PDA

View Full Version : Is The ASVAB test mandatory to take?

TheNerdAL
October 7th, 2010, 11:33 PM
So this Wednesday, I think the Seniors are going to have to take the ASVAB test which is a test that is required to join the military. But I hate war. I think it's just a waste of time if they make all the seniors do it. -____-

I was wondering if it's mandatory or if you can like just say you don't want to take it and they'll let you?

AGNKim
October 8th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I was a recruiter for the Navy. The ASVAB isn't a required test by any federal or state law or mandate, but schools can require students to take it. If they are having you take it, then they (not the military) mandate that.

Also, being a vet, it disheartens me to see someone say they don't want to be in the military because they "hate war". Who doesn't? I like to think it is our military that curbs wars, not produces them.

Lucradia
October 8th, 2010, 12:07 AM
The test was never offered to my school back in 2005-06... so....

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 12:11 AM
doubt its mandatory, I'm pretty sure you could opt out.

DeadSuperHero
October 8th, 2010, 01:06 AM
For what it's worth, the ASVAB was pretty easy. I studied for it a few days in advance and came out with an 89.

phrostbyte
October 8th, 2010, 01:11 AM
It's a pretty 'fun' test IMO. You really aren't under any obligation to the join the military by taking it.

Johansen
October 8th, 2010, 03:25 AM
no, its not mandatory. simply make it look like you filled it out or change your name, do the first 50 questions and leave the classroom 2.5 hours early, and enjoy your time off.

I didn't even do the english section and ended up with an 84 iirc. el score was 139, gt was like 125 or something. so i still got to go wherever i wanted. ended up working on <censored>:P

Legendary_Bibo
October 8th, 2010, 03:32 AM
If you don't plan on going into the military then just screw around on it. My highschool never made us do it though, but I think they offered it.

I could honestly go purple in the face explaining why I'm with you on the whole 'war is unnecessary' thing, but that's a political discussion and we'll leave it out of these forums. :KS

CharlesA
October 8th, 2010, 03:34 AM
I could honestly go purple in the face explaining why I'm with you on the whole 'war is unnecessary' thing, but that's a political discussion and we'll leave it out of these forums. :KS

Yes please. :)

Legendary_Bibo
October 8th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Yes please. :)

I know the rules. :P

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 8th, 2010, 03:37 AM
It was "required" by my school. Meaning that if you were attending on the day that they gave it, then they expected you to take it. There was no penalty for not taking it, or for being absent though. It's nothing about war and more like a general aptitude test. I did get a few calls from recruiters afterwards though, until I told them about my chronic illness.

CharlesA
October 8th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I know the rules. :P

Good. :P

@OP: If you want confirmation if it's mandatory or not, speak to your instructor or someone that deals with that sort of thing.

sloggerkhan
October 8th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I was a recruiter for the Navy. The ASVAB isn't a required test by any federal or state law or mandate, but schools can require students to take it. If they are having you take it, then they (not the military) mandate that.

Also, being a vet, it disheartens me to see someone say they don't want to be in the military because they "hate war". Who doesn't? I like to think it is our military that curbs wars, not produces them.

You can opt out, but you might have to get your parents to help you out talking to the principal or something.

lisati
October 8th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I had to look up what it is, and would be very surprised if someone expected me to take the test. :D

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I had to look up what it is, and would be very surprised if someone expected me to take the test. :D
This^

Just christmas tree it if it doesn't count for anything and enjoy the reading time :)

KiwiNZ
October 8th, 2010, 04:26 AM
So this Wednesday, I think the Seniors are going to have to take the ASVAB test which is a test that is required to join the military. But I hate war. I think it's just a waste of time if they make all the seniors do it. -____-

I was wondering if it's mandatory or if you can like just say you don't want to take it and they'll let you?

The best course of action would be for you and your parents to discuss this with your School. This Forum is not the place to resolve the issue.

Thread closed.