PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Less customizable

ki4jgt
October 8th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Is it just me, or does Ubuntu seem less customizable than previous releases. I'm not trying to start anything here, well maybe I am. Just wondering, why users have lost the ability to customize the start up sound (unless you're really tech savvy) I know how to do it, but my parents freaked.

JustinR
October 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM
The only lack of customization I see in Ubuntu is GDM Login Manager. But what do you mean about the startup sound? All you have to do is replace the sound file. Which can be found in System > Preferences > Startup Applications > GNOME Login Sound.

LowSky
October 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Seems just as customizable as its been for a while now.

If you want more control over your OS, install Gentoo or Arch.

foxmulder881
October 9th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I can find a way to customize anything in any Linux distro. You just have to look harder on some over others.

Austin25
October 9th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I agree. I think I'll try arch sometime.

Tibuda
October 9th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Seems just as customizable as its been for a while now.

If you want more control over your OS, install Gentoo or Arch.

or ubuntu minimal (http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal).

murderslastcrow
October 9th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Loss of customizations for GDM and the sound system are a shame. Of course, you could just use Kubuntu and get all that back.

Also, GDM is an issue with Gnome, and our adoption of its newer technology. However, I think the sound GUI is Ubuntu's work. I remember how badly I flipped out when that happened over a year ago- I assumed it would be fixed quickly. Apparently not.

Of course, there is probably a package to restore that utility.

ki4jgt
October 9th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Yeah, back in the day, Ubuntu was majorly customizable. You didn't have to replace anything. The startup sound could be chosen/browsed for and set in the sound preferences. The GDM I totally forgot about that one. Why is the system locking down like that. I mean yes, I get that they allow you to change anything you want, but you have the ability to do that with Windows too.

ubunterooster
October 9th, 2010, 02:16 AM
The only lack of customization I see in Ubuntu is GDM Login Manager. But what do you mean about the startup sound? All you have to do is replace the sound file. Which can be found in System > Preferences > Startup Applications > GNOME Login Sound.
This

[/thread]

NightwishFan
October 9th, 2010, 02:21 AM
or ubuntu minimal (http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal).

Gandalf.. We must join with Sauron. It would be... wise.

Khakilang
October 9th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Never got the habit of customization my OS. I guess I am too busy to bother such thing as I like the way it is. Maybe in the later stage once I am familiar with the ins and out, I might try. Only I can find a reason why. If it ain't broke why fix it.

Dustin2128
October 9th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Gandalf.. We must join with Sauron. It would be... wise.
It would indeed, the time of the elves is fading, and the blood of Numenor is all but spent.

ki4jgt
October 9th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Wow, LOL LOTR reference in Ubuntu. I have been to the forums a lot here lately and I think I found my new web home!

m4tic
October 9th, 2010, 10:24 AM
It would indeed, the time of the elves is fading, and the blood of Numenor is all but spent.

Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes