the extension..

Well... no... not necessarily.

That used to be the case, but no longer.

Do you know of something comparable to SuperantiSpyware for Linux? Just asking... not looking to get into an argument over definitions of adware, spyware and tracking cookies.

jcolyn
October 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Well... no... not necessarily.

That used to the case, but no longer.

Do you know of something comparable to SuperantiSpyware for Linux? Just asking... not looking to get into an argument over definitions of adware, spyware and tracking cookies.

Since cookies cannot install spyware/adware I don't bother. I let them run their course and expire. I've never has a single issue..

Most cookies are not tracking cookies. For example this forum sets cookies in your cookie folder. If you delete the cookies you'll have to log in each time you visit. If you do online banking your bank will set temp cookies as does other secure online services.

eBay, paypal, craigslist, as well as other sites set cookies.

In other words worrying about cookies is a waste of time...

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2010, 04:38 PM
So...

I take it from your response that you don't know of any comparable software?

That's ok. Your definition of cookies strikes me as about two years old - but that's ok too. If they don't concern you, then definitions don't matter. For me, I like to stick it to the *man*. I know there's no such thing as privacy on the web, but I'm also not going to make it easy for them. I'm all over making the SOB's sweat. :-)

Spr0k3t
October 10th, 2010, 05:06 PM
There are no cookie cleaning services for Linux. What I do is set my privacy settings a little higher than normal and have set up a whitelist for domains I want to accept cookies from.

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks SproOk3t. Your answer is the impression I've been getting.

dionysius
October 10th, 2010, 07:41 PM
There's bleachbit - but it doesn't provide 'real time' "protection" like superantispyware. I run it from time to time to clean things out, but more to free up some space than for privacy reasons.

ikt
October 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
But maybe I'm not using the right terms?

No you're confusing the two, one are cookies, the other are spyware, one is a threat, the other is harmless.

I'm also not going to make it easy for them. I'm all over making the SOB's sweat. :-)

Which is counter intuitive because the only SOB sweating is you.

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2010, 08:04 PM
No you're confusing the two, one are cookies, the other are spyware, one is a threat, the other is harmless.

No I'm not.

You're confusing 2007 with 2010.

It's interesting how many users still think of cookies as harmless containers of data. The distinction between cookies and spyware has blurred. Just a little bit of googling will reveal to what extent - especially as regards flash cookies.

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2010, 08:10 PM
There's bleachbit - but it doesn't provide 'real time' "protection" like superantispyware. I run it from time to time to clean things out, but more to free up some space than for privacy reasons.

Thanks, real time protection isn't that much of an issue. I may try bleachbit. Looks similar to the addon, Click&Clean. I wonder if the two are essentially identical?

ikt
October 10th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Just a little bit of googling will reveal to what extent - especially as regards flash cookies.

You'll have to link me because my googling is failing, there are no major cookie exploits I can see, and no system altering drive by installs that happen via cookies that I can find.

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2010, 08:26 PM
You'll have to link me because my googling is failing, there are no major cookie exploits I can see, and no system altering drive by installs that happen via cookies that I can find.

You must not have tried very hard...

For example:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=160400749

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/new-crypto-attack-affects-millions-aspnet-apps-091310

Many of these exploits are still formative, but what's important to note is that they are platform independent. Linux is no safer than windows. Differentiating between spyware and cookies is becoming a semantic nicety. The goal is the same - mine your computer for valuable information.

And by the way, welcome to 2010.

ikt
October 10th, 2010, 08:52 PM

2 articles, 1 from 2005 and 1 speculating on a possible attack.

For example:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=160400749/QUOTE]

A non-event

A site interested in tracking a user would set a normal cookie and a Flash cookie. If the user erased the normal cookie, the PIE-enabled site could use the redundant Flash cookie to track the user.

http://epic.org/privacy/cookies/flash.html

Many of these exploits are still formative, but what's important to note is that they are platform independent. Linux is no safer than windows. Differentiating between spyware and cookies is becoming a semantic nicety. The goal is the same - mine your computer for valuable information.

Good on you for working to protect your system but you know, spyware and adware were the scourge of the internet and windows computers every where for years, causing countless re installations and headaches, you've offered me a potential exploit that's on the kaperky "threat blog" and as we all know kapersky are idiots at best.

I'm disappointed :(

Dugger5688
October 10th, 2010, 09:03 PM
You are really worrying about nothing. If there are sites you visit that would don't trust, use chrome and open up an "incognito" window, or use firefox's private browsing. Or, better still, set firefox to clear cookies on close.

jcolyn
October 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM

For example:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=160400749

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/new-crypto-attack-affects-millions-aspnet-apps-091310

NOTICE...........MICROSOFT............ASP......... Both are virus that cannot infect Linux...nor can any Windoze executable infect a Linux or Mac for that matter..

You're still thinking in a Windoze frame of mind.

I do online banking as well as pay bills and purchase with a credit card and have never had any of my data stolen by cookies...

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM
2 articles, 1 from 2005 and 1 speculating on a possible attack.

Yeah, funny I could find them and you couldn't.

There are plenty more, but it's not my job to provide you links. Do whatever you want on your system. I could care less.

Speed_arg
October 10th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah, funny I could find them and you couldn't.

There are plenty more, but it's not my job to provide you links. Do whatever you want on your system. I could care less.

It's obvious you don't understand how cookies work. Even if there was an exploit (and there is not), without running as SU, it can't really harm you.

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2010, 10:33 PM
NOTICE...........MICROSOFT............ASP......... Both are virus that cannot infect Linux...nor can any Windoze executable infect a Linux or Mac for that matter..

You're still thinking in a Windoze frame of mind.

I do online banking as well as pay bills and purchase with a credit card and have never had any of my data stolen by cookies...

ASP.Net runs on Linux via Mono.

Does this affect desktop Linux users like ourselves? Unlikely, but could it in the future? I don't know. Why wait around? All I'm asking about is the best way to control cookies. Opinions as to whether this issue merits my attention doesn't interest me. I frankly don't think anyone on this forum has the expertise to know.

But I trust that any number of you can advise me as to a good program to remove cookies.

(Glad that nothing of yours has been stolen, by the way.)

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2010, 10:37 PM
It's obvious you don't understand how cookies work. Even if there was an exploit (and there is not), without running as SU, it can't really harm you.

It's obvious that you don't understand the purpose of spyware. Whether it "harms my system" is irrelevant. The purpose of spyware is to retrieve information.

mamamia88
October 10th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I just block 3rd party cookies.

Speed_arg
October 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
It's obvious that you don't understand the purpose of spyware. Whether it "harms my system" is irrelevant. The purpose of spyware is to retrieve information.

Except cookies are not spyware.

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I just block 3rd party cookies.

I do too. Having done that though, I was curious to see what a program like superantispyware would find. In other words, what bypasses that security measure? I think I've found out (as much as I'm going to). As I wrote at the beginning of the post, I installed the BetterPrivacy add-on. Even though I had blocked third party cookies and emptied all cookies, there were still some 60 odd "stored LSOs". In fairness, these might not be considered "3rd party cookies". If you're curious, install the add-on on your own system and let me know what turns up.

mamamia88
October 10th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I don't know really but wouldn't using an adblocker and blocking 3rd party cookies block most if not all adware? maybe even running no script firefox extension?

jcolyn
October 10th, 2010, 11:18 PM
ASP.Net runs on Linux via Mono.

Does this affect desktop Linux users like ourselves? Unlikely, but could it in the future? I don't know. Why wait around? All I'm asking about is the best way to control cookies. Opinions as to whether this issue merits my attention doesn't interest me. I frankly don't think anyone on this forum has the expertise to know.

But I trust that any number of you can advise me as to a good program to remove cookies.

(Glad that nothing of yours has been stolen, by the way.)

As one poster stated above in order to install spyware/adware software on Linux it has to have SU rights. Cookies have no way of getting that info...

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Except cookies are not spyware.

I don't care. Call them fig-newtons if you want to.

The purpose of spyware and cookies is to provide information without your permission. They "spy" on you. Can cookies be used to steal your banking info? Not yet. Can they be exploited to that end? Yes. The means have already been demonstrated.

jcolyn
October 10th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I don't care. Call them fig-newtons if you want to.

Can cookies be used to steal your banking info? Not yet. Can they be exploited to that end? Yes. The means have already been demonstrated.

That's why you close the browser after doing a secure transaction such as banking. It deletes the temp cookies set by your bank which cannot be read by tracking cookies while your session is active..

neu5eeCh
October 11th, 2010, 12:30 AM
That's why you close the browser after doing a secure transaction such as banking. It deletes the temp cookies set by your bank which cannot be read by tracking cookies while your session is active..

Yes... well... still in 2007 I see.

If your bank decides to use Flash cookies you can press the delete button until your finger falls off. Won't do you a bit of good.

3rdalbum
October 11th, 2010, 12:45 AM

I think you're still in 1998, which was the year when people got paranoid about cookies.

jcolyn
October 11th, 2010, 12:49 AM

If your bank decides to use Flash cookies you can press the delete button until your finger falls off. Won't do you a bit of good.

Banks don't use flash cookies simply because they are unreliable.

As soon as HTML5 is released flash will be obsolete anyway...

I check my cookie folder from time to time and as yet I have not seen a flash cookie.

Most tracking cookies come from advertisers who advertise on various sites such as news sites. If you don't want them install ad bloc+ into Firefox. My cookie population shrunk after doing so to the point that all cookies currently in my cookie folder are ones set by the website only that I visit...and none are tracking cookies..

neu5eeCh
October 11th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Banks don't use flash cookies simply because they are unreliable.

Yeah... as far as we know.

As soon as HTML5 is released flash will be obsolete anyway...

I hope so, but that too remains to be seen.

I check my cookie folder from time to time and as yet I have not seen a flash cookie.

Right. That's because they're not stored there. If you use FF, install BetterPrivacy and tell me what turns up. I'll be genuinely curious.

Most tracking cookies come from advertisers who advertise on various sites such as news sites. If you don't want them install ad bloc+ into Firefox. My cookie population shrunk after doing so to the point that all cookies currently in my cookie folder are ones set by the website only that I visit...and none are tracking cookies..

Adbloc definitely helps... that and noscript.

wrtpeeps
October 11th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Have to say, I find it disappointing that more people tried to argue with the OP on the "that's impossible, Linux is the most secure thing evaaarrrr" point rather than try to help the guy. :(

bigsmitty64
October 11th, 2010, 01:48 AM
This is from one of the articles you posted. I'm just sayin....

"Consumers are constantly reminded about the risks on the Internet posed by spyware, (http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm.jhtml?term=spyware) phishers and viruses, so deleting cookies makes them feel more secure, even though it's unlikely to make them safer"

formaldehyde_spoon
October 11th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Not viruses. I'm not worried about viruses.

But adware is platform independent. There can be just as many tracking cookies on a Linux System as on a Windows system. Proof: I just installed BetterPrivacy (a Firefox extension) and found a cart load of LSO tracking cookies. So... I've been googling and haven't found anything that would compare to SuperantiSpyware for Windows. But maybe I'm not using the right terms?

Any suggestions?

Your terminology is wrong.
You may have a perfectly good reason to want to get rid of cookies, but they are not ''adware/spyare''.
No I'm not.

You're confusing 2007 with 2010.

It's interesting how many users still think of cookies as harmless containers of data. The distinction between cookies and spyware has blurred. Just a little bit of googling will reveal to what extent - especially as regards flash cookies.

''Harmless''? Maybe, maybe not, that's subjective.
But cookies most certainly are just ''containers of data''.

jcolyn
October 11th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Right. That's because they're not stored there. If you use FF, install BetterPrivacy and tell me what turns up. I'll be genuinely curious.

This is what I get right after installing it.

I neglected to say earlier that I checked my .macromedia hidden folder since that is where flash files from Firefox are stored.

http://fotografs.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v10/p291114251-5.jpg

neu5eeCh
October 11th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Thanks Jcolyn. As you wrote, you neglected to mention that you clear out your Macromedia folder. In that case, it's not surprising that you don't find any. On my own system, I cleared out the same folder about three hours ago. I just checked before sending this and there were already 10 flash cookies (and this is with adblock and the blocking of third party cookies). They were probably put on my system when I watched a video at Huffpost.

I just cleared them out again (not that I needed to, but since I was there....)

To answer my own question: It looks like BetterPrivacy is probably the closest thing to "Antispyware" on the linux side.

formaldehyde_spoon
October 11th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Thanks Jcolyn. As you wrote, you neglected to mention that you clear out your Macromedia folder. In that case, it's not surprising that you don't find any. On my own system, I cleared out the same folder about three hours ago. I just checked before sending this and there were already 10 flash cookies (and this is with adblock and the blocking of third party cookies). They were probably put on my system when I watched a video at Huffpost.

I just cleared them out again (not that I needed to, but since I was there....)

To answer my own question: It looks like BetterPrivacy is probably the closest thing to "Antispyware" on the linux side.

Cookies are not spyware.

jcolyn
October 11th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Thanks Jcolyn. As you wrote, you neglected to mention that you clear out your Macromedia folder. In that case, it's not surprising that you don't find any.

I didn't clear out the folder I checked it and it was empty...but then I use strong privacy measures.

neu5eeCh
October 11th, 2010, 03:09 AM
This is from one of the articles you posted. I'm just sayin....

"Consumers are constantly reminded about the risks on the Internet posed by spyware, (http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm.jhtml?term=spyware) phishers and viruses, so deleting cookies makes them feel more secure, even though it's unlikely to make them safer"

Again, I think this misses the larger point.

The ostensible purpose of these cookies is to "spy" on you. Companies want to track you. It is not, first and foremost, a question of feeling "safer or more secure". It's a matter of having some control over who can "data mine" your *ss, and when. Whether you're on Linux or Windows has nothing to do with it.

However, and secondly, the ability to exploit flash cookies is new terrain. Why risk it? If it's something I can control, then why not? That's why I was asking if anyone knew of an equivalent to Superantispyware.

I'm not asking whether folks on this forum think there's adware or spyware on my computer. Nobody on this forum has a clue. Give it up. I was just asking if anyone could recommend software.

To those who have, my thanks.

neu5eeCh
October 11th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I didn't clear out the folder I checked it and it was empty...but then I use strong privacy measures.

I do too, but apparently not as strong as yours.

The only way I could match that would be to only and ever use Firefox in private browsing sessions. Short of that, I don't think it would be possible to avoid flash cookies unless one simply never used flash of any kind.

bigsmitty64
October 11th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Nobody on this forum has a clue. Give it up.

Nuff said...have a good night.

witeshark17
October 11th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Why not just clear recent history regularly...

neu5eeCh
October 11th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Why not just clear recent history regularly...

In FF, at least, that won't clear out flash cookies. Additionally, some browsers like IE and Chrome allow flash cookies to be stored in unspecified locations (clearing out your macromedia folder might not help you). From what I can gather, this doesn't seem to be true of FF, another reason I still prefer FF to Chrome.

A previous poster mentioned HTML5 as a solution to these FLASH issues. However, I just stumbled across the following article (wasn't looking for it, honest):

http://www.techspot.com/news/40388-html5-local-storage-could-track-your-surfing-habits.html

Also some interesting comments following up this article.

witeshark17
October 11th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Yeah, there are some new tracking issues to watch... Annoying... [-X

neu5eeCh
October 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah, there are some new tracking issues to watch... Annoying... [-X

And just look at what I woke up to this morning:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/11/business/media/11privacy.html?hp

Looks like the much vaunted HTML5 could be as bad, if not worse, than flash when it comes to privacy or, better, let's call it spycookies.

jcolyn
October 11th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Looks like the much vaunted HTML5 could be as bad, if not worse, than flash when it comes to privacy or, better, let's call it spycookies.

Sounds like fear mongering. You seem to be seeing ghosts around every corner.

Lets face it...if you go online you give up your privacy..

I have been using computers since Windoze v1.0 and have yet to get a single virus or spy/adware infection. A few simple precautions should keep you safe. Worrying about cookies is going to keep you awake at night..

neu5eeCh
October 11th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Sounds like fear mongering. You seem to be seeing ghosts around every corner.

Lets face it...if you go online you give up your privacy..

I have been using computers since Windoze v1.0 and have yet to get a single virus or spy/adware infection. A few simple precautions should keep you safe. Worrying about cookies is going to keep you awake at night..

Whether or not *you* have ever gotten adware or spyware isn't at issue. How many iterations of windows you have used isn't at issue. Whether you can sleep well isn't at issue. If you want to continue talking about yourself and your security prowess, why not start your own thread?

Let the grown-ups talk.

fiklein
November 27th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I went to the Global settings site for Adobe. I am running 11.04 on this computer. Check out the site at:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html
Set yourself to NONE and "do not ask again"
I think that will solve any problems you have.