PDA

View Full Version : When obsession/addiction becomes too much!

amjjawad
October 7th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I'm so addicted, I'm so obsessed about Computers. My history with Computers is a very long story that I prefer not to discuss it here but I'm having a real problem.

I used to sleep 5 hours daily for the last couple of years but for the last mouth, when my obsession turned to be even more with Linux and Ubuntu, I ended up now with -3 hours of sleeping :(

It's so hard to keep up with the latest updates in this world. Linux World is totally another story than "Windows World". I think I should stop blaming myself why I've been using Windows for 10 years.
Now, I feel like I'm born again. Feel like I'm starting from scratch.
Yes, it's a wonderful feeling indeed but I need to ZzZz :(

medic2000
October 7th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Yes i agree with you Linux World is totally different story. I'm glad i have end in here too. But your health is important. If you lose it you will lose everything. So be careful :)

coutts99
October 7th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I'm so addicted, I'm so obsessed about Computers. My history with Computers is a very long story that I prefer not to discuss it here but I'm having a real problem.

I used to sleep 5 hours daily for the last couple of years but for the last mouth, when my obsession turned to be even more with Linux and Ubuntu, I ended up now with -3 hours of sleeping :(

It's so hard to keep up with the latest updates in this world. Linux World is totally another story than "Windows World". I think I should stop blaming myself why I've been using Windows for 10 years.
Yes, it's a wonderful feeling indeed but I need to ZzZz :(

Minus 3 hours of sleep? Jeez!

amjjawad
October 7th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Yes i agree with you Linux World is totally different story. I'm glad i have end in here too. But your health is important. If you lose it you will lose everything. So be careful :)

Above all, the doctors asked me to sleep more and use the computer less. I listened to him ONE day and the next day, I'm back to normal.

I'm thinking to take some pills because I can't function anymore :'(

The BEST part of this, I'm learning so fast so hope to find a balance :)

amjjawad
October 7th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Yes, instead of 5, it became 3.

TNT1
October 7th, 2010, 10:46 AM

Yeah, those wide awake for 27 hours a day times really suck...

gyussz
October 7th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Same here

NightwishFan
October 7th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I remembered a bit of what it felt like to be new to Ubuntu when I tried Haiku for the first time. It is a lot of fun to try new things, especially with computer operating systems.

amjjawad
October 7th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I remembered a bit of what it felt like to be new to Ubuntu when I tried Haiku for the first time. It is a lot of fun to try new things, especially with computer operating systems.

And especially when you fall in LOVE with Computers :)

sideaway
October 7th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I could never fall in love with my computer that much - I'm a sys admin.

But I just love the outdoors. I love sports, beers, bbqs, concerts, and the sun. Oh how I love just being in the sun :)

amjjawad
October 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I could never fall in love with my computer that much - I'm a sys admin.

But I just love the outdoors. I love sports, beers, bbqs, concerts, and the sun. Oh how I love just being in the sun :)

In my case, computers always come first :P

amjjawad
October 8th, 2010, 08:36 AM
HOOO HAAA :)
Finally, I slept more than 3 hours :D hehehe.
I just hope I won't be addicted to pills. Never took a pill to sleep for a very long time. It's Panadol Night. I even saw a dream inside a dream and while I was dreaming, I was telling myself what's going on? am I in Inception movie or what? :)

Khakilang
October 8th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I use to be addicted to computer as well mix and match graphics card, motherboard, RAM, NIC etc with different Distro but I am also into photography to get my mind off computer especially when I am shooting models. Get some sleep your health is important and also try to get some hobby for relaxation or you may end up in rehab for computer addiction. LOL!

amjjawad
October 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Get some sleep your health is important and also try to get some hobby for relaxation or you may end up in rehab for computer addiction. LOL!

ROFL :D
I think I'm already there or about to :P hehehe.

Yes, I have lots of hobbies but most of them are related to computers :)
Today, a friend of mine is going to visit me, she lives in another city so we'll go out and have fun. Hope there's a good movie to watch because I'm a movies addicted too :P

TNT1
October 8th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Gets my vote!

theraje
October 8th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I have an idea where you are coming from. It's not enough to tell someone to "do less X, get more sleep." It's like telling a youngster to clean his room, without explaining that you mean to put everything where it properly belongs and make the bed, etc.

So, allow me to make a few suggestions.

Make a journal of a "normal" day. Write down the date+time every time you do something. This way, you know how long you spend on the computer, how many meals you're getting, how many trips to the bathroom you take, and how long you sleep.

Once you have a good idea of what your "normal" day is, break down each day into a 24 hour period, where each hour/half-hour is accounted for in a "time budget". Allot yourself a certain number of hours a day to computing, eating, sleeping, and at least one hour to doing daily duties - cleaning your workspace, personal hygiene, taking out trash, etc.

Finally, try to find a new hobby. Working on one thing all day every day can make one very narrow and dull. Even if it's closely related to computing. For example, I mainly work on game development, but I took up a hobby project - building an arcade machine. So, when I'm not at the computer, I'm doing things like soldering, woodworking, drafting/planning, and all sorts of things that can come in handy in life.

But - and this is the MOST IMPORTANT part - put forth your best effort. It doesn't matter how smart, talented, or gifted you are if you don't put forth the effort to meet and exceed your potential. You'll either be a smart person who does nothing in life, or a smart person who lives life to its fullest.

So, get out there and put all that pent-up energy to some good use, and tackle new things. "Jack of many trades, but a master of none" isn't a bad thing - especially when you are in the job market.

amjjawad
October 8th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I have an idea where you are coming from. It's not enough to tell someone to "do less X, get more sleep." It's like telling a youngster to clean his room, without explaining that you mean to put everything where it properly belongs and make the bed, etc.

So, allow me to make a few suggestions.

Make a journal of a "normal" day. Write down the date+time every time you do something. This way, you know how long you spend on the computer, how many meals you're getting, how many trips to the bathroom you take, and how long you sleep.

Once you have a good idea of what your "normal" day is, break down each day into a 24 hour period, where each hour/half-hour is accounted for in a "time budget". Allot yourself a certain number of hours a day to computing, eating, sleeping, and at least one hour to doing daily duties - cleaning your workspace, personal hygiene, taking out trash, etc.

Finally, try to find a new hobby. Working on one thing all day every day can make one very narrow and dull. Even if it's closely related to computing. For example, I mainly work on game development, but I took up a hobby project - building an arcade machine. So, when I'm not at the computer, I'm doing things like soldering, woodworking, drafting/planning, and all sorts of things that can come in handy in life.

But - and this is the MOST IMPORTANT part - put forth your best effort. It doesn't matter how smart, talented, or gifted you are if you don't put forth the effort to meet and exceed your potential. You'll either be a smart person who does nothing in life, or a smart person who lives life to its fullest.

So, get out there and put all that pent-up energy to some good use, and tackle new things. "Jack of many trades, but a master of none" isn't a bad thing - especially when you are in the job market.

First of all, thanks A LOT for all these suggestions :)

Thing is, I know I made it sound like I'm so much addicted and know nothing in life but computers but truth is, I'm jobless now and so far, I failed to find a job :( I guess I'm not the only one who has and still suffering from this. I used to do silly stuff like playing games, chatting with friends, etc but this is a waste of time and I've done that because I was too board. Now, I'm so much into learning. After all, I have an IT degree and sooner or later, I have to improve my skill and try my best to find a job in IT market. If not, then at least I can improve my skills and expand my knowledge.
For 10 years, all what I know about Unix, Linux, OS X is: these are Operating System, period. In the past 10 years, I was busy with lots of things and couldn't really find a time to catch up with what's going on. Now, I'm free so every day, I'm trying to find a new hobby.
Beside Computers, I love to change the decoration of my room/home. I like to solve my friends' problems and listen to them. I'm so good at this. I also like movies, I'm addicted to movies actually. I'd love to be an actor and tried with my friend to tape something like a movie but we couldn't find more people to join us :(
Hmmm, what else? I love writing but not reading. I mean, I read my emails, etc but I don't read books. Now, that has changed. I'm so much into reading because listening or watching something is not good enough to learn. READING is a must. I was so wrong because I was too lazy to read.
Some other skills are related to computers. I love fixing PCs/Laptops. Oh, I love teaching. I gave some courses to my friends.
There are lots of things I do and willing to do. But, my addiction to computers is and will always come first.
Yes, I have to look after my health, there's no doubt about that.

I'll try to do what you suggested even though I know myself, I hate to schedule a plan or something because I've never committed to it :P

Again, thank you so much :) I always like to hear from others and see how they think :)

pwnst*r
October 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM
And especially when you fall in LOVE with Computers :)

Go outside.

Seek help.

NightwishFan
October 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Go outside.

Seek help.

They are watching you Neo. :cool:

Frogs Hair
October 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Some people install games for fun , I installed Ubuntu so may computer use has increased dramatically since then . The leaves have changed and the weather has been 70 and sunny so I have been enjoying that as much as possible before winter. Soon, the guitar and computer will become my main free time activities.

pricetech
October 8th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Go outside.

Seek help.

Indeed. In short, get a life.

LowSky
October 8th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I commend the OP for learning something new, but when you become so obsessive about something its time to back away from it.

They are watching you Neo. :cool:

Follow the White Rabbit

Knock...knock...

amjjawad
October 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Indeed. In short, get a life.

I do hate that sentence but thanks for the advice. I do have a life on my way not yours.

amjjawad
October 8th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I commend the OP for learning something new, but when you become so obsessive about something its time to back away from it.

I get bored too fast so hope that won't happen with Linux.

I have lots of things to do on my computer. Photoshop, writing notes, lots of other stuff really. Yes, can't deny most of that on a computer but Linux or learning about it is definitely not the only one I do.

The weather where I live is not that nice and not encouraging to go outside.

amjjawad
October 8th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Some people install games for fun , I installed Ubuntu so may computer use has increased dramatically since then . The leaves have changed and the weather has been 70 and sunny so I have been enjoying that as much as possible before winter. Soon, the guitar and computer will become my main free time activities.

I'd love to learn how to play on a guitar. Any idea what's the best way to learn that?

ubunterooster
October 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM
amjjawad, you remind me a lot of myself. I too have gone through the sleep deprivation, etc, etc... Because in that time it was pretty much my only entertainment possible. But things have changed and I am allowed to have a life but am having a significant difficulty in doing so. Little steps at a time, Little steps at a time. Try to take too big of a step and you are likely to fall.

amjjawad
October 8th, 2010, 05:50 PM
When I think too much of something, I don't feel like sleeping.
When any noise around, that is a good and enough reason to wake up.
When I wake up, it's so hard to go back to sleep. That's why I stay awake.
Before ... 6-7 years, I used to sleep a lot and I mean A LOT. I left my home country and traveled away. When that happened, my whole life has changed and sleeping was one of the things that had changed.
Now, I sleep 5-6 hours but recently, had some problems so 3 hours daily.
Last night, I slept well and I slept 1 hour this afternoon so I feel much much better :)

End of story :)

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM
just give in- sleep 12 hours a day like me. Or go the xkcd route:http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/28_hour_day.png