PDA

View Full Version : Steam on (Ubuntu) Linux meantioned in blueprint for next UDS

bash
October 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
So I was reading through the blueprints for the next Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS). In one blueprint, it was about adding multitouch support to games, I found this interesting mention of Steam on Linux. Here's the full text:

* Strategy games can become very attractive if they get multitouch support. The game 0 A.D. got source code released recently. We can study how much work is needed to include mt support in the game. (Mohamed-Ikbel Boulabiar)
* Commercial Games Support in Ubuntu Linux via Steam (Mohamed-Ikbel Boulabiar)
* Syncing up with commercial vendors of Linux-supported games (Ted Gould)

Tags: hci-n, hci, touch, multi-touch, multitouch, applications, games

(Source: https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/appdevs-dx-n-multitouch-and-games)

I know the whole topic about Steam on Linux is quite worn and I am not quite sure of what to make of the statement. Are they trying and working with Valve to get Steam to Linux, is this just hopeful thinking or is it maybe even just an iconic example to illustrate the potential partners with whom to work on getting multitouch to games?

Nonetheless I found it interesting and for once there is a mention of Steam on Linux not coming from the usual Phoronix "We know for certain it's coming at some point probably maybe" article.

Naiki Muliaina
October 8th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Eh... I am still hoping Steam doesn't come to Linux and instead either Ubuntu Software Center takes off and becomes a respected and useful way of selling stuff to Linux users or that some industrious young fellow makes something better than Steam.

Mohamed-Ikbel Boulabiar posts on the Phoronix blog doesn't he? So is that still the same sources?

Nickedynick
October 8th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Interesting find there! I hope it's based on actual dealings with Valve, but it's the first I've heard of it if it is.

@Naiki - What's wrong with Steam?! It'd be interesting if Canonical found a way to get Steam's library and functionality integrated into Software Centre though. Sort of like the 7 Digital / Ubuntu One Music Store deal.

Lucradia
October 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Steam has over-priced games:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8340/

That game there can be bought, physically, at any US Best Buy for 9.99 USD (REGULAR PRICE)

Naiki Muliaina
October 8th, 2010, 07:02 PM
The game validation and regional pricing (I am in euro zone so I would have to pay far more than USA folk). Also feel they let the Linux client rumour drag. Phoronix's fault for starting it, but they could have denied it sooner.

Tak11
October 8th, 2010, 09:20 PM
they are waiting to see how successful the mac port is before releasing a linux version. they are working on it though, i saw an accidentally leaked early early alpha client which is very promising.

I've invested a lot in steam, a released linux client would just be incredible.

alexan
October 8th, 2010, 09:25 PM
usb linux live distro highly optimized with nvidia proprietary driver capable of launching a video game from *ANY* pc equipped with Nvidia graphics.

1. plug this adapter in your usb with a 16GiB microsd (game+os)
http://gsmserver.com/newshop/images/large/MicroSD_1_Gb_S721_Card_Reader.jpg
2. reboot your pc, play the game.. or buy online

User don't need (thus is welcome) to know Linux: just Plug&Game. :lolflag:

Forget Steam.. they will keep begging at Microsoft's feet until Ballamer will kick them out with Windows Live services forced in the next Windows Update

Naiki Muliaina
October 8th, 2010, 09:27 PM
they are waiting to see how successful the mac port is before releasing a linux version.

Got a source on that one?

they are working on it though, i saw an accidentally leaked early early alpha client which is very promising.

I've invested a lot in steam, a released Linux client would just be incredible.

They were working on one. Past tense. They announced after all the Phoronix shiznog that they were not working on one.

crl0901
October 8th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Steam has over-priced games:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8340/

That game there can be bought, physically, at any US Best Buy for 9.99 USD (REGULAR PRICE)

I disagree. On the whole, you can find all kinds of really good game deals on Steam. And they're always throwing in free games with purchases. I really like Steam, I think it's an excellent example of what a digital content distribution platform can be.

limestone
October 8th, 2010, 09:30 PM
First it was said that steam should come to Linux aswell after the Mac Os release.
But later Valve announced that they putting Steam for Linux on the shelf for at least till next summer.

earthpigg
October 8th, 2010, 09:32 PM
i just installed and played 0 A.D., and it's pretty nifty. No AI yet but it looks to be playable on multiplayer.

limestone
October 8th, 2010, 09:36 PM
i just installed and played 0 A.D., and it's pretty nifty. No AI yet but it looks to be playable on multiplayer.

Have you tried Unknown Horizons? It's pretty awesome, still under development though.
http://www.unknown-horizons.org/

Naiki Muliaina
October 8th, 2010, 09:49 PM
But later Valve announced that they putting Steam for Linux on the shelf for at least till next summer.

Got a link to that announcement?

Lucradia
October 9th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I disagree. On the whole, you can find all kinds of really good game deals on Steam. And they're always throwing in free games with purchases. I really like Steam, I think it's an excellent example of what a digital content distribution platform can be.

I hate shooters, action, etc. so I don't really see a point in Steam, as it barely has any RPGs I desire (the exception being Fallout 3, but it plays more like a shooter, so I'll pass on steam.)

crl0901
October 12th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Got a link to that announcement?

Seconded.

I was under the impression that they complete scrapped the idea.

Paqman
October 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I don't get all the excitement about a possible port of Steam to Linux. How many Linux games are actually available on Steam? What use is a distribution system that has no content? What exactly would Valve sell after spending all that money on porting it?

Nickedynick
October 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Well they ported Source to Mac for the Steam launch there and unless I'm being totally stupid I have seen it said that creating a Linux port from that starting base wouldn't require as much effort as going straight from Windows.

Canis familiaris
October 12th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I don't get all the excitement about a possible port of Steam to Linux. How many Linux games are actually available on Steam? What use is a distribution system that has no content? What exactly would Valve sell after spending all that money on porting it?
Actually it's assumed that since Postal 3 is based on the Source Engine and has a Linux version, that would mean that if Valve ports Steam to Linux, then all Source based games by Valve such as Half Life 2, HL2:E1, HL:2E2, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike:Source, and Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 will be ported too, which will be a huge boost to Linux gaming.

tsaunders
October 12th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Actually it's assumed that since Postal 3 is based on the Source Engine and has a Linux version, that would mean that if Valve ports Steam to Linux, then all Source based games by Valve such as Half Life 2, HL2:E1, HL:2E2, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike:Source, and Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 will be ported too, which will be a huge boost to Linux gaming.

I believe that to be correct. I would love for Steam to come over to Linux. One reason I have to have a dual boot it so play computer games.

I am going to install Steam through Wine and see how well Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 play. If it's good enough then I think I will scrap Windows.

The only other game I would need is Champions Online.

Canis familiaris
October 12th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I believe that to be correct. I would love for Steam to come over to Linux. One reason I have to have a dual boot it so play computer games.

Same here

I am going to install Steam through Wine and see how well Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 play. If it's good enough then I think I will scrap Windows.

I have tried and tested all Orange Box games in WINE. They work pretty well. All games ran except Team Fortress 2 (your mileage may vary). Good luck.

tsaunders
October 12th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Same here

I have tried and tested all Orange Box games in WINE. They work pretty well. All games ran except Team Fortress 2 (your mileage may vary). Good luck.

Does it work well on 64bit?

Legendary_Bibo
October 12th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Same here

Yeah I would like Steam on Linux as well, I've played portal in Wine, and besides the graphical glitches it worked pretty well. Although my memory of it only recalls playing the first level. I don't know if it locked up, or if I just stopped playing. I mostly just want to play TF2 again. The 360 version is horrible compared to the PC version, but it was literally the only PC game that brought me away from my consoles. I also miss Killing Floor. My notebook has an intel graphics card and wouldn't be able to handle these games, and I can't touch my dad's computer (which has way too powerful of components for the little bit of crap he does on it). So all I can do is hold out for Steam on Linux, or buy a Windows installation disc. Which I would prefer not to do.

Paqman
October 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM

That's a pretty big assumption. Porting what is basically a torrent client mashed up with a web browser (ie: the Steam client) is a different animal from porting even one game engine and all the games based on it. The amount of testing alone involved in bringing all the games you mention to Linux would make it a huge undertaking. Hence why it hasn't happened.

Just because one Source game has a Linux version doesn't necessarily mean it'd be economical to port the others. I personally suspect the Linux gaming market is probably too small to make ports of big games worth it, especially when most Linux users already buy the games and run them on Windows or through Wine anyway.

Canis familiaris
October 13th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Does it work well on 64bit?
I had tried in Ubuntu 8.04 64bit. Worked perfectly for me. Sadly due to ATI dropping support for my card, I can't test the games with newer distributions. Steam works though. It should actually have got better by now.

That's a pretty big assumption. Porting what is basically a torrent client mashed up with a web browser (ie: the Steam client) is a different animal from porting even one game engine and all the games based on it.
Actually Steam is lot more than just a torrent client mashed with a Web Engine. I can see your point, though.

The amount of testing alone involved in bringing all the games you mention to Linux would make it a huge undertaking. Hence why it hasn't happened.
Just because one Source game has a Linux version doesn't necessarily mean it'd be economical to port the others.
True that. But the fact that Source Engine already has a Linux Client, it will make far more easier and comparatively economical to port the existing source games than say starting from scratch.

I personally suspect the Linux gaming market is probably too small to make ports of big games worth it, especially when most Linux users already buy the games and run them on Windows or through Wine anyway.
Linux gaming in terms of potential is underestimated in my opinion. However you are right.

betrunkenaffe
October 13th, 2010, 06:16 PM
When Steam is brought to Linux, I'm repartitioning my HD on my lappy to kill the dual boot and setting up a dual boot on my desktop.

Ric_NYC
October 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM
It's a matter of time.

They won't ignore Android.

Merk42
October 14th, 2010, 03:43 AM
It's a matter of time.

They won't ignore Android.
Who?
What?
Steam on a phone?
What do you even mean?