PDA

View Full Version : The mega TheNerdAL I need a new *.* please help thread

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 04:36 AM
So my current computer is old and I want a new computer. Problem is that I don't have a job yet and was wondering how I could make money without a job or something like that.

Thanks.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 8th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Lemonade stand?

xjesse
October 8th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Being in the great city of Houston this shouldn't be hard. :)

Well actually anywhere. Me being unemployed at the moment and still having to pay bills I get by with selling a lot of junk around the house. Old cell phones, computer parts, or my wifes printer (which later was yelled at for). I don't like Cannon. :) eBay and Craigslist help in this process.

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Being in the great city of Houston this shouldn't hard. :)

Well actually anywhere. Me being unemployed at the moment and still having to pay bills I get buy with selling a lot of junk around the house. Old cell phones, computer parts, or my wifes printer (which later was yelled at for). I don't like Cannon. :) eBay and Craigslist help in this process.

Gotcha! Now let me look for my mom's wedding ring, LOL. J/K! But that would be a good idea....just kidding again. :P

I'd sell things but I don't think I have nothing to sell. Just maybe old phones, and an iPod shuffle that I don't use much.

xjesse
October 8th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Gotcha! Now let me look for my mom's wedding ring, LOL. J/K! But that would be a good idea....just kidding again. :P

I'd sell things but I don't think I have nothing to sell. Just maybe old phones, and an iPod shuffle that I don't use much.

Oh and also! If you're of age and qualify there is also sperm and plasma donors.

Just a thought!

Khakilang
October 8th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Being in the great city of Houston this shouldn't hard. :)

Well actually anywhere. Me being unemployed at the moment and still having to pay bills I get buy with selling a lot of junk around the house. Old cell phones, computer parts, or my wifes printer (which later was yelled at for). I don't like Cannon. :) eBay and Craigslist help in this process.

Same here. 7 years now being unemployed. I do computer repair, support and service and also photography which I get to pay my bill and manage some saving while waiting for my penchant. Depend on what talent you have and use it to your advantage.
:guitar:

KiwiNZ
October 8th, 2010, 04:58 AM
If your parents budget is such they can afford to fund a new computer for you agree to a regime of tasks around the home to repay the cost.

nlsthzn
October 8th, 2010, 04:59 AM
If your old enough get a part time job... if your good with IT advertise and help people sort out there PC's... the more you think about this and the more you explore the more possibilities will open up for you :)

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Oh and also! If you're of age and qualify there is also sperm and plasma donors.

Just a thought!

How old do I have to be? ;)

Warpnow
October 8th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Gah, all you guys and you're suggestions of producing things for profit. This is America! That's obviously not how you make money. ;)

Sell your shuffle. Make $50.

Buy an old Dell Optiplex. Find someone with a monitor. Buy an old printer. Set these up. Sell this as a "set" to someone who wouldn't know how to set it up for $150.

Take this money and do it again three times.

Voila. Enough for a new computer.

DONT rely on ebay...profit margins are slim. Post on Church bulletin boards, community centers, ect. Places where a $150 PC with a printer set up for you is a great deal.

Don't even consider posting specs. If they know what a processor is, they aren't your target audience.

xjesse
October 8th, 2010, 05:12 AM
How old do I have to be? ;)

Absolutely 18+ for sperm donations. As far as plasma, you may have to do some looking around for paid donations in Houston. If any.

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Freelance web design and tech support's always worked well for me. Still going to try for a part time job soon enough...

Megaptera
October 8th, 2010, 07:25 AM
How about gardening / chores for neighbours and friends? How about delivering newspapers or leaflets in the neighbourhood if you're old enough?

julio_cortez
October 8th, 2010, 07:33 AM
As far as plasma, you may have to do some looking around for paid donations in Houston. If any.Do you really get paid for giving blood/plasma?
Oh funk, here in Italy we are volunteers. The only thing you get when you give blood/plasma is a meal. :lolflag:
Which I usually don't have anyway, as I'm doing it just for the sake of helping, not in order to be feeded :P

By the way, I pick up some extra money after work by helping people I know with their PCs.
I would do it just for fun (as I have a real work at the moment) but when they offer to pay something I can't really say "no".. It's their choice after all..

Legendary_Bibo
October 8th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Find a skill you're good at, prove to others you're good at it, and then a job will actually fall on your lap. That's how I got my math tutoring job.

TNT1
October 8th, 2010, 07:59 AM
If your old enough get a part time job... if your good with IT advertise and help people sort out there PC's...

Where would you advertise? I made up flyers, and stuck em in every mailbox in my neighbourhood, and pickin's was slim. Should I put an ad in the local paper?

Legendary_Bibo
October 8th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Where would you advertise? I made up flyers, and stuck em in every mailbox in my neighbourhood, and pickin's was slim. Should I put an ad in the local paper?

Make business cards! What you could do is go to the parking lot of your local grocer, set up a booth, and show people your skills and handiwork as IT, and hand out business cards.

TNT1
October 8th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Make business cards! What you could do is go to the parking lot of your local grocer, set up a booth, and show people your skills and handiwork as IT, and hand out business cards.

Ah, I have a cunning plan.

t0p
October 8th, 2010, 08:26 AM
What you could do is go to the parking lot of your local grocer, set up a booth, and show people your skills and handiwork as IT, and hand out business cards.

You must have a nice local grocer. Most store owners I know of guard their parking space jealously, wheel-clamping non-customers' cars and the like. I can't see them allowing someone to pitch up and sell stuff, unless they got a fat enough slice of the action.

Legendary_Bibo
October 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM
You must have a nice local grocer. Most store owners I know of guard their parking space jealously, wheel-clamping non-customers' cars and the like. I can't see them allowing someone to pitch up and sell stuff, unless they got a fat enough slice of the action.

Well I mean they let Girl Scouts and Jehovah's Witnesses do it, so I don't see why some guy handing out business cards would bother them. It happens at my grocer all the time and they don't seem to mind.

julio_cortez
October 8th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Or maybe prepare some A4 sheets with a little description of what you do (e.g. fixing computers or teaching kids math or something similar) and divide the bottom of said sheets in many little stripes with your name/job and phone number, that people can take off the sheet if interested.
Then ask the local grocers or bars/pubs if they can hang them on the wall for you. Here some people do this and it looks like phone numbers are currently taken from the sheet.

TNT1
October 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM

My local store has regular fair type thingies in their lot, I will get in on one of those, with a wee stall and some stuff.

TNT1
October 8th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Or maybe prepare some A4 sheets with a little description of what you do (e.g. fixing computers or teaching kids math or something similar) and divide the bottom of said sheets in many little stripes with your name/job and phone number, that people can take off the sheet if interested.
Then ask the local grocers or bars/pubs if they can hang them on the wall for you. Here some people do this and it looks like phone numbers are currently taken from the sheet.

Yeah, when my wife started her business, she started with a few of these, at the store and the kids' schools. forgot about that. Will definitely do that again.

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 06:00 PM
So my old computer is getting old and I don't know what to decide from getting a new Mac or getting new parts for my computer with Ubuntu installed.

The reason I want a Mac is because I want to try something new and, this might offend some of you, it is expensive so it has to be good.(I think)

The reason I want to stick with Ubuntu is because I love the applications and the freedom about it, but it doesn't have much compatibility with other things. :(

So what should I go for?

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM
upgrade your computer parts- its cheaper, and you have freedom of choice. I'm guessing since you've got an aging processor (1.8Ghz right?) you're only going to have a few choices for upgrades (e.g. has to use AGP graphics, low RAM density), and it might be better to just build a new one. Either way, a built computer with some impressive hardware; dual geforce 240s, AMD quad core 2.8GHz processor, etc. or your current computer with a geforce 7800 AGP and 3GB of RAM is still going to run you about 500$ cheaper than the cheapest imac with inferior hardware.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
First, it doesn't have to be good because it's expensive. Mac's are however usually pretty good hardware. The OS itself isn't anything special to me. It looks kind of nice, but I don't know that I'd buy a Mac just to use Mac OS. My wife has one and she uses the vm of Ubuntu that I put on there probably more than she uses Mac OS.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a Mac though. I quite like them, I just can't justify the price.

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 06:42 PM
upgrade your computer parts- its cheaper, and you have freedom of choice. I'm guessing since you've got an aging processor (1.8Ghz right?) you're only going to have a few choices for upgrades (e.g. has to use AGP graphics, low RAM density), and it might be better to just build a new one. Either way, a built computer with some impressive hardware; dual geforce 240s, AMD quad core 2.8GHz processor, etc. or your current computer with a geforce 7800 AGP and 3GB of RAM is still going to run you about 500$ cheaper than the cheapest imac with inferior hardware.

Got it. I'm going to stay with Linux. Since I am a huge fan of Open Source. Woo!! And since Sintel was a success, I think I'll make a short film too.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 8th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Do you really get paid for giving blood/plasma?
Oh funk, here in Italy we are volunteers. The only thing you get when you give blood/plasma is a meal. :lolflag:
Which I usually don't have anyway, as I'm doing it just for the sake of helping, not in order to be feeded :P

There are tons of donation centers here. There is just such a shortage that you can probably find someone to pay you to do it also.

If you're old enough just keep applying for jobs. It might take you a little while to save but work experience will make it easier to make more money in the future!

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Got it. I'm going to stay with Linux. Since I am a huge fan of Open Source. Woo!! And since Sintel was a success, I think I'll make a short film too.
Hm, if you'd like you could post the specs of your computer (what type of RAM, graphics cards- AGP or PCIe?) and I'll find you parts on newegg. I'm bored...

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hm, if you'd like you could post the specs of your computer (what type of RAM, graphics cards- AGP or PCIe?) and I'll find you parts on newegg. I'm bored...

I only need a new CPU and Motherboard of course and new RAM since my current RAM is DDR1. :P

KiwiNZ
October 8th, 2010, 07:05 PM
From reading your posts to date I have deduced that fiscal resources are an issue. Now I don't hide the fact that I like Apple products but if you are on a tight budget they are NOT what you should be considering.

Maybe upgrading some of your current kit is all you need to do until you are in the work force,

Add Ram , the cheapest and usually the most performance upgrade
Add a new Graphics Card , these can give a performance bottle neck but cost rise considerably
as the specs rise , but you can pick up very good ones on auction sites.

Again , as for Apple , for you ... no.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 8th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I only need a new CPU and Motherboard of course and new RAM since my current RAM is DDR1. :P

Generally when you upgrade a motherboard, you upgrade most if not all of the components--if you are upgrading from a really old one.

oldsoundguy
October 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM
If you are made of money or mommy and daddy are financing the move .. yea, go for the MAC .. then you can get on the 3 year replacement wagon in order to stay up to date.

IF, however, you are like the most of us, and really don't have much to spare, UPGRADE! (works for me!!)

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Generally when you upgrade a motherboard, you upgrade most if not all of the components--if you are upgrading from a really old one.

I upgraded the PSU and Graphics card and added more ram.

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM
well I'd still recommend at least an entry level dedicated GPU; maybe a geforce 210. Especially if you'd like to do 3D modeling with blender.

Motherboard:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130288
CPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103847&cm_re=phenom_II-_-19-103-847-_-Product (3.1GHz dual core phenom II)
RAM:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146748 (4GB, 2x2GB)
GPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121348 (geforce 210 low profile 512Mb)
Total Cost:230 or so (knocked a couple bucks off the RAM)

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 07:27 PM
well I'd still recommend at least an entry level dedicated GPU; maybe a geforce 210. Especially if you'd like to do 3D modeling with blender.

CPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103847&cm_re=phenom_II-_-19-103-847-_-Product (3.1GHz dual core phenom II)
RAM:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231207 (4GB; 2x2GB)
GPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121348 (geforce 210 low profile 512Mb)
Total Cost:247$

You might be able to find RAM a bit cheaper; not sure.

WOW! How did you know my computer was MicroATX? :P But WOW! How Cheap! WOWWWWWW!!

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 07:28 PM
WOW! How did you know my computer was MicroATX? :P But WOW! How Cheap! WOWWWWWW!!
long distance telepathy.

Yeah, newegg's always been great on price; but I was shocked myself to find a geforce 210, 512Mb onboard ram for 39$.

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM
long distance telepathy.

Yeah, newegg's always been great on price; but I was shocked myself to find a 210 for 30 something dollars.

I do have a Geforce 8400 GS, is that a good GPU?

oldsoundguy
October 8th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Do NOT forget to upgrade your power supply. An investment that will pay off BIG TIME as it will allow further expansion at a later date!

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Do NOT forget to upgrade your power supply. An investment that will pay off BIG TIME as it will allow further expansion at a later date!

I did when my old one died on me. I was also wondering if I should get a new case?

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I do have a Geforce 8400 GS, is that a good GPU?
You can skip the 210 then; they both have about the same performance level. 8400 might be a bit better in fact.

As for a new case, its not necessary but newegg has you covered:
Cheap case (16$):http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233061
What I bought (30$- Hey, a phenom 2 deserves a nice case):http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156237
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156237)

oldsoundguy
October 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Unless the case is trashed (damaged) or you are trying to impress someone, a NEW case is not needed .. heck .. just PAINT it if you want some wow factor. I have cases that go back to the very FIRST ATX footprints .. nothing but the paint and the mounting rail chassis are original .. everything replaced at one time or another!

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 07:41 PM
You can skip the 210 then; they both have about the same performance level. 8400 might be a bit better in fact.

As for a new case, its not necessary but newegg has you covered:
Cheap case (16$):http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233061
What I bought (30$):http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156237

Cheap cases. :O

Unless the case is trashed (damaged) or you are trying to impress someone, a NEW case is not needed .. heck .. just PAINT it if you want some wow factor. I have cases that go back to the very FIRST ATX footprints .. nothing but the paint and the mounting rail chassis are original .. everything replaced at one time or another!

Someone said I had to get a new case, but okay. :D I will keep the current case.:)

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Someone said I had to get a new case, but okay. :D I will keep the current case.:)
at least cut open space for a nice window, paint it black and install some blue LEDs ;)

pwnst*r
October 8th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Uh, I thought you already ordered your new Mac? You flip flop worse than a politician.

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Uh, I thought you already ordered your new Mac? You flip flop worse than a politician.

You thought. ;)

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM
The best macbook pro that u can find in apple store is with Geforce Gt330 , and it costs about 2300€ , and my laptop costs 900€ and it is better has a hd5650 -_-' ...

MACTRASH!
and so the mac bashing begins....
oh right, my arcane coding powers
</bash>

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 07:50 PM
and so the mac bashing begins....
oh right, my arcane coding powers
</bash>

Try not to get this thread closed. :P

Brent0
October 8th, 2010, 07:50 PM

RAM:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231207 (4GB; 2x2GB)
Total Cost:247$

You might be able to find RAM a bit cheaper; not sure.

The memory you chose is DDR2 but the motherboard is DDR3. Might want to update your post! :o

kaldor
October 8th, 2010, 07:54 PM
So my old computer is getting old and I don't know what to decide from getting a new Mac or getting new parts for my computer with Ubuntu installed.

The reason I want a Mac is because I want to try something new and, this might offend some of you, it is expensive so it has to be good.(I think)

The reason I want to stick with Ubuntu is because I love the applications and the freedom about it, but it doesn't have much compatibility with other things. :(

So what should I go for?

What does price have to do with quality?

Try out a Mac for a bit before you rush into it. It's still just another computer.

Brent0
October 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM
For the memory, something like this would be best:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146740

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I also want a new monitor since the one I have is somewhat dying. I want it to be like 20 inches or more. Impress me. :P

Elfy
October 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I'm almost tempted to start a "TheNerdal please help me with X" megathread :p

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 08:10 PM
The memory you chose is DDR2 but the motherboard is DDR3. Might want to update your post! :o
sorry, updated.
as for your monitor, here you go:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236094
119$, 20", 1600x900.

TheNerdAL
October 8th, 2010, 08:12 PM
sorry, updated.
as for your monitor, here you go:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236094
119$, 20", 1600x900.

Thanks. :)

Warpnow
October 9th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Plasma here if in Dallas pays $30, you can do it 8 times a month, and if you do it all 8 times you get like an extra $30.

TheNerdAL
October 9th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Plasma here if in Dallas pays $30, you can do it 8 times a month, and if you do it all 8 times you get like an extra $30.

What exactly is Plasma?

oldsoundguy
October 9th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Go to the bathroom mirror and slowly practice "do you want fries with that?"
LOTS of part time jobs in fast food .. and you get the benefits of eating free fast food that is not good for you!!

oldsoundguy
October 9th, 2010, 01:24 AM
What exactly is Plasma?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_plasma

If a person has had a blood disease such as Hepatitis, this is the ONLY type of blood donation they can make.

holiday
October 9th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I figure you're young, right?

Go back to school. Get a student loan if you have to, but go back to school and follow your interests. School is way better than working and if you follow your interests with passion and with respect for your subjects, you will make yourself a good life and you will never have to ask this question again.

You start with the student loan debt, but you'll be making more money than you will selling fries or juggling pool balls outside liquor stores.

Plus - plus! - you'll meet some great people - including lots of lovely and hungry-for-experience girls.

"Fries with that?" What are you people thinking?!

Dustin2128
October 9th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I figure you're young, right?

Go back to school. Get a student loan if you have to, but go back to school and follow your interests. School is way better than working and if you follow your interests with passion and with respect for your subjects, you will make yourself a good life and you will never have to ask this question again.

You start with the student loan debt, but you'll be making more money than you will selling fries or juggling pool balls outside liquor stores.

Plus - plus! - you'll meet some great people - including lots of lovely and hungry-for-experience girls.

"Fries with that?" What are you people thinking?!
he's in high school...

holiday
October 9th, 2010, 01:45 AM
he's in high school...

Oh dear! That young?

Well -ahem! But my advice still stands.

In high school, I was a supermarket bag boy and a lawn mower pusher and even, for a couple of terrible weeks, a smoke poker after a forest fire. Caught the crabs from the camp bed.

I picked potatoes. Imagine that.

You do that kind of stuff, you're hungry for school.

Warpnow
October 9th, 2010, 01:56 AM
With the increase in minimum wage, Fast Food is going to almost match what college grads are making now when they enter the workforce with a degree that isn't the most marketable.

I just graduated. You'd be surprised how many jobs I saw listed around $20k with a college degree required. Was ridiculous.

TheNerdAL
October 9th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Oh and I'm a sucker for a webcam. :P

Khakilang
October 9th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Normally I would try some light weight Distro on my old computer and insert some life into it. But if you have the budget for a new computer than you should go for it. The price of motherboard, RAM, GPU and PSU is getting cheaper. I guess some of the post had you going or maybe you have done it already.

oldsoundguy
October 9th, 2010, 03:13 AM
as noted .. still in high school.

"do you want fries with that" is about the only job available to a high school kid in a city.
State of Oregon regulated against self service gas stations to "supposedly" provide jobs to high school kids .. didn't work out .. most of the attendants are recent releases from drug rehab!

unless they want to do "semi paid" work in a place like an assisted living facility or rehab facility.

holiday
October 9th, 2010, 03:14 AM
With the increase in minimum wage, Fast Food is going to almost match what college grads are making now when they enter the workforce with a degree that isn't the most marketable.

I just graduated. You'd be surprised how many jobs I saw listed around $20k with a college degree required. Was ridiculous.

So what would rather do for minimum wage? You take that low wage job with your college degree and get into your job like you wouldn't get into serving fast food.

MisterGaribaldi
October 9th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Hey folks...

I know I'm relatively new around here, but d'ya mind if I venture a quick question here?

I've nothing against Apple's Mac OS X product, but their hardware is rather pricy for running as a Linux box, isn't it? Also, though I haven't looked into it lately, last I heard, there were some issues getting Apple's EFI to play nicely with a standard Linux install (or somesuch).

Or, am I missing something here?

Dustin2128
October 9th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Oh and I'm a sucker for a webcam. :P
just get a 12$ one that attatches to the monitor. Integrated ones have crappy quality and drive the cost up significantly.

Hey folks...

I know I'm relatively new around here, but d'ya mind if I venture a quick question here?

I've nothing against Apple's Mac OS X product, but their hardware is rather pricy for running as a Linux box, isn't it? Also, though I haven't looked into it lately, last I heard, there were some issues getting Apple's EFI to play nicely with a standard Linux install (or somesuch).

Or, am I missing something here?
it's pricey mostly because its the only hardware they allow OS X to be installed on; IMO there's no point in buying one if you're just going to stick linux on it. As I pointed out, you can build or upgrade your average PC with superior hardware for a price several orders of magnitude lower; and good luck sticking a GTX 480 in an iMac.

And welcome to the forums.

TheNerdAL
October 9th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Does anyone know any good desks that are good with two monitors? My current desk is all scratches up and stuff. :P

Thanks.

pwnst*r
October 9th, 2010, 11:45 PM
http://www.csnoffice.com/Desks-C250986.html?refid=G240.[desks]&gclid=COve4LbtxqQCFRhrgwodRV3rew

TheNerdAL
October 9th, 2010, 11:49 PM
So I want a music player and I heard about the Cowon J3 and it seems pretty good. I hear the sound quality is amazing.

Has anyone tried it. If so, how is it? Thanks. :)

hhh
October 10th, 2010, 12:17 AM
You want a new music player, a new desk, a new Mac, but have no money and too young to work.

Whatever.

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 12:28 AM
You want a new music player, a new desk, a new Mac, but have no money and too young to work.

Whatever.

I'm not those people who think negative.

I don't like fast food jobs.

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Sure you want it to be a mp3 and video player first and foremost, but it is not worth $239 if you compare it with other players out there. An 8GB iPod touch is also just $199, and unlike the J3, Apple's alternative can surf the web over WiFi and bring you face to face with over 100,000 apps.

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 12:31 AM

Nothing wrong with flipping burgers. I might end up doing that for a while.

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Sure you want it to be a mp3 and video player first and foremost, but it is not worth $239 if you compare it with other players out there. An 8GB iPod touch is also just $199, and unlike the J3, Apple's alternative can surf the web over WiFi and bring you face to face with over 100,000 apps.

It doesn't have good sound quality.

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 12:50 AM
WalMart Desks (http://www.walmart.com/browse/Furniture/Office-Furniture/Desks/_/N-57ioZaq90Zaqce/Ne-2p4i?browsein=true&ic=48_0&ref=125874.243024&tab_All&catNavId=97116&fromPageCatId=97116)

I particularly like this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Santorini-L-Shaped-Computer-Desk/12528411

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Oh, just build one.

TheVerySpecialAgent
October 10th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I have the S9 and I am very pleased with it. As the J3 seams to be a newer/better version of the S9 it would most likely be my choice if I were to buy a new media player today. I really like the EQ in the S9 and according to the specs it is the same for the J3. It makes a lot of difference for the sound in my opinion.

There are several more things but I bought the S9 to listen to music and I think it does a great job at that, the J3 should preform at lest equal.
Also it seams to officially supports filetransfer to linux which is awesome.

Oh! And gooogle "gorilla glass cowon" and check out some videos. Haven't tried it myself so I cant confirm that it works but it looks cool. =D

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 01:15 AM
First, it will likely look terrible.

Second, The cost of lumber, finish, laminate, etc, etc (especially if you ruin some) is likely to be more expensive than the desk I posted a link to

hhh
October 10th, 2010, 01:17 AM
That was a rather snide comment of mine. I'm not hear to squash your dreams and desires.

My apologies.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 10th, 2010, 01:27 AM

Gotta start somewhere mate. Everyone starts somewhere. My first job was a paper route when I was 11. Good times.

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I might go with the new Sansa Fuze. Is the sound quality good?

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 02:06 AM

Second, The cost of lumber, finish, laminate, etc, etc (especially if you ruin some) is likely to be more expensive than the desk I posted a link to
first depends on how good you are, second depends on if you have that stuff laying around the house :)

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 02:06 AM
WalMart Desks (http://www.walmart.com/browse/Furniture/Office-Furniture/Desks/_/N-57ioZaq90Zaqce/Ne-2p4i?browsein=true&ic=48_0&ref=125874.243024&tab_All&catNavId=97116&fromPageCatId=97116)

I particularly like this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Santorini-L-Shaped-Computer-Desk/12528411

I like the one you chose. :)

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 02:09 AM
That was a rather snide comment of mine. I'm not hear to squash your dreams and desires.

My apologies.

It's okay. I agree though. I have to get a job. Life is harder when I am a senior at high school. College stuff, then job applications.

Boy, am I glad I didn't work that much and enjoyed my life before. I guess it's time for me to become a man. :P

This is off topic, but one day I walked from school to a lot of stores and asked if they were hiring, I think. I got like 5 stores that gave me applications. Is that a good way to get a job? Or is online a better way?

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I might go with the new Sansa Fuze. Is the sound quality good?
it's an excellent player all around, I'd highly recommend it. Just buy a v1 so you can rockbox it :). Playing doom on my MP3 player was an awesome experience.

Going to the store in person is the best way to get jobs period.

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Thanks! :D

tgm4883
October 10th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I like the one you chose. :)

I actually use to own that exact desk (except I bought it at staples). It's cool for awhile but I really needed some drawers to put things in.

I have this desk now (except I only have the double wide bookshelf instead of the 4 wide). Works really well as they sell boxes/shelves/doors and stuff that will fit in the cube.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60116069

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 02:22 AM
it's an excellent player all around, I'd highly recommend it. Just buy a v1 so you can rockbox it :). Playing doom on my MP3 player was an awesome experience.

Going to the store in person is the best way to get jobs period.

Thanks. :D And what's Rockbox?

And I will continue asking for jobs in person, but I would love to work at Fry's when I turn 18. :)

Legendary_Bibo
October 10th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Weren't you asking just last week how to make money or asking about getting a job or something? Why do you keep looking for things to spend money on before you even have a source of income? Ah, I was like that too. :D

I think I am in need of a new desk that is minimal, but larger than my current desk, albeit what I have currently seems to work.

stmiller
October 10th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Have you considered a monitor mount? There are some cool ones that are just a clamp and arm that holds up your display(s).

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Weren't you asking just last week how to make money or asking about getting a job or something? Why do you keep looking for things to spend money on before you even have a source of income? Ah, I was like that too. :D

I think I am in need of a new desk that is minimal, but larger than my current desk, albeit what I have currently seems to work.

It's called a guy who is about to graduate and is becoming an adult now. :P

I wonder what Chris Pirillo's desk is.

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Rockbox is an open source firmware for mp3 players, written from scratch. It runs on a wide range of players:
http://www.rockbox.org/

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Rockbox is an open source firmware for mp3 players, written from scratch. It runs on a wide range of players:
http://www.rockbox.org/

What can it do? :D

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 02:37 AM
FAQ:
What exactly are you trying to achieve with this line of development? (A.K.A. what's your purpose for being here?)

Firstly, we wouldn't start something like this if we didn't simply enjoy it profusely. This is great fun! Secondly, we feel the original firmware is lacking some features and contains a number of annoying bugs that we don't want to live with.

How can I find out about all the neat features that Rockbox has?

This information is in our manual (http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml) (It sometimes gets a bit out of date, so please bear with us.) Also, check out the features-list (http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/Main/FeatureComparison) and the WhyRockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/Main/WhyRockbox) page.

Hopefully that answers your question. It, to me, is similar to asking "why use Ubuntu instead of windows"

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 02:38 AM
FAQ:
What exactly are you trying to achieve with this line of development? (A.K.A. what's your purpose for being here?)

Firstly, we wouldn't start something like this if we didn't simply enjoy it profusely. This is great fun! Secondly, we feel the original firmware is lacking some features and contains a number of annoying bugs that we don't want to live with.

Good point. :P

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 02:42 AM
What can it do? :D
what can't it? Picture linux, but on a PMP.
also, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjRlKcH0fL8

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 02:45 AM
What if I mess up something and can't get it to turn on? :P

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 02:48 AM
How do I uninstall Rockbox? (http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/GeneralFAQ#How_do_I_uninstall_Rockbox)

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 02:48 AM
That's why you get a V1. As I understand it, 0 chance of bricking it. And out of the V2's I've rockboxed (unstable port), not a single bricking yet.

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 03:36 AM
But then again I'm thinking of getting a Sony Walkman: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-NWZS545RED-Video-Player/dp/B002IPHA3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=mp3&ie=UTF8&qid=1286677858&sr=1-1

Ahh!! Too many good music players. And here I thought iPods and Zunes were good.

KiwiNZ
October 10th, 2010, 03:45 AM
I have merged several recent threads into one thread

kaldor
October 10th, 2010, 03:46 AM
i have merged several recent threads into one thread

<3

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 04:00 AM
hahahaha! nice.

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 04:00 AM
I have merged several recent threads into one thread

Haha, I love it. :P I feel famous now. :P

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Haha, I love it. :P I feel famous now. :P
heh, before long it'll be a sticky. :lolflag:

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 04:15 AM
But then again I'm thinking of getting a Sony Walkman: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-NWZS545RED-Video-Player/dp/B002IPHA3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=mp3&ie=UTF8&qid=1286677858&sr=1-1

Ahh!! Too many good music players. And here I thought iPods and Zunes were good.
The Sony is good

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 04:16 AM
heh, before long it'll be a sticky. :lolflag:

That'd be a dream come true. :P

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 04:17 AM
The Sony is good

How good? Better than Sansa?

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 04:20 AM
audio-wise, yes.

But I don't think it has an expansion slot. A big downside in my book.

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 04:47 AM
But which one is a good one?

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 04:51 AM
But which one is a good one?
just get the fuze. 32GB of expansion room, plus rockbox speak for themselves </threadportion>

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 04:55 AM
The Sony has better audio than the Fuze. I am not sure about the Fuze+

I like the looks and feel of the Sony also. But between the two I'd likely go for a sansa because of future expandability

KiwiNZ
October 10th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Damm I dropped the glue stick again and look what happened to this thread

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 04:59 AM

LOL, I want to put this as my sig. :P Thanks KiwiNz, you made my dream come true. :D

ubunterooster
October 10th, 2010, 05:04 AM
:lolflag:

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 05:47 AM
well, we all know it deserves to be a sticky :D

darrenn
October 10th, 2010, 05:50 AM
So my current computer is old and I want a new computer. Problem is that I don't have a job yet and was wondering how I could make money without a job or something like that.

Thanks.

I assure you it's not what you own it's what you know. I could buy a nice expensive computer but im perfectly happy with my old computers. Anyway, why don't you check out the Old/crappy pc/laptop users thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=478237&highlight=crappy+laptop&page=14

At least you can talk to someone who knows what your going through.

PatrickMoore
October 10th, 2010, 06:03 AM
you could always sell random stuff on etsy, seriously people buy really dumb things

Elfy
October 10th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I'm almost tempted to start a "TheNerdal please help me with X" megathread :p

That'd be a dream come true. :P

What I meant to say was "I'm almost tempted to start a TheNerdAL please help me megathread" then move it to Recurring Discussions :p

cascade9
October 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Someone said I had to get a new case, but okay. :grin: I will keep the current case.:smile:

I'm pretty sure you mean me.....and what I actually said was 'if you've got a full, running computer, you might as well buy a new case and sell the old one' or words to that effect.....

What, building your own desk wil look horrible? *searches for camera* I build my own, well, actually modified an old 'printer box'. It looks pretty good IMO, its a lot more solid than some 'made in china' walmart junk, and cost me well under $90 (about $10 for the printerbox, a few dollars on glue, $15-25 on vinyl).

pwnst*r
October 10th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Lol @ stickied mega thread

CarpKing
October 10th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I don't really have any new advice, but I guess I can concur with the "sell old stuff" suggestions. As a bonus, you'll have less old stuff. Also, if you have any gold laying around, there are plenty of people willing to scam it into cash for you these days. Also, posting in a sticky.

dantakeoff
October 10th, 2010, 04:07 PM
sell crack...

hhh
October 10th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Bravo KiwiNZ!

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Will this Walkman be compatible with Linux? http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665940169#specifications

nlsthzn
October 10th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I can haz a sticky?

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I'm stuck between the Sony Walkman S or the Samsung P3, which should I get? :(

kaldor
October 10th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I'm stuck between the Sony Walkman S or the Samsung P3, which should I get? :(

Why not a ZEN from Creative?

I like those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZEN_(portable_media_player)

http://us.creative.com/products/welcomenew.asp?category=213&WT.cg_n=Campaigns&WT.mc_id=8860

It's Linux compatible.

KiwiNZ
October 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I will have to find my solvent to get rid of the glue on this one soon.
Just as well I have locked away my glue stick so it cannot happen again.

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Why not a ZEN from Creative?

I like those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZEN_(portable_media_player)

http://us.creative.com/products/welcomenew.asp?category=213&WT.cg_n=Campaigns&WT.mc_id=8860

It's Linux compatible.

I think I might stick with the Sony Walkman S, I just want to know if it's Linux Compatible.

KiwiNZ
October 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I think I might stick with the Sony Walkman S, I just want to know if it's Linux Compatible.

General
• Memory (Available capacity may vary) 16GB
• Display 2.4-inch, TFT color display with white LED-backlight, QVGA(240 x 320 Pixels), 262,144 colors
• Audio Technologies Clear Audio Technologies: Clear Bass & Clear Stereo, Dynamic Normaliser
• Input / Output Terminals Headphone / Hi-speed USB (2.0) / WM-PORT (22pin)
• Maximum Power Output 500mW + 500mW
• Power Source Built-in Rechargeable lithium-ion Battery / USB power (from a computer via the supplied USB cable)
• Recharging Method Via USB Port
• Recharge Time Approx. 2.5 Hrs (full charge), Approx. 1 Hr (approx. 80%)

Function
• FM Tuner Yes
• Voice / FM Recording Functions Yes / Yes
• Drag-and-Drop Music Transfer Yes
• Noise Cancelling Functionality No
• Bluetooth No
• WiFi Connectivity No

Music / Audio
• Supported Format MP3, WMA (DRM), AAC & L-PCM
• Sound Settings 5 Band Equalizer (Heavy/Pop/Jazz/Unique/Custom 1/Custom 2), Clear Bass, Clear Stereo, Dynamic Normaliser
• Searching Methods All Songs/ Album/ Artist/ Genre/ Release Year/ Folder/Playlists
• Play Mode Normal / Repeat / Shuffle / Shuffle&Repeat / Repeat 1 Song
• Continuous Playback Time Approx. 42 hrs (128kbps, Headphone output), Approx. 17 hrs (128kbps, Speaker output)

Video
• Supported Format AVC (H.264/AVC), MPEG4, WMV (DRM)
• Frame rate Up to 30 fps
• Resolution Up to QVGA (240 x 320)
• Play Mode -
• Continuous Playback Time Approx. 6.5 hrs (384kbps, Headphone output), Approx. 5 hrs (384kbps, Speaker output)

• Supported Format JPEG (Baseline) / 4000 x 4000 pixels
• Play Mode Normal / Slide Show /Slide Show Repeat
• Slide Show Interval Short / Normal / Long

File Formats Supported
• MP3 Audio Bit rate: 32 to 320kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR)), Sampling frequencies: 32, 44.1, 48kHz
• WMA Audio Bit rate: 32 to 192kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR)), Sampling frequencies: 44.1kHz
• AAC Audio Bit rate: 16 to 320kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR)), Sampling frequencies: 8,11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48kHz
• Linear-PCM Audio Bit rate: 1,411kbps, Sampling frequency: 44.1kHz
• AVC(H.264/AVC) Video Profile : Baseline Profile / Level : 1.3 / Bit rate : Up to 768 kbps
• MPEG-4 Video Profile : Simple Profile / Bit rate : Up to 1,024 kbps
• Windows Media Video 9 Profile : Main Profile, Simple Profile / Bit rate : Up to 768kbps
• AAC-LC Video Number of Channels : Up to 2 ch / Sampling Rate : 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz / Bit rate : Up to 288 kbps / channel
• WMA (for Windows Media Video 9) Sampling Frequency : 44.1 kHz / Bit rate : 32 to 192 kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR))
• JPEG Photo Profile Baseline Profile / Number of pixels : Max. 4000 x 4000 pixels

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 09:17 PM
General
• Display 2.4-inch, TFT color display with white LED-backlight, QVGA(240 x 320 Pixels), 262,144 colors
• Audio Technologies Clear Audio Technologies: Clear Bass & Clear Stereo, Dynamic Normaliser
• Power Source Built-in Rechargeable lithium-ion Battery / USB power (from a computer via the supplied USB cable)

Function
• FM Tuner Yes
• Bluetooth No
• WiFi Connectivity No

Music / Audio
• Sound Settings 5 Band Equalizer (Heavy/Pop/Jazz/Unique/Custom 1/Custom 2), Clear Bass, Clear Stereo, Dynamic Normaliser
• Searching Methods All Songs/ Album/ Artist/ Genre/ Release Year/ Folder/Playlists
• Continuous Playback Time Approx. 42 hrs (128kbps, Headphone output), Approx. 17 hrs (128kbps, Speaker output)

Video
• Play Mode -
• Continuous Playback Time Approx. 6.5 hrs (384kbps, Headphone output), Approx. 5 hrs (384kbps, Speaker output)

File Formats Supported
• MP3 Audio Bit rate: 32 to 320kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR)), Sampling frequencies: 32, 44.1, 48kHz
• WMA Audio Bit rate: 32 to 192kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR)), Sampling frequencies: 44.1kHz
• AAC Audio Bit rate: 16 to 320kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR)), Sampling frequencies: 8,11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48kHz
• AVC(H.264/AVC) Video Profile : Baseline Profile / Level : 1.3 / Bit rate : Up to 768 kbps
• Windows Media Video 9 Profile : Main Profile, Simple Profile / Bit rate : Up to 768kbps
• AAC-LC Video Number of Channels : Up to 2 ch / Sampling Rate : 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz / Bit rate : Up to 288 kbps / channel
• WMA (for Windows Media Video 9) Sampling Frequency : 44.1 kHz / Bit rate : 32 to 192 kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR))
• JPEG Photo Profile Baseline Profile / Number of pixels : Max. 4000 x 4000 pixels

Annnnddddd, that is a yes?

ParadoxTwelve
October 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM
General

Function
• FM Tuner Yes
• Bluetooth No
• WiFi Connectivity No

Music / Audio

Video
• Play Mode -

File Formats Supported

Uh, No ogg support. Thats not a media player.:confused:

ParadoxTwelve
October 10th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Oh and by the way I think we all forgot about selling siblings, nieces and nephews on the black market to make money!!!

ParadoxTwelve
October 10th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Try this player it supports the linux native ogg vorbis and flac = Samsung YP-M1

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Uh, No ogg support. Thats not a media player.:confused:

But does it work in Linux?

KiwiNZ
October 10th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I have found my Solvent , Slip , slop, slap and unstuck she is.

Normal transmission has been restored.

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 10:45 PM

Nooooooo....oh well, at least I took a screenshot of it while it lasted. :P I love the forums. :D

Legendary_Bibo
October 10th, 2010, 11:05 PM

Yay Kiwinz!

TheNerdAL was making waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaay too much of these threads. Seriously dude, quit looking for stuff to buy when you're broke.

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Yay Kiwinz!

TheNerdAL was making waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaay too much of these threads. Seriously dude, quit looking for stuff to buy when you're broke.

It's called internet window shopping. :lolflag:

Legendary_Bibo
October 10th, 2010, 11:11 PM
It's called internet window shopping. :lolflag:
Yeah but do you really have to involve all of us? :P

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Yeah but do you really have to involve all of us? :P

Yeah. :P Or else I'd buy an Zune HD and realize it isn't compatible with Linux at all. :lolflag:

Legendary_Bibo
October 10th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Yeah. :P Or else I'd buy an Zune HD and realize it isn't compatible with Linux at all. :lolflag:
The new iPod Touch's look nice, and apparently from what I've gathered Canonical have developed their own applications to manage music on the new iPod Touch's, iPads, and iPhones, or something.

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 11:33 PM
The new iPod Touch's look nice, and apparently from what I've gathered Canonical have developed their own applications to manage music on the new iPod Touch's, iPads, and iPhones, or something.

but the next mandatory ipod update would break compatibility.

Legendary_Bibo
October 10th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I thought it only asks you to update when you sync it to iTunes? Well it does have WiFi so it probably wouldn't need iTunes. *sigh* I would probably have some sort of BS "security update" label attached to it. Why can't everyone just get along.

Dustin2128
October 10th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I thought it only asks you to update when you sync it to iTunes? Well it does have WiFi so it probably wouldn't need iTunes. *sigh* I would probably have some sort of BS "security update" label attached to it. Why can't everyone just get along.
It probably would just update without telling you. It's really jobs' ipod you know, he's just loaning it to you.

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 11:56 PM
It probably would just update without telling you. It's really jobs' ipod you know, he's just loaning it to you.

Who knows what they are doing with the integrated cameras on the new iPod Touches... :lolflag:

nlsthzn
October 11th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I am stuck with an iPod Touch which I can't do anything with since ditching Windows QQ

Dustin2128
October 11th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Who knows what they are doing with the integrated cameras on the new iPod Touches... :lolflag:

*shudder*

unknownPoster
October 11th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I am stuck with an iPod Touch which I can't do anything with since ditching Windows QQ

probably wasn't a good idea to completely stop using windows then. :P

nlsthzn
October 11th, 2010, 12:25 AM

Nah, just another good excuse to get rid of some over priced and over hyped hardware from an over the top company ;)

Dustin2128
October 11th, 2010, 12:27 AM

Burn the heretic!

KiwiNZ
October 11th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Burn the heretic!

There will be no burning here , it is murder on my Sinuses and upsets the cleaners.

unknownPoster
October 11th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Nah, just another good excuse to get rid of some over priced and over hyped hardware from an over the top company ;)

Seems like an illogical justification for wasting money/a perfectly usable product.

Whatever, to each his own.

nlsthzn
October 11th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Seems like an illogical justification for wasting money/a perfectly usable product.

Whatever, to each his own.

I made a conscious decision not to use Windows anymore (several reasons), unfortunately this decision has left me with a piece of hardware with limited useability for me now, so I suspect the most logical thing I can do is to get rid of it (rather than have it gather dust in a drawer)... It is a pity I cannot get full use of my purchase because I don't want to conform...

pwnst*r
October 11th, 2010, 12:47 AM

Boring.

unknownPoster
October 11th, 2010, 12:51 AM
It is a pity I cannot get full use of my purchase because I don't want to conform...

That's like buying a car then not using it because you don't want to conform to the highway/interstate system.

That makes no sense to me.

nlsthzn
October 11th, 2010, 01:02 AM
That's like buying a car then not using it because you don't want to conform to the highway/interstate system.

Your analogy is not correct. And seeing as it is 4'o'clock in the morning here I cannot think of a better one to try and help you make sense of it... So I will try and explain in plain English. Why should I be forced to use Windows or Apple Macintosh as an OS just to use my hardware? And every time a way is found for me to use it with a GNU/Linux distro they find another way of denying me this right?

So I say "Stuff them!" I do not need to do business with such a company... so I will gladly try to recover some of the money I spent on it and next time I will make a more prudent purchase...

Dustin2128
October 11th, 2010, 01:07 AM

No, its like buying a car and only being allowed to drive on car company approved roads.

Legendary_Bibo
October 11th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Eh, I'm stuck with Windows 7 on my notebook, and it's actually not bad. Well it sucked when I first got it, but that was due to McAfee which even though I told it No! Bad Dog! every bootup it still ran in the background slowing crap down. Oh and the uninstaller kept crashing, so with a crack of my knuckles and the use of the DOS prompt I uninstalled. My bootup sped up by 20 seconds! It's nice having MS Office again so that when I get lab reports from my lab partners it doesn't look like crap. I still use OO for writing up formulas and stuff for my Calc 3 class just because a five minute tutorial and having fast typing skill can really cut down a lot of time.

Dustin2128
October 11th, 2010, 02:27 AM
It's nice having MS Office again so that when I get lab reports from my lab partners it doesn't look like crap.
Office 07 and up can export ODTs. Tell your friends.

Legendary_Bibo
October 11th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Office 07 and up can export ODTs. Tell your friends.

The education is wasted. The fact that they know how to start Office and the internet is a godsend.

TheNerdAL
October 11th, 2010, 03:05 AM
There will be no burning here , it is murder on my Sinuses and upsets the cleaners.

So you got me sick then....I see... :lolflag:

TheNerdAL
October 11th, 2010, 04:22 AM
So the Sony has some bad reviews and good reviews. I really don't know what to get. :(

NightwishFan
October 11th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Research Linux support with every individual piece of hardware.

TheNerdAL
October 11th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I'm either choosing between getting the Sony Walkman S series MP3 player and risking if the one I buy will have problems or getting a Cowon J3.

Dustin2128
October 11th, 2010, 04:38 AM
I'm either choosing between getting the Sony Walkman S series MP3 player and risking if the one I buy will have problems or getting a Cowon J3.

fuze.

NightwishFan
October 11th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Oh I see haha. :)

Legendary_Bibo
October 11th, 2010, 06:06 AM

Sony Walkmans look for the music in a certain folder. It's pretty much plug and play, and just looks like a flash drive to your PC. It should work. Also the walkmans are known to have the longest battery, and if you're an audiophile it has some great music software built in like an equalizer, base tuning, etc. I used to have one, and it was great.

cascade9
October 11th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Since I am a huge fan of Open Source. Woo!!

Irony. If your such a fan of open soruce, get a media player by companies that DONT stand in the way of free codecs. Apple, Microsoft, Sony, any of them could have added ogg and flac support at any time, to both the hardware media plyers and the software media players (itunes, windows media player). But they dont, mainly because in the case of MS and apple, they want to push thier own proprietary codecs.

Sansa, Cowon, iRiver, Samsung, any of them are better choices for a media player.

ubunterooster
October 11th, 2010, 02:05 PM
sell crack...Not funny

julio_cortez
October 11th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Also the walkmans are known to have the longest battery, and if you're an audiophile it has some great music software built in like an equalizer, base tuning, etc. I used to have one, and it was great.
I still have one (this (http://workdrone.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/NW-E005_2.jpg), which is pretty old) but it's one of the best pieces of technology I've ever bought.
The ONLY downside is that I still have to run SonicStage in Windows to get it properly working, but there's no problem ;)

ubunterooster
October 11th, 2010, 02:35 PM
..the walkmans are known to have the longest battery...
Better than the Cowon D2+?

Legendary_Bibo
October 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Better than the Cowon D2+?

Ah, I've been out of the loop, I guess they've been dethroned from that position (which in my defense that was their biggest selling feature when I got mine 3 years ago). Nevermind then, the Cowon will be a better choice, it's cheaper too.

ubunterooster
October 11th, 2010, 03:20 PM
It has nice quality also but I find I end up mentioning it everytime Portable Media Players are mentioned so I tried not to mention it. I succeeded for a while. :|

TheNerdAL
October 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Irony. If your such a fan of open soruce, get a media player by companies that DONT stand in the way of free codecs. Apple, Microsoft, Sony, any of them could have added ogg and flac support at any time, to both the hardware media plyers and the software media players (itunes, windows media player). But they dont, mainly because in the case of MS and apple, they want to push thier own proprietary codecs.

Sansa, Cowon, iRiver, Samsung, any of them are better choices for a media player.

Does the iRiver have good sound like the Sony?

CarpKing
October 11th, 2010, 05:57 PM

I got an ipod about four years ago and I have never had to update the firmware/whatever, even when I still used it with itunes sometimes.