PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Installation error : No root file system is defined

Funebreux
October 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Hi,

I was installing Ubuntu on an MSI cx620 laptop via wubi with windows 7. My hard disk is patitioned as such : C:\ (OS) and D:\ (Data). I'm installing onto C:\. The installation itself seems to complete fine, and when wubi prompts, I reboot. However, after choosing Ubuntu on the dual boot screen, the finalization blocks at 271% with the error box : "No root file system is defined". Clicking ok merely make the box reappear, and I have to restart the computer.

Having googled the problem, I vaguely understand that a "\" is involved (sorry, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Linux ^^). Could you please offer a little more detail on the procedure ? Thanks !

e79
October 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Compared to Windows where the 'Root' Filesystem is C:, Linux has / as the root folder. So when prompted to specify the root folder, a 'forward-slash' is required (not a backslash).

Here's an example on both OS for the user home directory so maybe it will shed some light for you :

Windows way:
C:\Users\Username\Documents

Linux way:
/home/user/Documents

Hope this helps

Rubi1200
October 7th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Which version of Ubuntu did you try installing via Wubi? This information is important because it affects the possible solution that needs to be offered.

Thanks.

Funebreux
October 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM
It's Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks for explaining that, I get what the problem is now, at least. However I'm still clueless as how to solve it. I discovered I can access the console via grub, I hope that gives me more options ^^.

The main problem is that Wubi dosen't prompt me to choose a root directory, and I don't know ow to force it to choose one.