PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble Copying And Pasting

tom purl
October 8th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I'm using the 64-bit version of 10.4.

Believe it or not, I'm having trouble copying and pasting text. I'm very familiar with copying and pasting text, and I've been using Ubuntu for over 5 years now, so I am very comfortable with both Linux and this distro. But for some reason, the new version makes it very difficult to copy and paste.

The really weird thing about it is that it is intermittent. Sometimes, it will work wonderfully, and then 5 minutes later, it's broken. Also, it doesn't matter whether I use keyboard shortcuts or menu items. It's just very weird.

Is there something within Gnome I can check that might give me an answer? Is there some weird service that just takes care of this type of thing? Does anyone know how to begin to troubleshoot something like this?

Thanks!

Tom PUrl

hrickh
October 8th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I'm using the 64-bit version of 10.4.

Believe it or not, I'm having trouble copying and pasting text. I'm very familiar with copying and pasting text, and I've been using Ubuntu for over 5 years now, so I am very comfortable with both Linux and this distro. But for some reason, the new version makes it very difficult to copy and paste.

The really weird thing about it is that it is intermittent. Sometimes, it will work wonderfully, and then 5 minutes later, it's broken. Also, it doesn't matter whether I use keyboard shortcuts or menu items. It's just very weird.

Is there something within Gnome I can check that might give me an answer? Is there some weird service that just takes care of this type of thing? Does anyone know how to begin to troubleshoot something like this?

Thanks!

Tom PUrl
Gnome has a longstanding bug in that you can't paste something from an application once it's closed.

We've all complained about it for ages.

Your best bet is to install a clipboard manager, such as Pastie (my personal favorite) or Parcellite. They work wonderfully.

R.
==