PDA

View Full Version : Modern days games:

jfreak_
October 8th, 2010, 04:44 PM
So I was thinking after playing a 12 year old game for 5 hours everyday for the last one week, why aren't new games immersive enough? Sure they have mind-boggling graphics and great sound effects but there is no depth in playing. One can play most of the new games for a maximum of a few weeks and then you are done and dusted. And they cost SO MUCH. I mean I bought this 12 year old game(Ceasar 3) dirt cheap for 6$ and I have been at it for nearly two years and have not yet manged to finish it without cheats. Compare it with say age of empires 3, which I finished in like two weeks and I feel that AOE was a waste of my money.
So what's your opinion?

Spice Weasel
October 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM
They're not games - they are online CGI generated B Movies now.

Phrea
October 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
They're not games - they are online CGI generated B Movies now.

pwnst*r
October 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
There's a lot of good modern games that have depth, but they're becoming more scarce because, like Hollywood, people are running out of ideas.

Cuddles McKitten
October 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM
There's a lot of good modern games that have depth, but they're becoming more scarce because, like Hollywood, people are running out of ideas.

Plus, there's much less exploration to be done. Predictions on what will be profitable or not are much, much more accurate than in say '92 when the industry was still in its toddler stage. It's pretty much guaranteed that if you publish 3D shooter #5,692,112 with the shiniest graphics available, you'll at least get your investment back.

3Miro
October 8th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Ceaser 3, that game was not nearly as good as Zeus. The latter actually had some balance.

At any rate, Civ IV is 3D and shiny and it does have great depth. I haven't played the new Civ V yet.

Dragon's Age has stunning graphics and it one of the best RPG games ever.

Starcraft II, 3D, shiny and on top of all the RTS.

Check out STALKER games for 3D shooter with depth of story, exporation, gameplay that requires braincells and so on.

OK I admit, since Zeus, I have not seen a good city building game.

I am not sure if good quality games are fewer or is that they seem so compared to the sea of crap out there. You just have to do some research before you buy.

balaknair
October 8th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Ahhh... Caesar 3. Now that was such a great game(countless hours wasted playing the game as well as poor grades because I was planning city layouts and defensive startegies in class). Takes you from elation at having achieved high culture in you city to heartbreak and disappointment as you watch a bunch oh of #$^*&ing barbarians reduce your hippodrome to rubble.
I tried Caesar 4 when it came out but it was nowhere as good. AOE doesn't even compare(though AOE 2: Conqueror's expansion was a pretty good game in its own right).

Thanks for this opputunity to reminisce.
:D

@3Miro:
Haven't played Zeus, but I do agree Civ IV is rather cool. Starcraft wasn't quite to my liking but I only tried a demo ages ago.
Thanks to you I might just check it out again.

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Master of Orion 1 & 2 are amazing games. I've beat them before when I lowered the difficulty, but the immersion factor is impressive. MOO 3 isn't bad with a couple of patches installed either. As for other games- I'm pretty much wedged in 3 series for RPG immersion factor- zelda, the elder scrolls, and final fantasy. Other than that, I almost always feel ripped off upon beating a new game. Star wars the force unleashed - 3 1/2 hours. Zero replay value.

ubunterooster
October 8th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I haven't played the new Civ V yet.

I am not sure if good quality games are fewer or is that they seem so compared to the sea of crap out there. You just have to do some research before you buy.
Civ V is nice. Takes a lot of power that was too much for my laptop. I have yet to try it on my new desktop but will do that soon.

So much coal that it buries the diamonds would describe current gaming markets

Naiki Muliaina
October 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM
There are a few Linux games that have depth and are modern. Machinarium although short was utterly fantastic and looked great. Osmos was chuffing hard and very immersive!

I certainly feel that games or no more or less immersive than they used to be. There has always been a lot of games released at one time since C64 / Spectrum days, the good ones have always been few and far between.

There is just a bigger catalogue of old games so more decent ones.

Davor Posavec
October 8th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Just download "Wine" and select the game what you want to play.

drawkcab
October 8th, 2010, 09:35 PM
It's called planned obsolescence. If you give someone an awesome game with all kinds of free expansions, well then they play it for too long and don't buy new games. It's better to release a graphically intense game that, while short, provides immediate gratification and then trickle out expansions that the consumer pays for.

NightwishFan
October 8th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I have yet to find a shooter that tops Perfect Dark.

kevin11951
October 9th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I have yet to find a shooter that tops Perfect Dark.

I have yet to find any game that tops Half-Life 2...

LowSky
October 9th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Wait... Civ 5 is out? Miss that launch date...LOL

murderslastcrow
October 9th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Castlevania : Lords of Shadow will certainly scratch your itch for that immersive, time-munching, satisfying game to play.