PDA

View Full Version : IT field employment around now

onesandzeros
October 7th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hello all,

I was told recently that IT unemployment in the northeastern US (like DC to Boston) may be as low as 3.5%. Seems a little low to me, although thinking about it, this field is probably somewhat better off than others. Have any of you experienced-but-non-manager types been looking for or found work lately? I've been thinking about taking a few months to do some certs. I watch several job boards, there aren't like 20 new listing daily, but there are several a week. Thanks!

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
October 8th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I picked up a job in Feb (granted, I'm a 1099 contractor for them) with no official experience. If you know your crap, you're employable.

Mike'sHardLinux
October 8th, 2010, 12:27 AM
A friend of mine got a better job in IT about 4 months ago. I just got a better job about 2 months ago. Another friend of mine just got a better job and starts in a couple of weeks. The jobs are definitely out there! Work hard, study hard, make a reputation for yourself.

I realize I am not in the NE, but the IT field as a whole has grown somewhat this year as the economy had improved a bit.

phrostbyte
October 8th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I hate to sound arrogant? When I graduated from my University, I put about a total of 2 hours of effort into looking for a job, and I ended up having to turn down several job offers. My degree is a BS in Computer Science. I also had a very high GPA though.

juancarlospaco
October 8th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Graduated from University means nothing if only you got that,
i work at an university, i see on people that finish the career quickly,
they are GREAT on math, seriously great, but they dont have bare-metal-IT Skills,
they didn't learn how to get an LXC up'n'running via SSH,
dont learn how to configure Port-Channels on Cisco routers,
they didn't learn how to re-ensamble a crashed RAID 6.

I dont say that they dont want/try to,
but things like that seems too hard to learn for these people,
even if they finish the career faster, its like a different set of skills,
not so noticeable on Development area, but on SysAdmin or Network Admin.
No offense.

:)

onesandzeros
October 8th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Thanks for all the posts, everyone.

I hate to sound arrogant?
:smile: no problem, I'm intersted in hearing any experiences or anecdotes that anyone has got

tsinelas30
October 8th, 2010, 02:58 AM
graduated from university means nothing if only you got that,
i work at an university, i see on people that finish the career quickly,
they are great on math, seriously great, but they dont have bare-metal-it skills,
they didn't learn how to get an lxc up'n'running via ssh,
dont learn how to configure port-channels on cisco routers,
they didn't learn how to re-ensamble a crashed raid 6.

I dont say that they dont want/try to,
but things like that seems too hard to learn for these people,
even if they finish the career faster, its like a different set of skills,
not so noticeable on development area, but on sysadmin or network admin.
No offense.

:)

+1

Khakilang
October 8th, 2010, 05:12 AM
You should go for it. Cert is important in getting a job even for a salesman.

endotherm
October 8th, 2010, 05:23 AM
You should go for it. Cert is important in getting a job even for a salesman.
agreed. certs can also help you hone a specialty, while the introductory ones are general enough that they don't limit your options.

Dark_Stang
October 8th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I picked up a job recently in the St. Louis area, which somebody recently told me is one of the worst places to be looking for a job this year. My job focusses pretty much 100% on databases and its split between development and technical consulting. I just graduated last May with no real professional development experience. But I did work for Geek Squad for 3 years doing in-store and on-site services, so I think that really helped my resume.