PDA

View Full Version : Advice on media center passive cooling

Random21
October 7th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I am looking to build a new media center and was wondering what y'all would recommend for cooling the processor. I am going to start basic and eventually add raid and hard drives; heat load outside the processor won't be much right now, but I do want to keep an eye toward the future. I am looking into passive cooling. I plan on getting an AMD quad-core and there are simply too many passive options to go through all the reviews for. I will have other case fans, I just don't want one on my heatsink. Also, space is not a constraint because I don't plan on going for the tiniest formfactor case. Thanks all.

Carondimonio
October 7th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Take a look at these cases:
http://www.hfx.at/

They are expensive, but they're probably the best way to build a totally passive PC.

Paqman
October 7th, 2010, 08:37 AM
If you're not worried about space then i'd get a decent passively-cooled Nvidia GPU and make sure the media centre software you're going to use supports VDPAU. This will take a lot of the load off your CPU, which might mean you can run a smaller one than you otherwise would.

I use an Athlon X2 4850e in my media centre, and can output HD video perfectly. That's a 45W chip, so I could probably cool it passively if I wanted.

If you're using VDPAU you don't need a big hot CPU in a media centre.

Carondimonio
October 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM
A ION Motherboard with an Atom CPU and VDPAU drivers for the GPU is enough for HD Video.