PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on a mac - Why?

MiXor
October 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if people around had ubuntu on a mac, altough mac OS is pretty good. Whether for technical reasons or just to participate to the really great ubuntu community or for the advancement of open source software, whatever your reason for putting ubuntu on a mac, I want to hear about it!

:)

Aline

KiwiNZ
October 8th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I have Ubuntu on my iMac using VM Ware.

jespdj
October 8th, 2010, 10:06 AM
There's a whole forum here for Apple Users (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=328).

ssam
October 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM
i wrote this a while ago but its basically still true.
http://tygier.co.uk/linux/why.html

plus things like
* lots of opensource apps (OOo, gimp etc) work better on linux.
* macosx command line tools feel like weedy versions of the GNU ones (missing/different options)
* apple lock in
* some things are very hard to do in macosx, eg share a folder other than /Users/sam/public
* support for old machines
* customisability/scriptablity

pelle.k
October 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if people around had ubuntu on a mac, altough mac OS is pretty good. Whether for technical reasons or just to participate to the really great ubuntu community or for the advancement of open source software, whatever your reason for putting ubuntu on a mac, I want to hear about it!

:)

Aline
Well, i have a 27 inch imac (2650x1440 screen). It's probably the nicest piece of hardware i ever owned. It doesn't hurt that it is damn pretty to look at, being all glass and aluminium you know. And i trid my old wireless pc keyboard today, and it felt like something from the scrapyard compared to my mini bt apple wireless keyboard.

I still like linux though, and while it's not as polished as Mac OS X, it's fun to use, and a godsend when developing (unless it's cocoa, of course) because of apt. Right now i'm running kubuntu 10.10, and it's running like a dream IMHO.

You could say i'm one of those hybrid people - i'm pretty comfortable in both OSX and linux. As long as it's got a decent shell (cli), i'm happy.

conundrumx
October 8th, 2010, 08:35 PM
i wrote this a while ago but its basically still true.
http://tygier.co.uk/linux/why.html

plus things like
* lots of opensource apps (OOo, gimp etc) work better on linux.
* macosx command line tools feel like weedy versions of the GNU ones (missing/different options)
* apple lock in
* some things are very hard to do in macosx, eg share a folder other than /Users/sam/public
* support for old machines
* customisability/scriptablity

Actually, the GNU tools are shady copies of the BSD ones. ;)

Also, sharing in OSX is remarkably simple, and I'm not sure what you mean about scriptability. OSX (and BSD, for that matter) have bash, python, perl, ruby PHP and others the same as any Linux distro, OSX also has AppleScript...

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Well, i have a 27 inch imac (2650x1440 screen). It's probably the nicest piece of hardware i ever owned. It doesn't hurt that it is damn pretty to look at, being all glass and aluminium you know. And i trid my old wireless pc keyboard today, and it felt like something from the scrapyard compared to my mini bt apple wireless keyboard.

I still like linux though, and while it's not as polished as Mac OS X, it's fun to use, and a godsend when developing (unless it's cocoa, of course) because of apt. Right now i'm running kubuntu 10.10, and it's running like a dream IMHO.

You could say i'm one of those hybrid people - i'm pretty comfortable in both OSX and linux. As long as it's got a decent shell (cli), i'm happy.

How about Windows? :P

slooksterpsv
October 8th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have an old iBook G4 (last revision before they went Intel) and I would (or will) put Ubuntu on it for free open source software. Mac OS X software that works with 10.4.11 is limited and eve way out dated.

I use Ubuntu to surf the web, watch movies, listen to music, etc. Plus it takes up less space than Mac OS X and it's faster than Mac OS X. So why not?

psusi
October 8th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Because apple makes pretty nice laptops?

98cwitr
October 8th, 2010, 09:42 PM
When you get tired of the Mac OS, you can always fall back into the tempurpedic pillow that is Ubuntu ;)

unknownPoster
October 8th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Some Unix apps and/or libraries run better or more easily on Linux rather than OSX. In my experience, the following were easier to run on Linux than OSX:

valgrind
SDL
pygame
numpy/scipy

pelle.k
October 8th, 2010, 09:53 PM
How about Windows? :P
I mostly game on windows. :P But yes, i have it installed on my mac as well. I just have no need for it.

era86
October 8th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Because apple makes pretty laptops!

fixed it for you :)

slooksterpsv
October 8th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Because apple makes pretty expensive laptops?

Wait wait, I fixed it for you, the above person missed something hehe =P.

kaldor
October 8th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Wait wait, I fixed it for you, the above person missed something hehe =P.

And they're also pretty and very useful.

Decent Ubuntu laptops cost an arm and a leg as well.

MiXor
October 8th, 2010, 11:59 PM
And they're also pretty and very useful.

Decent Ubuntu laptops cost an arm and a leg as well.

Precisely.
Let's face it, I'm no computer geek, and I cannot spend my time fixing things and messing things up on a good machine. I recently got a mac despite being very fond of ubuntu because I wanted something fast and relatively light, that worked, and convenient for programming. And the idea of unsucessfully trying ubuntu on a new machine and ending up stranded with Win7 was too scary. :P
I will probably install a dual boot on my mac, just because I love the ethos of ubuntu. I am generally wondering how this may actually be useful...
:KS

RandomJoe
October 9th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I bought a Macbook Pro a year ago intending to have it boot Ubuntu. Got the thing home, and just fired it up to give it a try. I found I really liked Snow Leopard! I also wanted the machine itself to work as flawlessly as possible, so I left OS X as the host OS then installed VMWare.

Now I get the best of multiple worlds - I can have various Linux distros up at the same time, or even Windows. And the machine sleeps/wakes perfectly and quickly. And I've found OS X close enough to Linux for many of the things I do there that I'm quite at home with it. (Ran Linux-only at home for over 10 years!)

Still do all my programming and experimenting on Linux though. That VM is almost always running.

I also have two Mac Minis that run Debian as servers. One is an old PPC Mini, the other is a brand new Intel Mini that was immediately reloaded. Primary reason for using those is power consumption. The PPC Mini I already had and it idles around 18-20W. I wanted another low-power machine, but every C2D "low power" system I found info on said they ran in the 50-75W range. Intel Minis are 12-15W at idle! Even doing some processing mine peaks out at 25-30W. Very nice, especially since I run my network on a solar power system.