PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install Ubuntu at all !!

Parachutee
October 6th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I have done the Wubi installer and used CD's and everytime I install Ubuntu it is successful. When I restarted my computer and go to select Ubuntu all these letters come on the screen like crazy and then at the bottom it says operations stopped. So is it my computer, cause I downloaded and burned it right from the website.

sanderd17
October 6th, 2010, 11:52 PM
When booting with the live CD, can you press a key when you see a purple screen with an icon of a keyboard and a guy?

Then try some options from the right most menu (I think F6). If it works, report the options, they'll need to be added after your installation.

Parachutee
October 6th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I am completely lost with what you said, I am really new to linux and have not the slightest of a clue on how to do things. You gotta talk to me like I am just learning.

garvinrick4
October 7th, 2010, 12:04 AM
What version of Ubuntu are you trying to install WUBI in?

sanderd17
October 7th, 2010, 12:10 AM
http://pricklytech.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/ubuntu-10-4-lucid-black-blank-screen-during-installation-live-cd/

I mean something like this. The first steps are explained well, follow them to the F6 press, there you'll have to experiment with the availiable options.

If you want to do a wubi install, don't listen to me.

Parachutee
October 7th, 2010, 12:12 AM
The version of Ubuntu I am trying to install is 10.04, the first time I tried to install it was with the Wubi. I have Windows 7 and once I tried it with Wubi and I have the same issue when I burned the iso to a disc and then put it in for the install. Went through the installation successfully. When I went to boot Ubuntu I selected the Ubuntu and it doesn't load up. Did I mention I am setting it up to dual boot with Windows 7. The disc doesn't even let me use the live option where I can try without making any changes to the computer. Is this making sense?

sanderd17
October 7th, 2010, 12:15 AM
If it doesn't do the live modus, it won't install right. That makes sense. I had a similar problem with a previous ubuntu (I think it was 9.04). I needed to adapt the boot options, which you find easy in the live CD under that F6 menu.

Parachutee
October 7th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Okay I will try that out, thanks for your help and I will let you know if there is any other issues or problems.

Parachutee
October 7th, 2010, 02:41 AM
That worked for being able to view it live and try it out, but when I went to go and install it went through the whole process ejected the cd. I restarted and then clicked Ubuntu and it wouldn't load up it said process stopped. Is the cd bad? Does this sound familiar?

sanderd17
October 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM
what option did you use in the F6 menu? you may need to add a similar option to your boot commando.

e.g. if you checked "acpi=off"
start the computer, when you are at the first choice screen, press 'e' to edit. there delete the "quiet" (just to make sure you see the errors if there are any"), there is also something like "splash" you can delete and add "acpi=off" without the quotes.

If you choosed other options, you need to add other parameters to that line.

This is only a temporal change (for 1 boot), once it boots up, you can make the change permanent.

Parachutee
October 20th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Okay, am able to install it and boot from the live cd. when i hit f6 the option i choose for the cd to boot is acpi off. after the installation is complete it wont boot it says something about a kernel what do i do???

sanderd17
October 20th, 2010, 11:23 PM
great, it's acpi.

acpi is the power control, so switching acpi off will mean you won't be able to use hibernate, I don't know about suspend. You also won't be able to read your battery status (if you use a laptop). If you can live without those things (for at least one release), you should do the following:

When you are in GRUB: press 'e' on the standard line. There you have the boot command, search for "quiet splash" and replace it by "acpi=off". This will allow you to boot once. I now need to do a little search on how to make it permanent, will be back in a minute.

Parachutee
October 20th, 2010, 11:38 PM
okay let me know what you can find

sanderd17
October 20th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Ok, if the booting succeeded, open /etc/default/grub:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Then you should see a line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

replace this with

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=off"

Save it and update your grub:

sudo update-grub

Done, you can now reboot without having to give that option every time.

Note: this will disable the nice splash screen, if you still want it be enabled, just add the acpi=off in the quotes instead of using it as a replacement for "quiet splash". don't forget to run the update-grub afterwards.

Parachutee
October 20th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I think i understand what you are saying and I am going to try this out. I will let you know if I have any issues with it.

Parachutee
October 21st, 2010, 02:41 AM
I tried doing what you said but the problem is there is no kernel, do you think i should just burn the cd all over again and delete the partitions and start from scratch? For some reason it didn't install the kernel so when i got to edit there is no kernel. I am not using the wubi installer, I am using a regular live cd that I downloaded and burned.

sanderd17
October 21st, 2010, 08:23 AM
so when grub loads, it's an empty menu? If that's the case, I should restart from scratch. This is a weird problem, really weird.