PDA

View Full Version : Unable to install Windows

rak111esh
October 10th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Hey all,
I have a hp dv5 1106ax system
(http://www.india-server.com/laptops/features/hp-pavilion-dv5-1106ax-36.html). My CD drive is not working.So i did a bootable pendrive windows 7 but it doesnt show any hdd. Ive installed on my friends system(a desktop to test) and windows 7 works just fine. I have my vista recovery disks too but since my cd drive isnt working they are useless.

currently im working with ubutu(for some academic stuff) but i miss windows. :( .Now i want to switch back to windows windows 7 or windows vista any ideas how?

ps:-Ive googled a lot on windows 7 installation error and result says something about enable sata in bios and my bios screen doesnt even have that option.

discord
October 10th, 2010, 12:42 PM
sounds like a Windows problem to me, maybe you can get some help from support.microsoft.com , or some windows specific site...

rak111esh
October 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM
imo tried there.They say its manufacturers problem.
This is only place i know where i can get my answers.

howefield
October 10th, 2010, 12:49 PM
sounds like a Windows problem to me, maybe you can get some help from support.microsoft.com , or some windows specific site...

I'd agree with that.

Try a windows support forum, eg http://www.sevenforums.com/

Thread moved to the Cafe.

ronnielsen1
October 10th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Did you format the hard drive at any time with Ubuntu? Windows has a problem with seeing partitions created with linux

Tibuda
October 10th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Did you format the hard drive at any time with Ubuntu? Windows has a problem with seeing partitions created with linux
Windows can't see Linux partitions, but the Windows Installer can format them.

@OP: Are you sure your BIOS can boot from USB. My laptop BIOS can only boot from USB if I enable an option before booting.

rak111esh
October 10th, 2010, 01:49 PM

I did format with ubuntu.
@Tibuda, Ya i booted from usb else grub would take control right?

CharlesA
October 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I'd suggest contacting the people you bought the laptop from and having them help you.

rajeev1204
October 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
You might need to select special or extended boot options for the mobo from the boot screen , try an F8 and see if it sees your USB drive .

rak111esh
October 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Yes, may be! but it kinda hurts me somewhere to go for service-center just because of some small OS problem. :(
but i still have 1 week before i go to my hometown(Service center) just couldn't stand the curiosity thats all!

Mark Phelps
October 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM
You need to GO TO the Windows 7 forum! THEY have the Windows 7 experts.

inobe
October 10th, 2010, 04:50 PM
but since my cd drive isnt working they are useless.

get an external drive for 32 bucks, pop in the recoveries and move on.

if your machine isn't under warranty buy a new internal dvd-rw drive for 20 bucks and move on.

if something is broke fix it or have someone else fix it, don't make it harder on yourself because of a bad dvd drive !

MasterNetra
October 10th, 2010, 06:03 PM
get an external drive for 32 bucks, pop in the recoveries and move on.

If your machine isn't under warranty buy a new internal dvd-rw drive for 20 bucks and move on.

If something is broke fix it or have someone else fix it, don't make it harder on yourself because of a bad dvd drive !

+1

You need to GO TO the Windows 7 forum! THEY have the Windows 7 experts.

Or he can get a new DVD+RW driver (external or internal) to replace his broken one. Where can then either install Win7 via DVD, restore vista, or whatever.

rak111esh
October 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Yes Masternetra,Inobe thats what the service center does. Fix my disk drive and all.

I am looking for an alternative just out of curiosity, thought it was a trivial question.
I guess browse spend some time in windows 7 forums now.