PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newb question: why do some add-ons require image disc

waldzinator
October 7th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Hello,

Be gentle, as I'm relatively new to Ubuntu. I've been using it for a few months now, with great results. I usually use Synaptic for add-on installation, but due to some customization issues with installing VirtualBox, I wanted to install via the terminal. I followed the directions on VB's site, and while it was installing the files, the terminal kept prompting me to insert my image disc. I quit and went to install from Synaptic, which also prompted me to insert the disc (the dkms add-on seems to be the culprit). I finally submitted, inserted the disc, and all was well.

I've noticed that I've had to do this once or twice before. I'm assuming this is only necessary when add-on's affect crucial system files/settings (for lack of a better term). Is this correct?

Thanks!

dabl
October 7th, 2010, 03:34 PM
The default installation sets up the CD as a "software source" or repository. You need to disable that particular repository, in synaptic.

waldzinator
October 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Dabl, it is indeed checked under Synaptic. Thanks a lot. I'm good at losing installation discs, so this was a headache waiting to happen.