PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Better kerrnell for my desktop PC

Actubre
October 10th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Not sure I'm in the correct forum section, but what the hell, here I go....

The thing is I want to change to a kernel that takes better advantage of my particular hardware. Not sure I want to learn to compile yet (fairly new linux user), but want to install an already existing one that fits better. Nevertheless, if compiling is my only option, no big problem either.

Alright, here's what I think you need to know to be able to help me. Sure you will tell me if you need more:

AMD Athlon II X2 240 2,8Mhz (overclocked to 3,1)
2 Gb DDR2 ram (Not shure this **** even has a brand, lol)
Nvidia 8400GS 512MB

One 30GB IDE (Ubuntu)
One 300GB SATA (WinXP)

Now, I currently have the standard 32bits i386 kernel. I don't want to migrate to a full 64bits system, just optimize ye old kernel for my hardware.

Thanks a lot in advance, sure is difficult to get trustworthy info.

cascade9
October 10th, 2010, 02:06 PM
One 30GB IDE (Ubuntu)
One 300GB SATA (WinXP)

Now, I currently have the standard 32bits i386 kernel. I don't want to migrate to a full 64bits system, just optimize ye old kernel for my hardware.

You would probably get just as much performance out of moving to 64-bit as you would from compiling a kernel, possibly even more.

That 30GB IDE drive will really be slowing some things down as well, booting in particular.

Actubre
October 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM
You would probably get just as much performance out of moving to 64-bit as you would from compiling a kernel, possibly even more.

That 30GB IDE drive will really be slowing some things down as well, booting in particular.

The thing is I don't want a 64 bit system for 2 reasons....
1) I had previously tested a couple 64bit distros and the overall performance for everyday tasks was a big disappointment.
2) MY goal with having Ubuntu and wanting it to be as smooth as possible is precisely learning in an as easy to use environment as possible. Not the case with any 64 bit version. I've already even virtualized my real XP with VirtualBox, so I'm in the market to make Linux my main OS.

What I need is either a modified 32bit kernel that would suit me ( don't know if it would be i686, K7 o whatever) or some pointers on how the hell a compiled kernell is made.

Thanks in advance for your patience, English is not my native language and Linux not my "native" OS, so all of this is being kind of hard for me.

P.S: I know that damn HD is a preformance killer (and freaking noisy too) But, well.... makes it safer for me to screw up as much as I want! lol