PDA

View Full Version : Can I be lured back?

jcolyn
October 9th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I switched to Mint 9 KDE awhile back in part because of the ease of install and because certain programs were pre-installed at install.

I prefer Gnome over KDE but my desktop would not run Ubuntu 10.04 Gnome. My understanding was the kernel 2.6.32 had issues with my
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) graphics card.

I have been playing with the live CD 10.10 all day with no issues so far. Is this issue fixed with the new kernel 2.6.35??

I also prefer Ubuntu's Gnome look over Mint's..

NightwishFan
October 9th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Not sure, but probably, try a live cd out.

jcolyn
October 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Not sure, but probably, try a live cd out.

I had to edit my original post to say that I have been playing with the live CD today..

fatality_uk
October 9th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I also prefer Ubuntu's Gnome look over Mint's..

If you prefer it, run it!!

Frogs Hair
I would be pretty confident if the live cd works , but this is the first I've heard of your kernel issue.

NightwishFan
It should work then. Try a few 3d benchmarks. Install mesa-tools and run:

glxgears

If that works well then you should have 3d.

jcolyn
October 9th, 2010, 11:33 PM
but this is the first I've heard of your kernel issue.

The below link explains it. I tried all of the workarounds but none worked..

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

jcolyn
October 9th, 2010, 11:34 PM

This isn't the only reason to switch back..

beew
October 9th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I switched to Mint 9 KDE awhile back in part because of the ease of install and because certain programs were pre-installed at install..

In Ubuntu (at least since 10.04 which is my first experience :)) the installation process is smooth and flawless (if you have internet connection) I am not sure how it can be any easier:confused: Since it is so easy to uninstall/install programs with great tools such as Synaptic it surprises me that preinstalled programs should even be an issue in deciding whether to use Ubuntu. Is pointing marking and clicking too much hassle?:)

pwnst*r
October 9th, 2010, 11:41 PM
You already made up your mind. Do it already.

jcolyn
October 9th, 2010, 11:53 PM
You already made up your mind. Do it already.

Actually I have not.

I won't decide till after downloading and playing with the final release tomorrow.

jcolyn
October 9th, 2010, 11:58 PM
In Ubuntu (at least since 10.04 which is my first experience :)) the installation process is smooth and flawless (if you have internet connection) I am not sure how it can be any easier:confused: Since it is so easy to uninstall/install programs with great tools such as Synaptic it surprises me that preinstalled programs should even be an issue in deciding whether to use Ubuntu. Is pointing marking and clicking too much hassle?:)

Proprietary codecs are pre-installed in Mint but not in Ubuntu. My understanding is there is now an option to install during the OS install. I'll have to look into that..

mamamia88
October 10th, 2010, 12:05 AM
mints gnome look can be made too look exactly like ubuntu just by adding a second pannel and deleting mint menu and adding the menu bar to panel. i personally prefer mint because i like the theme better by default and it has some cool backup features.

jcolyn
October 10th, 2010, 12:19 AM
mints gnome look can be made too look exactly like ubuntu just by adding a second pannel and deleting mint menu and adding the menu bar to panel. i personally prefer mint because i like the theme better by default and it has some cool backup features.

The problem with Mint 9 Gnome is the same with Ubuntu 10.04 Gnome. Both have the kernel 2.6.32 which has issues with the gnome desktop.

Trying to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.35 is useless since it freezes up within a few seconds after startup..

I like both Mint and Ubuntu but have been leaning back toward Ubuntu since the new version will already have the newer kernel.

mamamia88
October 10th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I'm running 2.6.32-25 with absolutely no problems in mint 9. what kind of issues are you experiences? edit nvm just read your post feel like an idiot. maybe a fresh install and immediately upgrade kernel? maybe you can even try mint debian edition?

beew
October 10th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Proprietary codecs are pre-installed in Mint but not in Ubuntu. My understanding is there is now an option to install during the OS install. I'll have to look into that..

Yes, but you can install those codecs easily with Synaptic so I don't understand how that would be a make or break issue. Go to synaptic, check Ubuntu restricted extras and click apply and that's it. So what if they are not prebundled? Yes, now the option of installing during OS install is available but it just make the OS installation a bit longer as you would otherwise download and install them after installation. I just can't see what the big deal is. :)

cprofitt
October 10th, 2010, 12:29 AM
OP: No, you can not be lured back. That is up to you. Choice is great!

jcolyn
October 10th, 2010, 12:42 AM
maybe a fresh install and immediately upgrade kernel? maybe you can even try mint debian edition?

The computer freezes up before I can even try upgrading.. Can't even do the upgrade from a cl..

I have Mint Debian on one of my laptops which is working fine..

jcolyn
October 10th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Yes, but you can install those codecs easily with Synaptic so I don't understand how that would be a make or break issue. Go to synaptic, check Ubuntu restricted extras and click apply and that's it. So what if they are not prebundled? Yes, now the option of installing during OS install is available but it just make the OS installation a bit longer as you would otherwise download and install them after installation. I just can't see what the big deal is. :)

But it saved several steps in the install/update.... :mrgreen:

jcolyn
October 10th, 2010, 12:51 AM
My biggest issue with Ubuntu is that totem is automatically installed. A waste in my opinion since they do not open/run QT, Windows Media, etc in firefox. I have to uninstall and install Gecko to get those features. Then install flash and Java plugins.

I know! These are mute issues but none the less................

Khakilang
October 10th, 2010, 06:10 AM

In the Ubuntu software center there is a "Restricted Extras" which I had to download first before I can install any proprietary software, codec, flash and drivers. I guess Mint just make it default.

mikewhatever
October 10th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Indeed. I can't see any reason to lure the OP back.

jcolyn
October 10th, 2010, 03:07 PM
It happened!!!!!!!!!!

I installed 10.10 this morning and everything worked fine till I noticed my images looked odd. I checked my screen resolution which was set to 1280x1024. I reset it to its native resolution of 1440x900. It froze up. After a hard restart it froze up again....and again.......... Can't even access the logs even in safe mode or the cl to see what the problem is..

I could go out and buy a new graphics card and disable the onboard card but downloading Kubuntu 10.10 is a lot easier so I'll give that a try once done..

I'm going to build a new computer soon so will try 10.10 gnome on it once it is built..

jcolyn
October 10th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Kubuntu 10.10 is installed and running fine on this computer.

The more I think about it the more convinced I am that the issue is not kernel related but a conflict between Gnome and my Intel graphics card since everytime I try to set screen resolution to 1440x900 native it freezes up... KDE automatically sets screen resolution to the native 1440x900 with no problems..