PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question regarding the availability of 10.10 (NOT RC)

androidcupcake
October 10th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hi all..

It's already 10.10.10 here in India :) And the Ubuntu site mentions the availability of 10.10.

When I am trying to upgrade to I get the following box (screenshot attached below):

Under the "release notes" it still says "Release Candidate"!

Why is that??

P.S I am still a nOOb, so please excuse my ignorance :|

Thanks

Rubi1200
October 10th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Sometimes things take time, sometimes you have to wait a few hours. Don't forget the servers are going to be very busy with people trying to download the final version:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590098

androidcupcake
October 10th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Sometimes things take time, sometimes you have to wait a few hours. Don't forget the servers are going to be very busy with people trying to download the final version:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590098

Point noted. Will read the attached thread.
Thank you!

Rubi1200
October 10th, 2010, 12:05 PM
You are more than welcome :)

I hope you have an enjoyable experience once you upgrade.

Remember we are here to answer any questions you may have now or in the future.

mkris23
October 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I'm in india, and i've been running the upgrade through the update manager for about an hour now. it's almost complete. cant see what your problem is.

androidcupcake
October 10th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I'm in india, and i've been running the upgrade through the update manager for about an hour now. it's almost complete. cant see what your problem is.

That's great. Did you not get the same screen as I got? [Pl check the screenshot above]

It mentions "Release candidate" under "release notes".

Otherwise, it's all good coz I have downloaded the image anyway, which means it's officially available, of course. Just the upgrade is the issue, especially that screenshot.

Cheers!

mkris23
October 10th, 2010, 01:36 PM
yeah. even if it mentions 'release candidate' under the notes, you can always run the upgrades, and then run separate upgrades to convert it to a stable version. there's no other special process involved. this way you get too keep all your config files.

Spartan117413
October 10th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I'm having the same issue here too, deep in the heart of Texas. I've got the 10.10 RC on two machines, an x86 and an x64, with neither of them providing the option in the Update Manager to upgrade to release. Even went through the settings and made sure I was able to receive the right info necessary for upgrade, etc. Just gonna get the release .iso anywho.

solar george
October 10th, 2010, 02:48 PM
10.10 RC versions will just update to the stable release without telling you that you've gone from testing to stable, just run your updates like normal and you'll be on the final version.

Rahuljaiswal
October 10th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I am in India and i am upgrading ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10... its going on and going pretty fine... no prob till now...:P

androidcupcake
October 10th, 2010, 02:54 PM
10.10 RC versions will just update to the stable release without telling you that you've gone from testing to stable, just run your updates like normal and you'll be on the final version.

That is reassuring! Thanks!

efflandt
October 10th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I have been running 10.10 beta since a couple of weeks ago upgraded to RC, and updates earlier in the week already changed lsb-release from something like Development release to the following several days ago. So maybe there were no major changes between most recent RC updates and final release:

cat /etc/*release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10"

I have not tried a 10.04 to 10.10 upgrade yet, but the servers are likely busy today.

cristianrosa
October 11th, 2010, 09:57 AM
So, I'm still having the release notes saying it is a "Release Candidate", so I was wondering if it is just that they forgot to update them? Is it safe to upgrade?
I'm using the French national repos.