PDA

View Full Version : VGA extension cables with a nut instead of a screw on the female connector?

jms1989
October 8th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Hello, I'm been looking at vga cables and happen to notice that vga extension cables use a screw instead of a nut on the female connector. What's up with that?

http://images2.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/28972.jpg EDIT: wrong image, replaced with female image.

instead of

http://site.ambery.com/webgraph/VGA-GenderFF.gif ??

Comments?

Khakilang
October 8th, 2010, 05:41 AM
It could be some male chauvinist put nuts on male and screw on female. Its the standard I guess.

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 06:16 AM
It could be some male chauvinist put nuts on male and screw on female. Its the standard I guess.
that sentence just sounds so wrong...

Khakilang
October 8th, 2010, 06:32 AM
My apologize. My friend use to joke about the male and female connector and its just come out of my mine. Should have cut down on those coffee.

mcduck
October 8th, 2010, 07:12 AM
If the screws weren't on the cable end but on your computer's connector, you'd have quite hard time tightening them. ;)

I don't see how the connector could be made any other way (if you think about actual computers and displays, not just extension cables).

edit: besides, from the pics you posted I'd call the first one male connector. It's the one with pins. And screws. I've never seen a female D-SUB with screws on it.

jms1989
October 8th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Perhaps this will clear up my question, here is a pic of a 3ft M/F VGA extension cable with screws on both connectors.

http://images2.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/28971.jpg

Notice the connector on the left is female and the one on the right is male. Both with screws, now shouldn't the female end have nuts instead?

mcduck
October 8th, 2010, 08:26 PM
oh yeah, that is a strange one. I suppose there might be use for such cable in some situation, but definitely not very often. :)

jms1989
October 9th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Indeed it is but I can't think of a single reason why an extension cable would have screws on the female, it would look much cleaner to have an extension cable with nuts to secure it to the other cable, rather than having to get regular M/M cables and F/F couplers with nuts. Wouldn't you think so?

I looked for a different type of cable, a DVI-D Extension cable, it has nuts on the female end. :confused:

http://images2.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/35461.jpg

Khakilang
October 9th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Upon checking my VGA cable. I had 2 male on each end with screw on. 1 for the monitor and the other for the graphics card. I guess yours maybe use for different equipment maybe like LCD projector. Maybe you can tell us what equipment you want to use it for. But at the end if you can't use the cable, you might as well return it to your supplier and get the proper one for your equipment.

cgroza
October 9th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Why do they call them male and female?

jms1989
October 9th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Upon checking my VGA cable. I had 2 male on each end with screw on. 1 for the monitor and the other for the graphics card. I guess yours maybe use for different equipment maybe like LCD projector. Maybe you can tell us what equipment you want to use it for. But at the end if you can't use the cable, you might as well return it to your supplier and get the proper one for your equipment.

I didn't purchase it but based on pictures, I don't understand why a cable meant for extending another cable to have a screw on the female connector. Can someone possibly explain that?

Why do they call them male and female?
Think of it in human usage. A man and a woman go together, where as man and another man or woman and another woman wouldn't. Their productive parts simply "plug in" where as same sex doesn't.

Think of a male connector as the male part and the female connector as the female part.

Catch my drift?

MisterGaribaldi
October 9th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I'll tackle this one...

(Oh, and this being my first post here, hello everyone!)

At a guess, it's because terms such as "male" and "female" are so much a part of every other industry which couples one thing to another (engineering, tool and die, etc.) that the tech industry is just following along. Besides, genderification (sp?) is as good a way to think about this stuff as any other.

grahammechanical
October 9th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I would not attempt to answer cgroza's question without first reading the code of conduct.

CharlesA
October 9th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I would not attempt to answer cgroza's question without first reading the code of conduct.

Agreed.

Elfy
October 9th, 2010, 07:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_of_connectors_and_fasteners

Perfectly normal.

jms1989
October 9th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Was my comment for cgroza's question inappropriate? If so, I shall remove it at a mods request, however I tried to explain it in the simplest form without going overboard and without linking to someplace.

Back to the topic, I'm lookin for comments on these cables and why a vga extension cable would have screws on the female side when its made to extend another? No one can seem to answer that...

CharlesA
October 9th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it.

Khakilang
October 10th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Was my comment for cgroza's question inappropriate? If so, I shall remove it at a mods request, however I tried to explain it in the simplest form without going overboard and without linking to someplace.

Back to the topic, I'm lookin for comments on these cables and why a vga extension cable would have screws on the female side when its made to extend another? No one can seem to answer that...

I would say on what equipment the cable is use for. Is it LCD projector, LCD monitor or is it an extension to another VGA cable? I am sure the cable is design for certain purpose. But for what? Unless the equipment has a male connector with nuts on than the cable maybe use for. By the way, from where did you get the cable? Maybe if you can get the cable brand or the manufacturer than the search for the answer would be easier.
:confused:

jms1989
October 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I would say on what equipment the cable is use for. Is it LCD projector, LCD monitor or is it an extension to another VGA cable? I am sure the cable is design for certain purpose. But for what? Unless the equipment has a male connector with nuts on than the cable maybe use for. By the way, from where did you get the cable? Maybe if you can get the cable brand or the manufacturer than the search for the answer would be easier.
:confused:

The cable in question is from monoprice. I talked to one of the tech support ppl about it and he didn't understand it either. The cable is filed under VGA extension cables to, naturally, one would use those to extend a cable, no? I made a suggestion that the manufacture must be sending them the wrong cable for its category and that they should have extension cables with nuts on the female connector. He said he'll forward it along to the purchase dept. :P

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10201&cs_id=1020104&p_id=86&seq=1&format=2

cascade9
October 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I didn't purchase it but based on pictures, I don't understand why a cable meant for extending another cable to have a screw on the female connector. Can someone possibly explain that?

It could be that its not technically a VGA extension cable, it could be a simple VGA (female) to VGA (male) cable. I'm pretty sure that there was at least 1 monitor that had a male VGA input (normally, its female). That would explain the end connectors.

I know what you mean, it shoud look like this-

http://www.frasersales.com/images/ebay/vga_extension_cable_high_quality.jpg

but a quick look around showed me a lot of 'VGA extension cables' with the screws on the female end. Odd.

Think of it in human usage. A man and a woman go together, where as man and another man or woman and another woman wouldn't. Their productive parts simply "plug in" where as same sex doesn't.

So many things wrong with this sentance, but for the CoC I'd actually say some of them....

MooPi
October 10th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I can't take it. This thread has me in tears I'm laughing so hard.:lolflag: