PDA

View Full Version : Intel Linux Drivers; Getting there!

NightwishFan
October 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM
In Lucid a few of the games I own from my Windows days work fine on Nvidia cards. My new laptop has an Intel chip. I am quite pleased with the integration of Linux technologies and fast video rendering of the card. However for Wine it does not implement enough (shaders?) to run games. A few of these games would actually hang the GPU forcing a reboot. I updated to Maverick. Now, with a few tweaks in Driconf, I nearly have them there. There is much improvement of performance, and one game is merely lacking a few supported textures, running faster than ever.

I have hope for the future perhaps in the next few releases I can spend a few hours once in a while battling orcs or something. :lolflag:

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 06:59 PM
In Lucid a few of the games I own from my Windows days work fine on Nvidia cards. My new laptop has an Intel chip. I am quite pleased with the integration of Linux technologies and fast video rendering of the card. However for Wine it does not implement enough (shaders?) to run games. A few of these games would actually hang the GPU forcing a reboot. I updated to Maverick. Now, with a few tweaks in Driconf, I nearly have them there. There is much improvement of performance, and one game is merely lacking a few supported textures, running faster than ever.

I have hope for the future perhaps in the next few releases I can spend a few hours once in a while battling orcs or something. :lolflag:
Now it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my laptop to maverick.... good news though.

NightwishFan
October 8th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Main reason to update would be if you get the "hung gpu" thing.

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Main reason to update would be if you get the "hung gpu" thing.
oh- my games just refuse to start, or get framerates measured in FPH.

NightwishFan
October 8th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Might be hit or miss. :) I have found a lot of games in Wine work a bit better, but Urban Terror runs at least 10fps slower.