PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Glib 2.4.0

dbhatt
October 10th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I am trying to build Pidgin on my Lucid install and on running configure, I get the following:

configure: error:

You must have GLib 2.4.0 or newer development headers installed to build.

If you have these installed already you may need to install pkg-config so
I can find them.
I tried installing pkg-config, but it's already in its newest version. I then tried going to the following website

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/news/story/glib_240_released.html

and downloaded and extracted glib on my computer. That changed nothing. I was hoping someone could tell me what's going on here.

I just tried the this:

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0

and got

libgtk2.0-0 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

lloyd_b
October 10th, 2010, 07:47 AM
You're probably just missing the development headers. Try installing package "libgtk2.0-dev" and see if it makes that error go away.

(many libraries are separated into two packages - the main library package, which is needed to run programs that use the library, and the corresponding "-dev" development package, which contains the extra stuff required to compile programs that use the library).

Lloyd B.

dbhatt
October 11th, 2010, 06:13 PM
That did not work, again because of unmet dependencies. Here's what I got

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgtk2.0-dev: Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (= 2.20.0-0ubuntu4) but 2.20.1-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
Depends: libglib2.0-dev (>= 2.21.3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libpango1.0-dev (>= 1.20) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libatk1.0-dev (>= 1.13.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Following this, I tried building dependencies for libgtk2.0 and I got this

picking 'gtk+2.0' as source package instead of 'libgtk2.0-dev'
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libglib2.0-dev: Depends: libglib2.0-0 (= 2.24.0-0ubuntu4) but 2.24.1-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
E: Build-dependencies for libgtk2.0-dev could not be satisfied.

lloyd_b
October 11th, 2010, 08:49 PM
That did not work, again because of unmet dependencies. Here's what I got

Following this, I tried building dependencies for libgtk2.0 and I got this

Hmmm - some sort of inconsistency between the packages. Have you updated/upgraded that machine recently? Try running "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" on it to ensure that it's fully upgraded. Hopefully, this may clear the inconsistencies.

(the issue here is that libgtk2.0-dev is looking for an *older* version of libgtk (2.20.0-0ubuntu4, rather than 2.20.1-0ubuntu1)

Lloyd B.

dbhatt
October 11th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Yes, I found that surprising too. I am running a Lucid build, and I update pretty regularly but I'll give the update commands a shot anyway.

dbhatt
October 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Still no go. I get the same unmet dependencies. I'm doing all this to build and run Pidgin from the source code that I just downloaded. Is there a proper set of instructions on how to do that? This is my first foray into open source development, which is why I'm so lost.

Matt Harrison
October 12th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Try this to fix the some of the dependencies above:

sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev libpango1.0-dev libatk1.0-dev

This will install GLib so you won't need to compile that, just try configuring pidgin again.

Any reason you are trying to compile Pidgin rather than installing the package?

dbhatt
October 13th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Nope, same error.

dbhatt
October 13th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I went in and enabled the "Recommended Updates" from Synaptic. Following this, I was able to install the lib2.4.0-dev packages that I was looking for.

Craig Harding suggested this solution.