PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 LTS praises and 1 complaint;

fritzman
October 9th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I've been using Lucid LTS since its release, and I love it! Everything that I had installed and working in 9.04 and 9.10 continued to work flawlessly with NO tinkering required at all, with one glaring exception. That is grub-pc. It just seems to me that the install script for grub-pc could be intuitive enough to see the configuration I had with grub (legacy), and automatically make the necessary entries into the appropriate files for grub-pc so that the boot-splash I was using with grub would automatically be used with grub-pc.
It is true that my complaint will sound like I'm just too lazy to make the necessary changes. In fact I am too lazy for that. Why should I have to do any editing of files at all just to keep my boot configurations from the legacy grub? I didn't have to do anything with VirtualBox. It built the necessary module automatically. Nor did I have to do anything with NVIDIA. It also built the necessary module automatically.
I didn't have to tinker with anything at all, except grub-pc. So, true to my laziness, I simply uninstalled grub-pc, and re-installed grub. This is probably extremely petty, but this is rather like a pimple on the face of a beautiful person, made even more annoying because that pimple wasn't there before!!

owa:)