PDA

View Full Version : is it possible ? to install linux on a Nokia cell phone?

medya
October 8th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I was wondering,

my old nokia 3250 , has a cpu , memory and SD ram-disk

so technically we should be able to install software and operating system on it ...

I dont wanna use it as a Phone anymore, I wanna do experiment on it , I wanna see a linux with terminal , using my cell phone's cpu !

do you think it is possible ?

Colonel Kilkenny
October 8th, 2010, 04:28 PM
No.
And especially to a phone which is old & not even smartphone: no.

If you want to have real linux for phone: buy Nokia N900 or wait for MeeGo devices.

Spice Weasel
October 8th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Of course it can run NetBSD!

Just kidding, you might just about be able to get DOS on that.

ubunterooster
October 8th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Your nokia 3250 runs Symbian, which is Linux

Colonel Kilkenny
October 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Your nokia 3250 runs Symbian, which is Linux

Oops. My bad when I said that it isn't a smartphone. I managed to read it as 3520.
Anyway, Symbian is not Linux. Symbian is open source but it has nothing to do with Linux.

ubunterooster
October 8th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Oops, like React OS it is Open but Not linux. I keep thinking that Open=Linux

medya
October 10th, 2010, 09:40 PM
guys I think none of you could even get what I said !
we all agree that nokia 3250 has a CPU and a memory [right ?] ; therefore acording to the computer concepts , it should be able to execute any binary codes....

why cant we have a complied linux for its cpu ?

p.s : I do have a new cell phone, I am not looking for a cell phone who has a linux on it already... I am looking for doing expriment on my old phones , changing their O.S.
I just want to see the new OS boot on my old phone's screen .

jrothwell97
October 10th, 2010, 09:43 PM
So does a microwave. So does a vacuum cleaner. So does a car's dashboard.

Theoretically, yes, it can run Linux. In practice, however, you'd need extensive information about the hardware, spend ages getting it on to the phone (all of this without Nokia's permission, and so technically illegal in many territories) and then spend ages getting it to work, and have a phone at the end that wouldn't be able to make calls and would be rubbish to try and use any GNU/Linux UI on.

nlsthzn
October 10th, 2010, 09:48 PM
The Linux kernel (which makes Linux, well, Linux) runs on a lot of different CPU architectures... I don't think it covers the CPU in your Nokia... if it did you would be good to go :)

perce
October 10th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I have no idea if it is possible; a quick google search gave no result. Your cellphone most probably has an ARM processor, so you could take a look at the Debian ARM forum, if there is any.

limestone
October 10th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Nokia smartphones run Symbian. Is'nt that Linux? So with Blackbarry...?
Am I wrong?

pwnst*r
October 10th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Nokia smartphones run Symbian. Is'nt that Linux? So with Blackbarry...?
Am I wrong?

Read a few posts above yours.

medya
October 11th, 2010, 12:02 PM
So does a microwave. So does a vacuum cleaner. So does a car's dashboard.

Theoretically, yes, it can run Linux. In practice, however, you'd need extensive information about the hardware, spend ages getting it on to the phone (all of this without Nokia's permission, and so technically illegal in many territories) and then spend ages getting it to work, and have a phone at the end that wouldn't be able to make calls and would be rubbish to try and use any GNU/Linux UI on.

yeah infact I dont care to make calls, I just want to see if I can install a linux on its ARM cpu

t0p
October 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM
@OP:I'm pretty sure no one has ported Linux to your phone's processor. So, while it may be technically possible to have Linux on your phone, I think you would have to do the heavy-lifting of porting it.
@everyone else: I know it's already been said, but I'm going to say it again, in bold capital letters so hopefully everyone will take notice:

SYMBIAN IS NOT LINUX!!

It is now open source, but that doesn't mean it's Linux. For an OS to deserve the sobriquet "Linux" it must use the Linux kernel. Symbian does not use the Linux kernel, therefore Symbian is not Linux.