PDA

View Full Version : Ah man...I've become the computer guy :'(

Legendary_Bibo
October 10th, 2010, 01:26 AM
At my college where I work as a tutor, some of the tutors have noticed me bringing in my laptop and notebook (laptop runs Ubuntu, notebook runs Win7), and they began asking me how many computers I have which being honest about was a bad idea (laptop, notebook, and I used to have two P4 desktops running Xubuntu, but I gave one away). I also kind of mentioned that I like to take old computers and get some use out of them. Now they keep bugging me about their computer problems, and the want me to fix them. I know how to, and I can, but I really don't want to. Help!!! Make them go away, I never want to lay my eyes on Vista again! Fixing the macbook was easy, the tutor who owns it just didn't know how to connect to the internet, and she just wanted help installing some Magic doohickey touchpad thingy. The guy with the Vista laptop won't leave me alone! He was having BSODs and registry problems so I told him to get CCcleaner, and I had to walk him through how to google for it, how to click a link, and when it got to the point where he needed to know how to download it, I just told him to figure it out for himself. I won't get into walking him through defragging his hard drive. I don't want to be the computer guy, how do you get rid of these people, or at least deal with them‽

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 10th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I wonder how many of his problems are due to PEBKAC. He sounds pretty incompetent.

CharlesA
October 10th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Yeah. Tell him to take it to Geek Squad or something. *hides*

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 01:49 AM
I wonder how many of his problems are due to PEBKAC. He sounds pretty incompetent.
almost all of them. As caribou said, windows would be an almost perfect OS without the users ;).

But seriously, I've been in your position before, and I share your sentiments. My usual response: get linux or get out; I don't want to fix your windows install to find you've broken it 2 weeks later and come whining back to me for help. Got my grandma on xubuntu. Of course, you could always start charging, charge double every time they bring back a computer you've already fixed; e.g. 20 the first time, 40, 80..

undecim
October 10th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Start charging money.

You will get many fewer requests for help, and those that you do get will be profitable.

scrooge_74
October 10th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Yup give them your hourly rate, the reason is that money makes you remember how to fix **** in Windows and that the time spent fixing their crap is your off time so they need to compensate you.

That should send them packing.

At one point a couple years back I started telling people I forgot how to do windows since I only use Linux (worked like a charm)

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 02:03 AM
At one point a couple years back I started telling people I forgot how to do windows since I only use Linux (worked like a charm)
That works; got my dad off my back about decrapifying his vista laptop.

Linye
October 10th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Start charging money.

You will get many fewer requests for help, and those that you do get will be profitable.

This or when they ask, just say "Google it, I'm not in the mood today". Although most of the time you'll have to tell them what to google. lol

Legendary_Bibo
October 10th, 2010, 02:07 AM
almost all of them. As caribou said, windows would be an almost perfect OS without the users ;).

But seriously, I've been in your position before, and I share your sentiments. My usual response: get linux or get out; I don't want to fix your windows install to find you've broken it 2 weeks later and come whining back to me for help. Got my grandma on xubuntu. Of course, you could always start charging, charge double every time they bring back a computer you've already fixed; e.g. 20 the first time, 40, 80..

Yeah, I mentioned Linux to him, and showed him how easy it is to use with my laptop and he was intrigued. I believe he told me he was getting a new laptop because of Vista. My logical question was "why don't you just reinstall Vista, or put Windows 7 on it?" I don't get these people who think "oh Windows broke, time to get a new computer." He did want to know if I would help him set up his laptop to be a kick *** music player with Linux once he gets his new laptop. Ugh...I love tweaking crap in my Ubuntu because I spent a lot of time learning how to do things, that doesn't mean I want to help someone with learning Linux outside of these forums and IRC.

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I don't get these people who think "oh Windows broke, time to get a new computer."
Whenever someone does that, a little bit of me dies. The rest gets a new computer.

Legendary_Bibo
October 10th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Whenever someone does that, a little bit of me dies. The rest gets a new computer.

Same here :P

I just wished for once someone gave me something a bit more powerful than a P4 with 256-512mb of RAM.

MasterNetra
October 10th, 2010, 02:22 AM
At my college where I work as a tutor, some of the tutors have noticed me bringing in my laptop and notebook (laptop runs Ubuntu, notebook runs Win7), and they began asking me how many computers I have which being honest about was a bad idea (laptop, notebook, and I used to have two P4 desktops running Xubuntu, but I gave one away). I also kind of mentioned that I like to take old computers and get some use out of them. Now they keep bugging me about their computer problems, and the want me to fix them. I know how to, and I can, but I really don't want to. Help!!! Make them go away, I never want to lay my eyes on Vista again! Fixing the macbook was easy, the tutor who owns it just didn't know how to connect to the internet, and she just wanted help installing some Magic doohickey touchpad thingy. The guy with the Vista laptop won't leave me alone! He was having BSODs and registry problems so I told him to get CCcleaner, and I had to walk him through how to google for it, how to click a link, and when it got to the point where he needed to know how to download it, I just told him to figure it out for himself. I won't get into walking him through defragging his hard drive. I don't want to be the computer guy, how do you get rid of these people, or at least deal with them‽

"I don't want to be the computer guy, how do you get rid of these people, or at least deal with them?"
Charge for your services. $25 an hour should do.

Legendary_Bibo
October 10th, 2010, 02:27 AM
"I don't want to be the computer guy, how do you get rid of these people, or at least deal with them?"
Charge for your services. $25 an hour should do.

Yeah but what if they take me up on it? They most likely won't, we're all pretty broke.

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Same here :P

I just wished for once someone gave me something a bit more powerful than a P4 with 256-512mb of RAM.
Cluster them. With everybody 'upgrading' to 7 and vista, you'll eventually have...
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/9881/800pxsidslightningmz4.jpg
UNLIMITED POWEEEEEER!

giddyup306
October 10th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Tell the Vista guy that the XP downgrade is available 'till 2020.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179109/Microsoft_extends_Windows_XP_downgrade_rights_unti l_2020

http://whitehatfirm.com/news/windows-xp-pro-available-until-2020/3239.html

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/07/13/ms.extends.option.to.use.xp.for.10.more.years/

Dex73
October 10th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Why does the last link say only until 2014?

lisati
October 10th, 2010, 04:50 AM
This or when they ask, just say "Google it, I'm not in the mood today". Although most of the time you'll have to tell them what to google. lol

I once had "What's Windows?" from someone who was using Windows when I was still using MS-DOS :D

freemanda3
October 11th, 2010, 03:37 AM
looks like you are stuck. Honestly though I would tell them you don't know anything about Microsoft products and that you run Linux only, or you could just give them helping hand and be done with it:lolflag:

nlsthzn
October 11th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Hey, here's a novel idea... Just say "No".

Legendary_Bibo
October 11th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Hey, here's a novel idea... Just say "No".
In America, No means that you haven't persuaded me yet.

Dustin2128
October 11th, 2010, 03:48 AM

just take a ram stick every time you fix a computer. We all know the masses don't need a quarter of the RAM they have....

corrytonapple
October 11th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Completely True.

just take a ram stick every time you fix a computer. We all know the masses don't need a quarter of the RAM they have....
I will try that.:lolflag:
Charge them, say that you are Linux only and forgot how to use Windows, or tell them Best Buy can get it done much quicker without disturbing you.

Legendary_Bibo
October 11th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Hmmm...that sounds like a good idea actually. You see I would like to build a media PC and I could just offer to fix computer for free, but salvage parts from them. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to take the hard drives, and I could probably swap their graphics cards. Oohhhh...it's so clever, it'll actually work! :twisted:

Zerocool Djx
October 11th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Say you don't work for free,....

$100 an hour..

$200 per stupid question...

Dustin2128
October 11th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Hmmm...that sounds like a good idea actually. You see I would like to build a media PC and I could just offer to fix computer for free, but salvage parts from them. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to take the hard drives, and I could probably swap their graphics cards. Oohhhh...it's so clever, it'll actually work! :twisted:
You don't know how painful it is to watch somebody play farmville on an AMD phenom II, clocked at 3.1GHz, geforce 450 and 8GB of RAM.
You can remove everything after farmville for an extra post.

mamamia88
October 11th, 2010, 04:37 AM
This is why I don't mention computers as my hobby stupid people will always want help.

Legendary_Bibo
October 11th, 2010, 06:13 AM
You don't know how painful it is to watch somebody play farmville on an AMD phenom II, clocked at 3.1GHz, geforce 450 and 8GB of RAM.
You can remove everything after farmville for an extra post.

I could just swap cases, and install the Xubuntu I made to look like Windows Vista. They would never be able to tell the difference. :lolflag:

He only use it to browse the internet and listen to music. I always see him use his girlfriend's laptop to type essays. This is the extent to what they use their computers for.

Windows Nerd
October 11th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Teach them how to fix the problem if it comes up again. Or just tell them that you are busy and don't have the time. That's what I generally do. I don't charge people for my work, but I bet if you do it will decrease people coming for your help by tenfold. But do charge less than Best Buy, those guys are the worst for pricing in technical assistance: for example, 100$ to install Windows, antivirus (minus the cost of the antivirus, that itself is another 150$), and to optimize your PC? Honestly, all they have to do is 1) Pop in install disk 2) Wait 5 hours for Windows to install 3) reboot several times 4) Pop in antivirus disk 5) "Optimize" your PC by maybe tweaking a couple of settings in the control panel.

Okay, I should refrain from ranting about Geek Squad now...