PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] acpi=off where to set?

ottosykora
October 9th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I have tested just now if my small compaq 110 will work with ubuntu 10.04.1, it works from the life CD, but it needs the acpi=off to be set.

Whe I install it from that CD, where do I have to set the acpi=off before I reboot? (the ubuntu will not boot otherwise)

sisco311
October 9th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Method 1 - Edit the grub menu item at boot time.

During the bootup hold down the SHIFT key. At the grub menu select Ubuntu and press e for edit.

Append the linux line with the boot option (acpi=off) and press Ctrl+x to boot.

Once booted in Ubuntu, edit the /etc/default/grub file:

gksu gedit /etc/default/gruband replace the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi=off",

then generate a new Grub2 config file:
sudo update-grub

Method 2 - CHROOT

Before rebooting from the Live CD session, mount the root partition:

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
replace /dev/sdXY with the actual device name of the root partition (i.e. /dev/sda1). If you don't know the device name, check it in System -> Administration -> GParted.

Mount the virtual filesystems:

for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do
sudo mount --bind $i /mnt$i
done

Chroot into Ubuntu:

sudo chroot /mnt

Edit the /etc/default/grub file:

nano /etc/default/grub
and add the acpi=off option to the appropriate line. Save the file and exit (Ctrl+x, y, Enter).

Generate a new Grub2 config file:
update-grub

Exit from the chroot:

exit

Unmount the virtual filesystems & the root partition:

for i in /dev/pts /dev /proc /sys / ;do
sudo umount /mnt$i
done

reboot:

sudo reboot

efflandt
October 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
If you need that parameter to initially boot an installed system, press e at the grub menu, then insert that on the same line as quiet splash. If Ubuntu is the only OS on your system and you have not seen the grub menu, press and hold Shift key after your BIOS splash screen to see the grub menu.

Note that if a kernel boot parameter is "always" required to run your PC properly, in /etc/default/grub instead of putting it in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" (which applies to normal boot to a gui), instead put it within the quotes of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" [which applies to "any" boot, including (recovery) boot to console].

sisco311
October 9th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Note that if a kernel boot parameter is "always" required to run your PC properly, in /etc/default/grub instead of putting it in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" (which applies to normal boot to a gui), instead put it within the quotes of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" [which applies to "any" boot, including (recovery) boot to console].

Good point! Thanks! :)