PDA

View Full Version : Personal Finance Programs for Linux

Dragonbite
October 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Does anybody have any experience using a personal financial program in Linux? I'm looking for something to balance a checkbook and categorize expenses (and display results of course).

I've heard of GnuCash and Skrooge, but don't know if there are any others which may be better suited.

What programs do you use? Why?

I am hoping for something that
Is easy for data entry.
Possibly able to import Quicken or maybe CSV files I can download from accounts online. I am also not against downloading it myself (maybe CSV) and "massaging" the data to be able to import. This isn't required, just a nice feature if it makes things easier.
Provide useful reports of results and/or customizable reports. Pretty pictures and charts are great, but as long as the data is relevant it isn't a requirement.
I am not very interested in tracking my investments and all of that (be nice, but I won't go crazy at this point).

Thanks!
~D

Dragonbite
October 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Oh, one thing of note, which may effect one way or the other.

While I am looking for checkbook-balancing functionality, most bills are paid by credit cards not by checks. So while one check may be written, it will cross multiple categories and needs to be simple for data entry.

I was looking at a GnuCash screenshot when I thought of this.

Seewolf
October 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I have been using GnuCash for a few months. For what you need, I think it would be great. It gets clunky with all the investment information but for simple checkbook balancing and expense tracking, I think you would be happy. It does a nice job importing .QIF data (which is what my credit card company uses) and makes it pretty easy to categorize those expenses.

wgarider
October 9th, 2010, 01:06 PM
We've been using GNUcash for several months - transitioned to it from MS Money. Chose not to import our Money data file but I seem to remember that the option was there.

My wife is the primary user and she likes it because it's easy to use.....

whollycow
October 9th, 2010, 08:57 PM
This may be a little too simple for what you're after, but I recently discovered wxBanker:

https://launchpad.net/wxbanker (https://launchpad.net/wxbanker)

It's lightweight and does exactly what I need (though not much more, admittedly).

Plumtreed
October 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Homebank is pretty good and available, at least the last time I looked, in the repositories.

frrobert
October 10th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I have been using GNUCash for 4 years now and really have not had any issues. It is a bit slow with one file that contains over 12 years of data but other then that it has worked fine.
I was able to import my Quicken data and the transition was fairly painless.