PDA

View Full Version : Wishlist for 11.04 / What 10.10 should have had (and doesn't)

Speed_arg
October 9th, 2010, 10:18 PM
USC should not freeze, be fast, have a lot more features, better looking, be customizable.

Overall system should be fast, gtk theme needs to be optimized for being baster.

Lots of bugs have to be fixed

Better hardware detection

Delta updates

Make update manager not so big and more simple, make it work in the background (go to the tray bar), maybe automatic updates

Lucradia
October 9th, 2010, 10:26 PM
USC should not freeze, be fast, have a lot more features, better looking, be customizable.
Doesn't freeze for me.

Overall system should be fast, gtk theme needs to be optimized for being baster.
Works fast for me.

Lots of bugs have to be fixed
Like, what bugs? Links please.

Better hardware detection
What hardware doesn't detect on your system?

Delta updates
Come again? Link to such a term.

Make update manager not so big and more simple, make it work in the background (go to the tray bar), maybe automatic updates
As an option, sure.

Replied in red, expect answers from you soon, hopefully. by the way, my system has a GTX 470, HP Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier, 8 GB of RAM, 1 TB Regular SATA, etc. and works blazing fast, even boots a second faster than windows (which only boots in around 5 seconds.)

stmiller
October 9th, 2010, 10:33 PM
You can already do automatic updates. This has been there for years.

sudo apt-get install unattended-upgrades

You can have it just do security updates automatically, or all updates. :)

Delta updates has been in discussion in many outlets. Currently Fedora and such have this. That would be nice.

Speed_arg
October 9th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Replied in red, expect answers from you soon, hopefully. by the way, my system has a GTX 470, HP Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier, 8 GB of RAM, 1 TB Regular SATA, etc. and works blazing fast, even boots a second faster than windows (which only boots in around 5 seconds.)

You shouldn't need a i7+gtx470+8gb for running OK an OS :lolflag:
With the same hardware, windows is much faster than ubuntu. Yes, boot time might be a bit faster in ubuntu, but who cares about boot time, I rather have a 10 mins boot time and a lighting fast OS than a 5 secs boot and a unresponsive OS.

I have a regular netbook, as most people do. With a netbook hardware, USC is impossible to use because when you hit install it freezes like 5 secs. Also installing a .deb now is terrible. Its a great idea to integrate everything, debs and else into USC, but it should work fine for doing so.

Bugs? Take a look at the 10.10 dev forum, and at launchpad bug list. 10.10 doesn't even install for my other netbook.

About the hardware, I have issues with my resolution.

Delta updates means this:
Say a program updates a few lines of their code, say they change a text. Now, you have to download the entire package (maybe 20mb), with delta updates (what windows has been doing since almost 10 years, and fedora and a few more distros already do) you just download the delta (the different bytes), so instead of downloading a 20mb update for a text changed, you download a few kb.

Lucradia
October 9th, 2010, 10:44 PM
You shouldn't need a AMD Phenom II X6 @ 2.6 GHz+gtx470+8gb for running OK an OS :lolflag:

I have a regular netbook, as most people do. With a netbook hardware, USC is impossible to use because when you hit install it freezes like 5 secs. Also installing a .deb now is terrible. Its a great idea to integrate everything, debs and else into USC, but it should work fine for doing so.
No. Most people who use Ubuntu, use a desktop or older laptop.

About the hardware, I have issues with my resolution.
And that resolution problem is?

Delta updates means this:
Say a program updates a few lines of their code, say they change a text. Now, you have to download the entire package (maybe 20mb), with delta updates (what windows has been doing since almost 10 years, and fedora and a few more distros already do) you just download the delta (the different bytes), so instead of downloading a 20mb update for a text changed, you download a few kb.
Some packages do diff updates, we have had this since the start of Linux.

Fixed and replied again. :)

Speed_arg
October 9th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Fixed and replied again. :)

Lol, it makes no sense what you are saying. Then they have to drop UNE, change min requirements to phenom II x6/i7, 8gb ram, say it doesn't support netbooks nor slow screens, change the slogan about FAST to UBER SLOW AND BLOATED.

It doesn't recognize my resolution

I don't think so, then why has delta debs been proposed (and not done) so many times, and why sometimes I get 400mb of updates.

Lucradia
October 9th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Lol, it makes no sense what you are saying. Then they have to drop UNE, change min requirements to phenom II x6/i7, 8gb ram, say it doesn't support netbooks nor slow screens, change the slogan about FAST to UBER SLOW AND BLOATED.

It doesn't recognize my resolution

I don't think so, then why has delta debs been proposed (and not done) so many times, and why sometimes I get 400mb of updates.

I had a Toshiba Netbook once (Intel Atom, one core, two threads) and it worked medium-fast, everything was pretty much detected.

dinamic1
October 9th, 2010, 11:51 PM
USC is boring slooooow, unresponsive, freezes a lot ... even scrolling is sluggish

AMD athlon 2500+

:(

bash
October 10th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Delta updates
Come again? Link to such a term.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ubuntu+delta+updates

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 03:18 AM
my system has a GTX 470, HP Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier, 8 GB of RAM, 1 TB Regular SATA, etc.
thanks a lot, you fried my keyboard.

Lucradia
October 10th, 2010, 03:56 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ubuntu+delta+updates

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/13/

wow, no developer reply? :shock:

asdacap
October 23rd, 2010, 11:40 AM
DELTA UPDATE!!!
I NEED YOU!!
PLEASE...
hello?

Anyway, according to what I've read before, Ubuntu does not (yet) have delta update because ubuntu repos refresh 25 times a day, which means, the server would need to generate delta of the 300GB++ repos every hour if it use the same technique as Debian which already has delta update and Debian repo refresh daily. It was said that they would do the zsync (bla..bla..bla..) technique, but that is years ago and still, no delta update.

Back to the screaming...

GIMME THE DELTA UPDATE!!!!!
I WON'T SWITCH FROM FEDORA UNTIL YOU GIVE ME DELTA UPDATE!!!
WAAAAAAARRRGHHHH!!!!!!

utilitytrack
October 23rd, 2010, 02:50 PM
Stability.

98cwitr
October 23rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
I still have nvidia issues with what seems like interlace lag at high frame rates when watching movies. Lines get drawn on the screen, splitting the frame transition. I'd really this to finally be fixed.

Ditch Brasero and go with K3B

Build in actual Java and not OpenJDK

Build a GUI based boot time process and service config (like msconfig in windows)

Cam!
October 23rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
Have the bottom panel's window list automatically group windows by default.
Remove the username from the top panel, and replace it with an icon.
The ability to select from Chrome, Firefox, or Opera during installation
Make Ambiance a lighter shade of grey/black, and Radiance white.
Redesign the Human icon theme.
Login Screen customization.
New sound scheme.
New cursor. It looks too similar to Windows 7's.
New Screensavers.
Better 64-bit Flash support.
GNOME + GTK 3 support.

NightwishFan
October 23rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
The ability to select from Chrome, Firefox, or Opera during installation
New sound scheme.
New Screensavers.
Better 64-bit Flash support.
GNOME + GTK 3 support.

I agree and have suggested this.
Perhaps, has merit.
Hmm.. Yeah actually that would be nice to, but an extra option to click. Have to find a way to make cool easy configuration like that elegant.
I am all for theme evolution.
Same as above.
Yes, I agree. GDM2 could has a config very easily. In fact you can configure it with gnome-appearance-properties (run it as user gdm).
Could do with one by now, yes.
Win7 looks like ours. :)
I am indifferent.
This probably will not happen until the adobe plugin goes stable.
Will naturally evolve.

utilitytrack
October 23rd, 2010, 05:43 PM
New sound scheme.
New Screensavers.
GNOME + GTK 3 support.

WTF? For wich purpose this? Did you looked at this page at least once?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.searchtext=&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=)

Pay attention on the real problems. Especially note #47768, #645818, #657788, #21175, #26058, #27969, #32123, #46520, #68252. Some bugs that related to GRUB are terrible. And do you agree, that next Ubuntu will be released with all it's unresolved bugs? Yes, you agree, because you suggest to have new cursor and screensaver instead of stability.