PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Difficulties in getting Ubuntu to install.

jadarite
October 8th, 2010, 01:27 AM
ubuntu, if you want to make things work nicely, you need to go back to a few simple approaches you did in the past.

Back around 2005, I installed ubuntu on an old imac computer (those colored ones which didn't have a tower) which had very little RAM. I was able to get this done in within a few hours.

Fast forward to the present, and I have a much faster computer, and very fast internet connection where I can stream movies and not have to sit for it to buffer.

I tried to download ubuntu yesterday and it was all or nothing. I couldn't download the files in sets. So, I fell asleep and woke up 8 hours later. This after trying to download it unsuccessfully for 4-5 hours.

I put it on a USB stick and tried to install it on another computer. 1 hour installation? Ok, so, 1 hour isn't a big deal. However, NOBODY MENTIONED I WOULD NEED INTERNET ACCESS AFTER THE INSTALLATION REACHED 100%!!! HELLO!!! THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN USEFUL TO HAVE KNOWN AN HOUR AGO.

Now I have to go through the installation process again and hope in an hour when I connect the computer to the internet before it has reached 100% it will successfully find whatever files are needed.

Please consider what the users are going through to get this running:

1) Make the downloads set to 50-100 MB. This way we can download it all in parts instead of being faced with all or nothing.

2) Inform the users if internet connection will be needed. It might not be too crazy of an idea to check the files first on the internet instead of making the user wait an hour to see if additional files are needed.

3) Oh!! I remember, even though I didn't use this option, that we could install ubuntu straight from the internet. This would make more sense that downloading. Am I mistaken about this? I don't think I am.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 8th, 2010, 02:13 AM
You can use alternative download sites for Ubuntu. These are torrent download sites. They are much faster than using the main servers. Check the download page, and you will see the option.

Every software application I have downloaded requited that I connect to the Internet to get the latest updates. You downloaded Ubuntu from the Internet; therefore, you have Internet. I don't understand your problem.

Installing Ubuntu straight from the Internet uses bandwidth; therefore, I don't understand how you would think this is a preferred alternative.

I am going to sleep soon; therefore, don't expect a reply until sometime tomorrow.

jadarite
October 8th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I have wasted almost a day (24 hours) trying to get this to work, probably 20 hours.

Current status: After re-downloading again, it had to download from the internet for another 30-45 minutes with something. Then, the CPU shot up to 100% and it is saying there are problems with the NTFS partition.

Conclusion: I'll wait till 10.10 comes and a week or so passes to get the bugs worked out. Hopefully I can download 1 file or 1 set of files and be done.

I would at least like to know how long I have to wait to get this working. At least with Windows, it tells you a percentage and you are usually done after 45 minutes with the bulk of the installation.

Every software application I have downloaded requited that I connect to the Internet to get the latest updates.Not as a prequisite to running the program. Not only common sense, as if we were using internet in its first few days of existence, but history in the last 15 years has shown that programs have alpha, beta, and release versions. When there is a release version, that means it can run without updates to some standard level. Updates merely fix bugs or do minor things until the next major release.

To me and from what I see programmers release are in fact that. They have one download for a program. You can update, but that is in addition to something already working. Maybe the updates are simply bug fixes. However, the meat of the program runs. I still don't have that here with ubuntu.

You downloaded ubuntu from the Internet; therefore, you have Internet. I don't understand your problem.If you read my initial post you would see that I stated, "I put it on a USB stick and tried to install it on another computer."

Hence, the other computer didn't have internet access. Yes, I could have connected it. I didn't know it was needed, and during the whole hour of installing the first time, it never mentioned one thing about needing internet.

The second time around, I waited until it was 10 minutes from finishing. As soon as those 10 minutes went by, it connected to the internet. So, I know it didn't need internet access for 50 minutes. Why not tell the user this?

Installing Ubuntu straight from the Internet uses bandwidth; therefore, I don't understand how you would think this is a preferred alternative.It's "a" preferred method when you don't want to waste hours unsuccessfully downloading and trying to install like I have just done these past 20 hours.

I agree, it's not "the" preferred method meaning it's not the best. However, if I could do this back in 2004-2005, then why not now with better results?

At least add some percentage thing so we know how long it will take. I sat around waiting and sleeping, thinking I would eventually get this to work.

If you want this for the common teacher in a classroom who just wants to put it in and "push play", then you need to make changes to the way the installation process is handled.

I am going to sleep soon; therefore, don't expect a reply until sometime tomorrow.Sleep? Been there. Reply? Just finishing now. Sometime tomorrow? Yea, for you probably. For me, it will just be later in the day.

I have to go to school now. I will do dirty deed now of reformatting my laptop, putting a fresh XP Windows copy on, and then try ubuntu another day.

SCORE: 0 ubuntu - 1 Windows

bcbc
October 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM
ubuntu, if you want to make things work nicely, you need to go back to a few simple approaches you did in the past.

Back around 2005, I installed ubuntu on an old imac computer (those colored ones which didn't have a tower) which had very little RAM. I was able to get this done in within a few hours.

Fast forward to the present, and I have a much faster computer, and very fast internet connection where I can stream movies and not have to sit for it to buffer.

I tried to download ubuntu yesterday and it was all or nothing. I couldn't download the files in sets. So, I fell asleep and woke up 8 hours later. This after trying to download it unsuccessfully for 4-5 hours.

I put it on a USB stick and tried to install it on another computer. 1 hour installation? Ok, so, 1 hour isn't a big deal. However, NOBODY MENTIONED I WOULD NEED INTERNET ACCESS AFTER THE INSTALLATION REACHED 100%!!! HELLO!!! THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN USEFUL TO HAVE KNOWN AN HOUR AGO.

Now I have to go through the installation process again and hope in an hour when I connect the computer to the internet before it has reached 100% it will successfully find whatever files are needed.

Please consider what the users are going through to get this running:

1) Make the downloads set to 50-100 MB. This way we can download it all in parts instead of being faced with all or nothing.

2) Inform the users if internet connection will be needed. It might not be too crazy of an idea to check the files first on the internet instead of making the user wait an hour to see if additional files are needed.

3) Oh!! I remember, even though I didn't use this option, that we could install ubuntu straight from the internet. This would make more sense that downloading. Am I mistaken about this? I don't think I am.
You don't need access to the internet to install ubuntu. Except of course to download the 700MB installation image. If you are streaming movies on the net then downloading 700MB shouldn't take you longer than 30minutes, and probably less than that if you use bittorrent as already mentioned.

Once you have created your USB installation medium it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to install. I haven't timed it specifically but I install ubuntu regularly for testing on a machine with no internet available (until after it's installed and I can configure the wireless) and it's quick and painless.

I just wanted to point out that your experience isn't typical, and there must be some other reason for the problems you are experiencing. Try running Ubuntu in "live USB" mode (select "try without installing") to see if there is a hardware incompatibility. Verify the md5sum of the downloaded image. etc.

PRC09
October 8th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I too dont understand your problem?

Step 1: Download Ubuntu

Step 2: Create your install(USB or CD/DVD)

Step 3 : Boot from USB or CD/DVD

Step 4: Install Ubuntu.... With or without internet....

Personally I install without internet and once it is up and running connect and do updates....