PDA

View Full Version : I like Java. Am I a bad person?

Starks
October 6th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Java just makes sense since I had an amazing professor. Dealing with pointers in C++ was maddening and I never learned anything useful like classes with Python.

RiceMonster
October 6th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Yes.

NightwishFan
October 6th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Yes.

Darn beat me too it.

I have nothing against Java except I have no desire to ever program in it.

Dustin2128
October 6th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Burn the heretic!

lovinglinux
October 6th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Never tried to program using Java, but I hate it. I try to avoid anything that runs in Java.

V for Vincent
October 6th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Java's got some weird shortcomings, but it also has some major strong points. People just tend to focus only on the former, for some reason. Anyway, it'll definitely come in useful if you learn it well, so don't go ruining it for yourself, now ;)

ctrlmd
October 6th, 2010, 07:48 AM
:confused: so if you like java you become bad person ?

blueturtl
October 6th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Java turns the portability approach on it's head: instead of porting your code to system specific libraries the libraries are ported for you. Java is like the Soviet Russia of programming languages.

"In Java, the libs port you!" :D

So yeah, you commie! ;)

NightwishFan
October 6th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Java turns the portability approach on it's head: instead of porting your code to system specific libraries the libraries are ported for you. Java is like the Soviet Russia of programming languages.

"In Java, the libs port you!" :D

So yeah, you commie! ;)

Nice :), In Soviet Russia, module loads you!

Tibuda
October 6th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Yes, you are bad, but not because you like Java.

Grenage
October 6th, 2010, 10:25 AM
There's probably a special level of hell, exclusively for Java developers.

fatality_uk
October 6th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I blame the parents!! Kids should be taught from day one:
Java is the Devils work :)

t0p
October 6th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Java (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java) looks like a nice place to visit, but I don't think I'd want to live there.

Noz3001
October 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Java is a nice programming language, especially now I can use the OpenJDK. www.minecraft.net is a great - if not overused - example of Java power. Although, using Java on web pages is something satan would do.

- Haters gonna hate

ebasa
October 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Now that you are out of the closet, don't let anyone put you down! After all you were born that way!

TNT1
October 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM
A witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! We've found a witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! We've got a witch! A witch! A witch! Burn her! Burn her!

Hiren Modi
October 6th, 2010, 01:26 PM
java language run any platform and its secure code. i like java.... but i m not a bad person:)

t0p
October 6th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin.

wkhasintha
October 6th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Java just makes sense since I had an amazing professor. Dealing with pointers in C++ was maddening and I never learned anything useful like classes with Python.

If liking java makes me a bad person , so be it ..

:evil::evil::evil:

s0rc3r3r
October 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
ooh..I'm BAD!!!
:guitar:

forrestcupp
October 6th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Dealing with pointers in C++ was maddening

Pointers are confusing at first, but then when it clicks, you wonder why you didn't understand them. They're pretty powerful when used correctly. But there are a lot of people who overuse them when they're not really needed.

I haven't looked into Java much, but it seems like there is a huge demand for it in the work force. We just hope Oracle doesn't go and screw everything up.

Dragonbite
October 6th, 2010, 03:28 PM

Pssst...

If you want to avoid a conflict, just somehow bring Mono into the conversation. Everybody will be so hell-bent on trashing or defending Mono that you and other Java-sympathizers can sneak out of the back door before anybody notices.

Java shines like a new penny when it is put next to Mono (whether or not there is any technical merit).

;)

endotherm
October 6th, 2010, 03:30 PM

yes.

kidding aside, no, java is/has a nice object model, and it supports some of the more interesting facets of OO design. not a bad language for teaching design concepts without mucking more with the language than the OO concepts.
Java however is troublesome in implementation making it harder to deploy and support than some other platforms. Personally I prefer C#, but since they pay me to write windows code, thats only natural. I don't use mono so....
for instance I just got a request to rejigger someones java applet, because the lab the app is deployed in can no longer run IE6....

you have a point about python. it does OO just fine, but has some really weird idiosyncrasies that aren't apparent in any OO language I've ever seen before, due to it's dynamic nature. I recomend learning OO and then learning to apply it to python.

KdotJ
October 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Java is a great language! Stick to what you like... And don't worry about people who say that java is bad or incapable just because they don't like it (people who are usually just following the crowd because other people say they don't like it, people who have no experience in it). I dislike python but that doesn't mean it's bad...
+1 for java

Spice Weasel
October 6th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I only like it because .jars run on MS Windows user accounts that don't have permission to run .exes. :D

ikt
October 6th, 2010, 05:27 PM
how has no one linked this yet..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo-cIGVaOYE

contains 1 slightly risky scene.

cprofitt
October 6th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Java is more like C#... I like C# as a language, but not the quasi-techno-political stuff behind it. Recently Java has gained that same baggage.

I currently focus on Python, Erlang and C.

Simian Man
October 6th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Not bad, just misguided. Java may as well just be called "Blub (http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?BlubParadox)". If you learn, really learn, languages like Python, Ocaml, or Lisp, programming in Java will be torturous.

kpkeerthi
October 6th, 2010, 05:57 PM
No matter what anybody says Java has found its place on the server side and is here to stay. We code on Windows, test on Linux and Unix and deploy on Z/OS for production. Its just amazing that this is possible with Java. I doubt there is a fortune 500 company that doesn't use Java on the enterprise.

And to those that say that coding in Java is painful, you are either amateur or does not practice good coding style. Java by design is Object Oriented and IMO has the cleanest well thought out APIs.

armageddon08
October 6th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Java is awesome, although may be not that good for desktop apps. But on the server side coding servlets and jsps is just too cool. Java has web frameworks galore, Struts, Hibernate, Spring etc. all geared towards specific tasks and needs. And with GWT, Java is reaching out to the client side as well.

I do Java, do you? ;)

directhex
October 6th, 2010, 07:27 PM

I did my degree with Java. There's no reason not to use it if you're comfortable with it and happy with it - same goes for any framework!

Jaecyn42
October 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Personally, I despise Java; but that has more to do with the fact that my Java professor is incompetent and barely possesses any English literacy. Gotta love Affirmative Action.

In a sad twist of fate, this has made "Event Driven Programming in Visual Basic" my favorite class for this semester...

Flame on.

schauerlich
October 6th, 2010, 07:42 PM
At least you don't like C++.

jusuchin85
October 6th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Back in the university days, I was exposed to a number of languages (PHP, ASP.net, C#, C++, C, ASM, Java). From all these, I focused more on Java just because I like their clean and easier to understand coding style. I admit; I suck at pointers in C, and found out that object-oriented programming twists your mind a little.

NovaAesa
October 7th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Java is nice for OOP, although it has its issues. All up I would say it's a pretty good language.