PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Nvidia driver installation issues

febro
October 8th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hello guys, I need some help from experienced linux users on how to properly install newest nvidia drivers on my Ubuntu 10.04

Being a total beginner to linux, I can't seem to find a decent guide on how to install these drivers without much hassle, even though I've been searching for almost couple of hours now.

First, my system specs, taken with HardInfo

Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor
Memory : 3091MB (1865MB used)
Operating System : Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS

-Display-
Resolution : 1360x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce GT 220/PCI/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

-SCSI Disks-
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50

---
Now, I've installed the "default" (dunno if that would be the correct categorizing :P) driver with the "Hardware drivers" utility from System->Preferences->Hardware drivers because I've failed numerous times trying to install the package from nVidia site (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux-display-amd64-256.53-driver-uk.html) ; I would always get an error while trying to run the package :
"It seems that X server is running on your linux, please deactivate it to install this package" or something like that, but I'm sure it was about X running.

I would really appreciate if someone experienced would advise me on how to remove old drivers (if that step is needed) and properly installing the ones provided in the link a bit above.
I remind you that I'm a total beginner for linux, so it would be awesome if You could explain it to me like I am a retard :D

Thank You in advance :)

febro
October 8th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Bump ? :P

andrewthomas
October 8th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Try this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1571606

febro
October 8th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the link, but new problem appeared.
When I'm in terminal mode, it wont accept my normal login that I use to login to ubuntu on startup, any suggestions (maybe to login as root) ?

andrewthomas
October 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the link, but new problem appeared.
When I'm in terminal mode, it wont accept my normal login that I use to login to ubuntu on startup, any suggestions (maybe to login as root) ?
Do not log in as root.
After you type your username <enter> and password <enter> what error do you get?

febro
October 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I get "Login incorrect" message, which is foolish because I'm in ubuntu right now and I've logged in with that same info :S

OK, I've got it, I have numbers in my password and I've tried to enter them with my numeric part of the keyboard, didn't know they don't type in over it.
I'm an idiot XD

I'm gonna try that tutorial you posted as a solution to me and I'll report back, thank You for assisting me.

andrewthomas
October 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM
are you sure that you are typing the correct username?

from Applications > Accessories > Terminal

enter

pwd

it should read

/home/username

Is this the same one you were typing in?

febro
October 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
are you sure that you are typing the correct username?

from Applications > Accessories > Terminal

enter

pwd

it should read

/home/username

Is this the same one you were typing in?

Ye, I've found out what I was doing wrong, I edited my previous post with an explanation ><

febro
October 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Sigh, new problem, I've managed to start installation from terminal and installer now says that it isn't compatible with Nouveau.
Any solutions, or that's all I can do ?

andrewthomas
October 8th, 2010, 03:06 PM
please post the complete error message

febro
October 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Ok I've managed to finally install the drivers following guide on this page
http://uk.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/256.53/README/installdriver.html
Thanks for Your time, I really appreciate it:>

andrewthomas
October 8th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Glad you got it sorted out. Could you mark the thread as [SOLVED]?

febro
October 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM
oops, sorry bout that :D
marked it now :D