PDA

View Full Version : Which Version is best

huedawg
October 6th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Hello all :P I have done some reading however, I am still not sure if I need the 64bit . I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 ( 2.83 GHZ ) home pc and was wondering if I could use the 32 bit instead? Also, I read where it states that the 64bit is not really for everyday desktop use ?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !! :P

Rubi1200
October 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM
There is an ongoing discussion about this, but the bottom line is that if you have a 64bit computer there is no reason not to install the 64bit version.

dino99
October 6th, 2010, 07:26 PM
i have a q9550 too and always install i386 iso (alternate) and select pae kernel to be able to use all the installed ram ( >= 3 Go)

i cant see what 64 bits can add anyway for an average user, except if he run heavy apps like morphing, parallel computation, mostly professional apps.

marin123
October 6th, 2010, 07:29 PM
i used 64 bit and now i'm using 32 bit version of ubuntu. theres no difference in running. only difference you can notice is that 32 bit can address only 2.9 GB of RAM. i recommend using 64 bit. i switched to 32 bit because i thought wine could run some programs better, but now i see its all the same...

cascade9
October 6th, 2010, 07:34 PM
There is an ongoing discussion about this, but the bottom line is that if you have a 64bit computer there is no reason not to install the 64bit version.

+1.

i cant see what 64 bits can add anyway for an average user, except if he run heavy apps like morphing, parallel computation, mostly professional apps.

All the benchmarks I've seen make 64-bit 5-10% for almost everywhere, and 64-bit is a LOT faster for video ripping/conversion and audio ripping/conversion.

huedawg
October 6th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the replies ! :) . So why does it still state that the 64 is not for everyday desktop use ? If this is a silly question, I apologize .

Crazedpsyc
October 6th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Just because most computers are still 32 bit and 64 bit is much faster than someone who just uses ubuntu for email and pictures needs

huedawg
October 6th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Is the flash player not enabled during the demo mode ? Also, same with Java ?

efflandt
October 7th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Is the flash player not enabled during the demo mode ? Also, same with Java ?

If you are running the live/install iso from bootable USB with persistent data, or from CD if you have enough RAM, you could install ubuntu-restricted-extras which includes flashplugin-installer and a java runtime substitute. Or you could just install the packages you want. Otherwise Linux Mint, which uses Ubuntu packages, has live/install iso's that include restricted audio/video packages.

huedawg
October 8th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies !! I am leaning a lot here and having fun ! Been 14 years since last touched anything of the unix architecture ..

lisati
October 8th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I've been using 64-bit on two of my machines for some time now, and haven't noticed any problems directly attributable to it so far. I'd like to go completely 64-bit, but my old machine (sometimes used as a backup for my web server) is only 32-bit capable.