PDA

View Full Version : No Ubuntu 10.10 for me...

chessnerd
October 9th, 2010, 05:43 AM
So, tomorrow is the big day. Ubuntu 10.10 on 10/10/10. The Meerkat will most certainly be a Maverick, with plenty of support for new hardware, new apps, and the much besotted new Ubuntu Font. But, I realized that I probably won't be upgrading to 10.10 on any of my machines.

On my older desktop, definitely not. It uses 10.04 with vanilla Xfce and I don't feel like going through the trouble of upgrading the old machine. I think I'll let Lucid run its course and retire the desktop in 2013. (After which, I might add, most of the parts would have been in use for 12 years. ;))

I'm quite happy with the current setup on my laptop and it will have 10.04 for the foreseeable future (at least until the school year ends, in May).

Honestly, it all comes down to my newer desktop. It is currently disconnected from the Internet and is used only for playing Sims 2 on Windows XP, so I won't upgrade at the moment. If I get it a new wireless card, then maybe, just maybe, it'll see Ubuntu 10.10 on the hard drive... :)

TheNerdAL
October 9th, 2010, 05:45 AM
O_O Tommorrow is the 9th for me and it's the 10th for you? You're from the future or something? :P

MisterGaribaldi
October 9th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I fear I must agree with the OP on this one.

I will not be installing 10.10 on my toaster, or on my microwave, or on the light switch in the hall that keeps me from bumping into things in the night. (Night time is, of course, the best time to bump into the unexpected.)

I will, however, be installing 10.10 on my desktop PC in the near future.

chessnerd
October 9th, 2010, 05:55 AM
O_O Tommorrow is the 9th for me and it's the 10th for you? You're from the future or something? :P

I'm located within the bounds of the Eastern time zone, therefore, it is currently October 9th, 12:54 AM here. Tomorrow is the 10th for me. :)

nlsthzn
October 9th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Big world out there... it's Sat 9th of Oct. 9:00am here :lolflag:

Dustin2128
October 9th, 2010, 07:05 AM
9th, 2:04 am here. Texas is central right?

MisterGaribaldi
October 9th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Check your time. It's 2:11 A.M. Eastern right now.

Texas should be 12:11 A.M.

V for Vincent
October 9th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I'll probably be holding off the upgrade for a while. Not because I've run into major issues before, but because 10.04 works for me and because I'm short on time these days.

Khakilang
October 9th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Its 3:55 pm on 9th. October over here in Malaysian time. But I think we have to wait for the Western time to turn to 10th. October before we can download. Is that correct? Anyway I may use it on my other older computer to see how it goes.

lisati
October 9th, 2010, 09:08 AM
It's 9.07 PM here on the 9th; in just under 3 hours, it will be 42 10.10.10

Prohibited
October 9th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Wait, its being released tomorrow?

I'm in New Zealand so its Saturday, 9th October (9:22 p.m.) and I was expecting to wait until the 11th for me until its released.

If it is released at some point tomorrow then thats awesome.

Khakilang
October 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Wait, its being released tomorrow?

I'm in New Zealand so its Saturday, 9th October (9:22 p.m.) and I was expecting to wait until the 11th for me until its released.

If it is released at some point tomorrow then thats awesome.

I think we have to wait for the Western time to turn to 10th. October maybe due to the location of the server so it maybe 11th. October for us. Anybody have any idea?

nlsthzn
October 9th, 2010, 09:33 AM
What I have read there is no specific time, it will all depend when the mirrors have all been synced etc. However in my experience it will happen late on the 10th so I wouldn't be surprised if NZ is already on the 11th when it happens (would be awesome if they manage the 10th world-wide)...

Rasa1111
October 9th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Bummer.

10.10 is amazing! :KS

drawkcab
October 9th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Tried 10.10 UNE on my netbook last night. I conlcuded that Unity needs a lot of work so I went back to 10.04 this afternoon. Maybe I will upgrade to 10.10 on my htpc.

m4tic
October 9th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Its 11:10 here in south africa. i win't be upgrading myself, the RC wouldn't even boot. it seems windows and Ubuntu users are always re-installing their os more than mac users. should we be upgrading the entire os rather than updating applications.

ubunterooster
October 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Been using 10.10 for about 4 months already. I like it

gemmakaru
October 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Well I installed my new ssd a few days ago and have been running 7 on it so far. As soon as maverick is ready it will be on here too and will probably enjoy 95%+ of the gemma laptop market share.

Heres to hoping maverick is as good as karmic was.

thomas144
October 9th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hey, everyone!
It looks like we're all biting out nails for the 10.10 release!
It's 10:03 AM in Pennsylvania right now, and that's 1403 UTC for the rest of the Earth.
Come tomorrow, my 1mbps Internet connection will be chugging along.
Given a little experience and some reading, 10.10 should come out around 1630 UTC. If you see Ubuntu 10.10 anywhere on the mirrors, please let us know immediately. I'll probably be seeding it on the torrents tomorrow (but only at by blistering upload speed of 384 kbps ;)) as soon as I can get my copy of Ubuntu.

P.S. A rock-solid Ubuntu release mirror is http://mirror.yellowfiber.net/ubuntu/
At least right now, it gives me about the fastest download speed that I can get on my cheap Verizon DSL connection.

PS, there's an awsome program called zsync that makes it possible to take an old Ubuntu iso and update it. I'm going to download all the release candidates today and update them tomorrow. Read about it here (http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2009/10/29/use-zsync-to-update-existing-iso-images/)

nlsthzn
October 9th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Hey, everyone!
It looks like we're all biting out nails for the 10.10 release!
It's 10:03 AM in Pennsylvania right now, and that's 1403 UTC for the rest of the Earth.
Come tomorrow, my 1mbps Internet connection will be chugging along.
Given a little experience and some reading, 10.10 should come out around 1630 UTC. If you see Ubuntu 10.10 anywhere on the mirrors, please let us know immediately. I'll probably be seeding it on the torrents tomorrow (but only at by blistering upload speed of 384 kbps ;)) as soon as I can get my copy of Ubuntu.

P.S. A rock-solid Ubuntu release mirror is http://mirror.yellowfiber.net/ubuntu/
At least right now, it gives me about the fastest download speed that I can get on my cheap Verizon DSL connection.

PS, there's an awsome program called zsync that makes it possible to take an old Ubuntu iso and update it. I'm going to download all the release candidates today and update them tomorrow. Read about it here (http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2009/10/29/use-zsync-to-update-existing-iso-images/)

Still very much undecided if I will do the upgrade, I will however definitly be downloading and seeding as soon as it is available (I like to support http://linuxtracker.org/)

Newtonian
October 9th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I'll be using xubuntu anyway. On your desktop I believe it's still possible to run ubuntu 10.10.

drawkcab
October 9th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Still very much undecided if I will do the upgrade, I will however definitly be downloading and seeding as soon as it is available (I like to support http://linuxtracker.org/)

Linuxtracker rox! :guitar:

beew
October 9th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I am now logging in from the Maverick daily build which I installed on an external hdd for trial. Without installing anything additional I discovered that Open office doesn't open (pun intended). But wifi works out of the box at least on the machine that I have Lucid running now. I will stick to 10.04 for a while and may install 10.10 on a different machine (I have two and a half :)) after the final release come out and bugs complaints arrive on these forums. Meanwhile I will be continuing testing with the external drive installation.

MasterNetra
October 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I am now logging in from the Maverick daily build which I installed on an external hdd for trial. Without installing anything additional I discovered that Open office doesn't open (pun intended). But wifi works out of the box at least on the machine that I have Lucid running now. I will stick to 10.04 for a while and may install 10.10 on a different machine (I have two and a half :)) after the final release come out and bugs complaints arrive on these forums. Meanwhile I will be continuing testing with the external drive installation.

I have no issues with opening Open Office. Then again didn't try it at vanilla RC. I'm fully updated atm

And no waiting to DL for me either. :P Probably DL the final iso a few days after release when traffic dies down

beew
October 10th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Finally got openoffice to open. I delete the .openoffice.org folder in /home, uninstall OO.O and reinstall it and it worked. Wow it is fast and the interface is nice, I hope I will get it in the PPA for Lucid.

giddyup306
October 10th, 2010, 12:26 AM
No Nubuntu? I've been using it as my primary OS on my desktop since the Beta came out. I love it. As soon as the official release comes out I'll be putting it on my laptop as well. Hopefully it will correct my wireless issues...

BTW here it's Dec 5th, 1955.

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Nubuntu?

Also see: http://www.nubuntu.com/

thomas144
October 10th, 2010, 01:20 AM
No Ubuntu 10.10 for me, either. I think I'll hold onto Ubuntu 10.04 LTS until Ubuntu 12.04 LTS comes out. I'll still download 10.10 and run the live version in a Virtualbox, though!
P.S. It's now 8:19 PM Eastern Time October 9, but it's 0020 UTC...on October 10!