PDA

View Full Version : How frequently do you reboot your linux PC

siimo
October 9th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Note, I am not referring to servers / home servers that people leave on 24/7 as that is their purpose.

But what about your PC/Laptop computer.

I am using Maverick Meerkat and generally I never turn it off, I always use Hibernate when I want to turn it off at night. Only time I reboot is if I upgrade the kernel, which isn't often as I don't use default kernels.

I see people complaining about slow boot time and time consuming fsck checks, but I am not affected by this as I always use Hiberbate. It hibernates in about 3-4 seconds, and resume takes around 5-10 seconds from the Grub menu. I think I have maybe done 1-2 fsck checks in the whole year.

NCLI
October 9th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I turn my desktop off at night, so every day, but my netbook just hibernates. I only reboot it after kernel updates, so 1-2 times per month?

kaldor
October 9th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Laptop is reboot often. No less than once a day (moving around, night etc)

Desktop is rarely off.

Storage server (headless) barely ever rebooted. It's only been rebooted once in 2010, and that was due to a power outage... and that computer is old.. surprised it still runs.

David Batty
October 9th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I always shut down all my devices as soon as I'm finished. I'm a cheapskate when it comes to power, I even turn the light off when I leave the room.

NightwishFan
October 9th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I always shut down all my devices as soon as I'm finished. I'm a cheapskate when it comes to power, I even turn the light off when I leave the room.

This. I usually only leave my laptop on if it has a purpose. My server machines are all remote handled at another place where I do not pay the bill. :)

Though I have my laptop configured for very good power management.

CharlesA
October 9th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I reboot whenever I get the "reboot required" message...

NMFTM
October 9th, 2010, 02:31 AM
- Whenever Update-manager installs a new kernal update and I have to reboot for it to take effect

- Whenever Seti@Home has no more data units to process I shut the computer down for the night. Because I like my room to be as close to pitch black as possible when I go to sleep.

cgroza
October 9th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I reboot at kernel updates and if shutting down and turning on the next day counts as a reboot then 2 or 3 times a day.

Frogs Hair
October 9th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Often , I have no need to keep the computer running when I'm not using it .

Khakilang
October 9th, 2010, 02:48 AM
My computer rarely reboot except for kernel update but I usually I would say reboot later as I am always in the middle of something and once I finish I just off my computer and on it the next time I use it. I would say 2 - 3 times a day. Only on 1 occasion my computer hang while processing some pictures in Gimp and I have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot my computer. Don't know the reason why it hang but after the reboot everything works fine to the end.

cartman640
October 9th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I only shut mine down when I go on holiday, don't need to worry about power as my Ubuntu desktop is my work machine, so work pays the bills. It runs backups at night too (and any other maintenance jobs that need doing) which is the primary reason I don't shut it down.

MisterGaribaldi
October 9th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Well, I'm running two different Linux boxen. My Ubuntu desktop is off whenever I'm not using it. My Debian server is up all the time and is only ever rebooted if I've just done heavy updating on it (or a kernel upgrade) and it's only ever shut down when I'm doing physical work on the network. Otherwise, it's up and running by the quarter or longer.

foxmulder881
October 9th, 2010, 04:11 AM
My PC is on 24/7. Always downloading something. For good measure, I only reboot once every 10 days or so.

Queue29
October 9th, 2010, 04:23 AM
My server hit the big 3 digits for the first time today

mry@AtomBozo:~$ uptime
22:21:31 up 100 days, 12:04, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.02, 0.00
mry@AtomBozo:~$ uprecords
# Uptime | System Boot up
----------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
-> 1 100 days, 12:04:09 | Linux 2.6.24-27-server Wed Jun 30 10:17:26 2010
2 42 days, 21:52:41 | Linux 2.6.24-27-server Tue May 18 11:17:55 2010
3 21 days, 13:34:45 | Linux 2.6.24-27-server Sun Apr 18 11:16:33 2010
----------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
NewRec 57 days, 14:11:27 | since Thu Aug 12 08:10:07 2010
mry@AtomBozo:~$

CharlesA
October 9th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Nice, the most mine's been able to hit is 16 days. Security updates/kernel updates that require a reboot sure put a damper on yer uptime.

mordoc
October 9th, 2010, 05:09 AM
As with others, the netbook is put in either suspend or hibernate and the server sits on 24/7. Due to updates requiring reboots I think the longest I have gone is 20 some days.

Hman242
October 9th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Normally I only turn my computer off when I am done with it for the day, I will have it on all day after I get home. However, I have had to reboot twice today because Lucid froze. Both times it was when I plugged in my laptop's charger :/ Oh well.

I plan to have my computer on 24/7 for the next five days though, which I normally don't do.

mamamia88
October 9th, 2010, 06:44 AM
usually between 8 and 14 days. i usually just suspend my laptop.

bouncingwilf
October 9th, 2010, 08:20 AM
1. Desktop turned off every evening.
2. Netbook only started and shutdown on demand.
3. The wife usually restart her laptop at least once daily.
4. The boat computer shuts down automatically 5 seconds after I stop the engine (anyone who's ever tried to bump start a boat with a flat battery will understand why!)

bouncingwilf

ellebanna
October 9th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I have Wubi so Hibernate does not work :(

I could not figure out how to actually get it working so I had to stick with Wubi. now that I only get the BSOD when I try to login to XP, I am sticking with it and all its weird quirks.

v1ad
October 9th, 2010, 08:37 AM
bah only 42 days, must have rebooted when installed updates... thats my server. my laptop boots up in 7 seconds so i don't hesitate to shut it down. desktop maybe once a week i'll turn it off.

Peter09
October 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM
My laptop takes longer to hibernate than shutdown and longer to resume from hibernation than startup normally.

t.rei
October 9th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Since I have to manually start a bunch of applications after a reboot (don't want them in the startup programs) I prefer suspend/resume for my laptop as long as there hasn't been a kernel upgrade or anything else that requires me to do a reboot.

Spice Weasel
October 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Home PC:

09:14:11 up 13:44, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.15, 0.17
Server: (just for kicks)

08:15:58 up 5 days, 14:41, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Not that long compared to some people I guess.

RandomJoe
October 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I have Ubuntu in a VM on my MBP. It is almost always running, it "suspends" when I suspend OS X to put the whole machine to sleep. On rare occasion I'll suspend the VM itself. The only time I ever reboot the VM is on updates.

I also have Ubuntu (UNR) on an Eee netbook. I usually just "sleep" it - suspend to RAM. Reboots there seem to depend on how often I open/close it, or perhaps on how flaky the wifi signal is. Sometimes it'll run a very long time - until the next "reboot required" update anyway. Other times, I may only get a day or two before things get squirrely and I reboot to clean it up. Most often the wifi card won't connect, or it connects but doesn't pass data reliably.

mamamia88
October 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM
question with kernel updates do you need to completely reboot or can you just log off? i usually just completely reboot

formaldehyde_spoon
October 9th, 2010, 03:03 PM
often , i have no need to keep the computer running when i'm not using it .
+1

CharlesA
October 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
question with kernel updates do you need to completely reboot or can you just log off? i usually just completely reboot

I thought you need to reboot so it can boot into the new kernel, but I've heard conflicting information.

anjilslaire
October 9th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Yes, its a full reboot for new kernel changes to take effect.

simpleblue
October 9th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I thought you need to reboot so it can boot into the new kernel, but I've heard conflicting information.

I'll be putting Ksplice on and trying it out. It allows you to do kernel updates without having to reboot.

http://www.ksplice.com/

I hope this works well.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 9th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I have 10 computers in my home. I try to shut them down when not in use. There is 1 computer that is attached to the big screen TV monitor that stays on all the time. It runs Windows 7; therefore, I reboot it about once a month on "Patch Tuesday".

weasel fierce
October 9th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Kernel updates or if I am going to be gone for more than a day, or if the fan sounds like the machine is going to take off and fly away on a very hot day.

inobe
October 9th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Note, I am not referring to servers / home servers that people leave on 24/7 as that is their purpose.

But what about your PC/Laptop computer.

I am using Maverick Meerkat and generally I never turn it off, I always use Hibernate when I want to turn it off at night. Only time I reboot is if I upgrade the kernel, which isn't often as I don't use default kernels.

I see people complaining about slow boot time and time consuming fsck checks, but I am not affected by this as I always use Hiberbate. It hibernates in about 3-4 seconds, and resume takes around 5-10 seconds from the Grub menu. I think I have maybe done 1-2 fsck checks in the whole year.

slow boot times ?

who would even care, i mean i can understand something not booting up in over a minute than that would be cause to annoyance, anyone wanting better then that should run slitaz or something.

i see some other platforms taking minutes to boot to just a welcome screen on high end hardware, you can go take a shower and when you get back it's just loading sys tray icons, feel glad your up in under a minute.

edit: to answer the question, i shut down my desktop to conserve energy when not in use.

desnaike
October 9th, 2010, 10:28 PM
i always shut down all my devices as soon as i'm finished. I'm a cheapskate when it comes to power, i even turn the light off when i leave the room.

+1