PDA

View Full Version : Reuters: Microsoft may buy Adobe

tghe-retford
October 7th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Source: http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKN0721049120101007

Potential consequences for Flash and Acrobat Reader on Linux should the deal go through?

Worryingly, that would mean that should the deal go through, Microsoft will have its hands on both its own Silverlight and Adobe's Flash web application and multimedia platform. I also have to wonder if the US regulatory authorities would allow the deal through competition grounds?

sanderd17
October 7th, 2010, 10:32 PM

Potential consequences for Flash and Acrobat Reader on Linux should the deal go through?

Worryingly, that would mean that should the deal go through, Microsoft will have its hands on both its own Silverlight and Adobe's Flash web application and multimedia platform. I also have to wonder if the US regulatory authorities would allow the deal through competition grounds?

Well, lets hope HTML5 will gain a lot of interest. I don't mind about acrobat, but w/o flash, you can't browse the internet very well for now.

Or maybe google is willing to buy acrobat, flash is used on their android phones and if adobe falls under win mob...

Lucradia
October 7th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Well, lets hope HTML5 will gain a lot of interest. I don't mind about acrobat, but w/o flash, you can't browse the internet very well for now.

Or maybe google is willing to buy acrobat, flash is used on their android phones and if adobe falls under win mob...

A lot of people actually bash HTML5 (hence why it's where it is on the xkcd map.)

Also note that there are free alternatives to Acrobat Reader and Acrobat. (Openoffice can export as PDF.)

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 7th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Meh. Flash's days are numbered. I'm already watching videos via the HTML 5 codecs.

Simian Man
October 7th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Hopefully they will discontinue Flash and push Silverlight which is a far superior technology. Also Acrobat is a ridiculously slow program, I have no doubt MS could do better.

bouncingwilf
October 7th, 2010, 10:53 PM
The sooner Adobe products disappear the happier I'll be. I haven't used them since the days when Macromedia was the worst nagware anyone could imagine consequently, the first thing I did with any machine was to remove every last trace of their products (and it wasn't easy ) I've never missed it!

Bouncingwilf

Dustin2128
October 7th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I have no doubt MS could do better.
Two words. Internet Explorer. There are plenty of examples where they could have done better, and they didn't.

MS bashing aside, I doubt this is actually going to happen.

kaldor
October 7th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Microsoft Creative Suite.

Let's get THAT ported to a free OS :)

pwnst*r
October 7th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Two words. Internet Explorer. There are plenty of examples where they could have done better, and they didn't.

You've obviously not tried 8 or 9. But that's okay.

kaldor
October 7th, 2010, 11:00 PM

Still attempting trolling ^^

What's so special about IE8? It's still IE.

Random_Dude
October 7th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Hopefully they will discontinue Flash and push Silverlight which is a far superior technology. Also Acrobat is a ridiculously slow program, I have no doubt MS could do better.

Wouldn't that be a problem for Linux users?
What benefit does Microsoft have in having Silverlight on Linux?

Dustin2128
October 7th, 2010, 11:10 PM
you obviously have not developed websites having to deal with internet explorer not conforming to any known standards. I have not tried IE9, but I'll be glad if it makes amends. That said, thanks to them not supporting xp, I'll have to deal with IE6-8 support until windows xp dies; the late 26th century to be precise.
</rant>
</bash>

kaldor
October 7th, 2010, 11:17 PM
you obviously have not developed websites having to deal with internet explorer not conforming to any known standards. I have not tried ie9, but i'll be glad if it makes amends. That said, thanks to them not supporting xp, i'll have to deal with ie6-8 support until windows xp dies; the late 26th century to be precise.
</rant>
</bash>

+1

sanderd17
October 7th, 2010, 11:19 PM
you obviously have not developed websites having to deal with internet explorer not conforming to any known standards. I have not tried IE9, but I'll be glad if it makes amends. That said, thanks to them not supporting xp, I'll have to deal with IE6-8 support until windows xp dies; the late 26th century to be precise.
</rant>
</bash>

+1 from me too

pwnst*r
October 7th, 2010, 11:40 PM
</rant>
</bash>

Actually I have a bit and IE9 is their best effort yet. Can't argue with dealing with IE6 support though, as our corporation is still stuck using that ancient POS.

Simian Man
October 7th, 2010, 11:43 PM
IE 8 and 9 are much better about standards. And I didn't say all MS products are great. They do have some great products however, IE6 not being among them.

kaldor
October 7th, 2010, 11:48 PM
IE 8 and 9 are much better about standards. And I didn't say all MS products are great. They do have some great products however, IE6 not being among them.

IE8 is still not as secure as the competition, and it's still a trident browser.

I can't judge IE9.

newbie2
October 8th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Meh. Flash's days are numbered. I'm already watching videos via the HTML 5 codecs.

Over time, however, HTML5 will become the standard for websites, he said. "You will see less and less websites using Flash," said Le Hegaret.

Meanwhile, HTML5 is headed toward final approval in two to three years. HTML5 development was begun in 2004 by the Web Hypertext Application Technology Working Group.

"We basically want to be feature-complete by mid-2011," Le Hegaret said. Once the specification reaches that stage, W3C will issue a last call for comments. The next stage would be the candidate recommendation stage and then a recommendation stage. "And then we're done," Le Hegaret said.

Le Hegaret also acknowledged some other shortcomings in HTML5. For example, HTML5 lacks a video codec, and Le Hegaret does not expect to have one in the upcoming specification. "It's a patent issue," he said. The MPEG-4 codec, for example, is covered by patents, Le Hegaret said.

Digital rights management also is not supported in HTML5, he said. This means some video producers will not deploy their videos in HTML5 without this type of protection, he said.
http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/w3c-hold-html5-in-websites-041?page=0,1

phrostbyte
October 8th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I don't think this will be government approval by a long shot.

EnGorDiaz
October 8th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Still attempting trolling ^^

What's so special about IE8? It's still IE.

what a stupid accusation as he was pointing out your experience with a web browser your just upset cus you know nothing of what you speak

jrusso2
October 8th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Since Flash is closed I am pretty sure any Linux versions would be no longer produced.

If they make Flash open there is a chance for a moonlight type group which will always be behind to produce it.

Johansen
October 8th, 2010, 03:11 AM

LMAO

i want to see you open up an 8000 page pdf file on a pentium 2 toughbook with 256 megs of ram (the pdf is 62megs) with anything other than adobe acrobat (i think its v5), and hold down 'page down', until you see a diagram that you recognize, because you can't remember what page it was on.
let me know how long that takes. (i'd post a video, but that might land me in gitmo.)
foxit is bloatware, it takes 90 megs of ram on ubuntu just to open that document, and 100 percent of one core just to scroll it at about twice the speed as i can in acrobat v5 on a pentium2 running windows 98

kevin11951
October 8th, 2010, 05:23 AM
LMAO

i want to see you open up an 8000 page pdf file on a pentium 2 toughbook with 256 megs of ram (the pdf is 62megs) with anything other than adobe acrobat (i think its v5), and hold down 'page down', until you see a diagram that you recognize, because you can't remember what page it was on.
let me know how long that takes. (i'd post a video, but that might land me in gitmo.)
foxit is bloatware, it takes 90 megs of ram on ubuntu just to open that document, and 100 percent of one core just to scroll it at about twice the speed as i can in acrobat v5 on a pentium2 running windows 98

You are comparing an OS released in 2001 (Windows XP?) to one released in 2010, on hardware produced in 2001... Try to open that same pdf on something like Puppy, or a well built Arch Linux.

Edit: Also, I don't mean to sound aggressive, I am genuinely interested in the performance differences.

AlphaMack
October 8th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Wow, two companies who don't know anything about security. Who would have thought?

:popcorn:

mendhak
October 8th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Can I be really stubborn and close-minded and say... this will never, ever happen. Adobe has its (formerly known as) Macromedia products and MS has its Expression products. Then there's Flash and Silverlight. It's not in Adobe's interest at all.

Legendary_Bibo
October 8th, 2010, 08:21 AM
</rant>
</bash>
and you have my +1 axe.

Did I just make a lotr reference?

pwnst*r
October 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I hope this won't screw up adobe air plans for Android.

Ric_NYC
October 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Wow!

What a wonderful world.... Everything controlled by ONE company.
It is so exciting. I just can't wait!

That will bring a lot of new technologies... A lot of competition!

How can I help that monopoly to happen today? Should I install Mono now?

3Miro
October 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Microsoft may buy Adobe: the two companies that I hate the most will be merged into one. How appropriate!

I think Linux is now big enough on Desktop market to actually matter. If they stop Linux flahs then they will lose. Besides, windows flash may be wrapped to work under Linux wine style. It will be buggier than now, but it will not be the end for us. Besides, we do need a better alternative, flash really sux.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 8th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Google will rescue us.

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
and you have my +1 axe.

Did I just make a lotr reference?
no way, I get to be gimli.

Just to make it scarier, you also made a dungeons and dragons reference. You're becoming one of us...

macewan
October 9th, 2010, 03:51 PM

W3C: HTML5 not ready for production (http://www.fiercecio.com/techwatch/story/w3c-html5-not-ready-production/2010-10-08).

It's interesting to note that Jonathan & co. were honored by Microsoft when MSN required FutureWave software to access the content. Fourteen years later his baby may be acquired by Microsoft.

FutureWave's FutureSplash > Macromedia > Adobe - if my 42 yr. old memory serves me right ;-p