PDA

View Full Version : Am I worth enough for the USA Computer Science market?

markinf
October 8th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Long story ahead! Please read and help me :

Hello Guys,
I was born in San Francisco,CA-USA, but my parents are Brazilians. I was about to finish my high school in SF/CA and my family realized that they didn't have enough money to pay for a university. So I went to Brazil and studied Computer Science in a public university there (In Brazil the public university are considered the best ones). I'm finish up my course now and along the way I learned a lot of things.

I worked with initial research in my university in the middleware environment, specifically, on Ginga, the official Brazil Digital TV Middleware. In Ginga I worked on the intercommunication layer, making a bridge between Java applications and NCL/Lua. I also participated in Google Summer of Code for the GNU Classpath project. And I'm hoping to get my JSCP and LPI certification next month.

I'm wanting to go back and work on a cool/great company in US. The fact is that I'm thinking that my CS course in Brazil can be a problem, but I know that I did a excellent course! What you guys think about this? Also, do you think my curriculum is ok for a entry job in one of these great companies (like: IBM/Red Hat)?

Overall, my resume is:
- Computer Science Bachelor Degree in Brazil
- Worked on DTV MIddleware in Intercommunication layer (Java <--> NCL/Lua)
- Participated in Google Summer of Code
- Excellent GNU/Linux skills
- Excellent Java skills
- Strong C++
- (Soon) SCJP
- (Soon) LPI 1 (101 & 102)

juancarlospaco
October 8th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Yes, it is, but get the LPI i suggest,
also consider Canonical, is hiring right now...

Cuddles McKitten
October 8th, 2010, 04:46 PM
If all else fails, you can play up your Portuguese fluency/familiarity with Brazilian culture to help with localization of software as a way to get your foot in the door. Brazil is a pretty big market, and not many large companies are going to ignore it.

3Miro
October 8th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I have no idea if you can be hired in the US, however, even if you don't there are couple of good options. You can go for an US company that has an office in Brazil, with US high school, your chances will be great. Then you can try to work your way up, if your goal is to live in USA one day.

The other option is US grad school. You can get teaching or research assistantship in which case the University will usually cover your tuition and give you monthly salary (you will have to work for them of course as well as take classes). At the end, your chances to get a good job will be much higher with a Masters.

markinf
October 11th, 2010, 01:29 PM
UPPP!

Thanks for the replys guys!

juancarlospaco
October 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
click here get a job (http://webapps.ubuntu.com/employment/)

markinf
October 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
click here get a job (http://webapps.ubuntu.com/employment/)

Unfortunately these jobs requires great experience, which I currently don't have. :'/

I'm just wondering if I'm fine for the entry level jobs =]

mkvnmtr
October 11th, 2010, 06:47 PM
To me you sound more valuable than someone trained only in the US.