PDA

View Full Version : differences between UNR and regular?

kraylus
October 9th, 2010, 10:00 PM
besides the obvious interface differences that are included (unity), am i essentially installing the same ubuntu, just with a spiffy desktop added?

or is there a different set of drivers or a completely differently configured kernel or something?

with the unity thingymajigger installed, i assume i can switch between that and regular gnome desktop at will, correct?

i heard that if i try to install regular ubuntu, parts of the install interface will be cut off due to the smaller resolution. so i figure i can get UNR edition and have a somewhat easier time with the installation, but still get the same awesome ubuntu desktop. if i went with the regular install, i could also just download the UNR package or whatever and be good to go, right?

can someone clarify the differences? the big deal for me is that i dont have access to internet where i can download packages whenever i want. im stationed in iraq right now for the next little while and i can only use this terminal to check email and surf a bit. i was plannin on getting one of the commo guys to download me a copy of ubuntu when 10.10 came out.

so if drivers are gonna be different on UNR and more geared towards netbooks, id want to know.

and lets say i DO have to get a few extra packages... how would i go about doin that? i can plug a usb drive into this terminal (not sposed to) and xfer files now and then. is it relatively easy to get my ubuntu box to pull the packages it needs from there? i spose id have to get a buncha dependencies and whatnot.... ugh....

enlightenment pls?

thanks!

ryan

kerry_s
October 9th, 2010, 11:02 PM
same, just netbook has both the normal & unity, which you can select from at the log in screen.

lbrty
October 9th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Please read the following:

The only difference between Ubuntu Netbook, Ubuntu Desktop, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc. is the desktop environment (user interface) and pre-installed applications. They are all the same core system "under the hood." I would recommend choosing the desktop environment you like best and that is most productive for you, and then install any extra apps you need from the Software Center.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590902#post9940482

snowpine
October 10th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I'm famous! :)

As I mentioned in the other thread, same kernel, same drivers, different user interface. :)

lbrty
October 10th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I'm famous! :smile:

ahaha! Too funny! =)

Did you ever get a chance to take a look at the results I posted for your Debian + LXDE request on the Light Distros thread?

If you are taking suggestions for further testing, I suggest Debian + LXDE. I'd be curious to see how it stacks up to Lubuntu.

snowpine
October 10th, 2010, 12:42 AM
ahaha! Too funny! =)

Did you ever get a chance to take a look at the results I posted for your Debian + LXDE request on the Light Distros thread?

I did; very disappointing. :( But thank you for running the tests!

kraylus
October 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Please read the following:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590902#post9940482

after having tried both the ubuntu netbook remix and the regular desktop version im going to have to respectfully disagree with the idea that both installations are the same except for the front-end.

netbook remix comes with different software installed (e.g. cheese) and there are drivers that are included with the regular desktop version that aren't included with the netbook version. like my network card, for example.

just a heads up for anyone else wondering the same thing i was.

ryan