PDA

View Full Version : How do used computers end up without an OS?

jhsu802701
October 6th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I'm shopping for a used computer.

Most used computers come with some form of Windows XP (or Vista for newer used computers), but some used computers come with no OS.

Besides lost/damaged Windows CDs and lost Windows keys, how do used computers end up without an OS? Who (besides Linux users) would buy a computer without an OS?

devondashla
October 6th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I'm shopping for a used computer.

Most used computers come with some form of Windows XP (or Vista for newer used computers), but some used computers come with no OS.

Besides lost/damaged Windows CDs and lost Windows keys, how do used computers end up without an OS? Who (besides Linux users) would buy a computer without an OS?

A windows user too uninformed enough to realise what "No OS" means, most likely.

mamamia88
October 6th, 2010, 04:56 AM
maybe they formatted the harddrive before selling it? maybe they replaced the harddrive before selling it?

Chris1274
October 6th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Easy. The seller deletes the contents of the hard drive before selling it.

jhsu802701
October 6th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Given that most people use Windows, wouldn't somebody selling a computer want to reinstall Windows after cleansing the hard drive?

nlsthzn
October 6th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Given that most people use Windows, wouldn't somebody selling a computer want to reinstall Windows after cleansing the hard drive?

The previous owner of the computer may have removed Windows from that machine and installed it on a new machine...

Dustin2128
October 6th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I'd prefer that all computers ship without OSes; they come 60$ (or whatever the price of a windows license is) cheaper, and it gives free operating systems a chance. Experts say it's going to happen on the 30th of February, 2011.

jhsu802701
October 6th, 2010, 05:26 AM
The previous owner of the computer may have removed Windows from that machine and installed it on a new machine...

Is that legal? Doesn't Microsoft have many restrictions on moving the Windows OS from one computer or another?

CharlesA
October 6th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Is that legal? Doesn't Microsoft have many restrictions on moving the Windows OS from one computer or another?

That's fine if it's a retail copy, but if it's an OEM copy, it is bound to the motherboard or something of the pc it was installed on.

I wipe any machine I want to give away with DBAN, then include the install media with said machine.

You can never be too careful.

Zoot7
October 6th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Experts say it's going to happen on the 30th of February, 2011.
Experts say?

Khakilang
October 6th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I think the previous owner do not want their personal file to be seen so they format the hard disk or maybe even change it and use their old hard disk on a newer computer. I have done for them on several occasion.

nlsthzn
October 6th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Experts say?

I see you don't see what he did there...

t0p
October 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I don't mind if a computer comes to me with no OS - I am capable of installing one for myself. But I think it would be nice if people selling or giving away a computer would install an OS after they've cleansed the machine of their own data. If you're not au fait with installation, or if you have no access to the internet to download a Linux .iso, you may be screwed.

Having said that, I wish Windows was not the automatic choice for those people who sell/give away computers. Wouldn't it be nice if recipients of used computers found a Linux OS on their "new" machine? Maybe a dual-boot, with XP. It might increase uptake a little.

fatality_uk
October 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Experts say?

Check the date ;)

skeetre
October 6th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I don't mind if a computer comes to me with no OS - I am capable of installing one for myself. But I think it would be nice if people selling or giving away a computer would install an OS after they've cleansed the machine of their own data. If you're not au fait with installation, or if you have no access to the internet to download a Linux .iso, you may be screwed.

Having said that, I wish Windows was not the automatic choice for those people who sell/give away computers. Wouldn't it be nice if recipients of used computers found a Linux OS on their "new" machine? Maybe a dual-boot, with XP. It might increase uptake a little.

I used to sell computers as a side business and sold a lot of used computers. I always put linux on the computer if the customer would let me. Most would let me set it up to dual boot, some even asked me to when I showed them Linux... a few though would say "I don't want that linux crap on there, just give me windows so I can play my games".

But you have to look at who's selling and giving away these computers. Unless they're Linux advocates themselves, they're going to sell/give away the computer with no os or with windows on it.

If you're buying a used machine... even if you're a windows user, I'd hope you ask to test the machine or see it in use before buying. And then you should get whatever OS is on it, or get/ask for a discount if it comes without an OS.

That would be the best for us linux guys... buy a used machine, ask for a discount to buy it without an OS, since we'd have to 'buy' a new OS for it. Then install linux for free!

Chris1274
October 6th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I'm currently auctioning on ebay a laptop that came with win7, which I later replaced with Ubuntu. I wiped the hard drive clean using the shred function (5 passes) will ship it with the original win7 reinstallation DVDs (along with an Ubuntu DVD too, just in case ;))

nerdopolis
October 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM
not too long ago at all, I saw a used laptop on the internet for sale with a description that pretty much looked like this: (I forgot the exact details)

company name, model number,spec,spec,Windows 7,spec,no os

Hmm... I have a car here that does not have an engine, but it does have one of those things that make it go...

Zoot7
October 6th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I see you don't see what he did there...

Check the date ;)

:oops: I don't think I was awake earlier.

Dustin2128
October 6th, 2010, 11:21 PM
:oops: I don't think I was awake earlier.
I know the feeling. I should probably swap to doing support while awake and cafe while asleep... nah!

oldsoundguy
October 6th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Even OEM can be moved provided there is at least ONE piece of hardware that was on the original box .. can be a card or a drive. It is just that it you have to go through the "mother may I" hassle of a call to MS and wait on hold for someone to decide they will shut off one of the flashing lights for a while.

They will want to know "what happened". I almost always say the mother board died. That solves answering a whole bunch of other questions.

corncob
October 7th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I understand that Microsoft coerces distributors to install Windows in their computers thus forcing consumers to buy it. They claim that this reduces piracy but I'm sure the real reason is that they fear people will be installing Linux and not buying Windows.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 7th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I had an old computer I sold without an OS.

When I bought the computer, it had a utility for burning your own OEM restore CDs. You could only run the utility once. I made the CDs and saved them. After using the computer for many years, the Windows XP OS got corrupted during a security update. When I tried to use the CDs to restore the OS, I discovered that there was a bad burn of one of the restore CDs. It was a computer with only a single core and 256 MB of RAM. I wasn't happy with the way minimal Linux OS installations worked on it. I decided to wipe the drive with shred, and get ride of it.

In the community where I live, we have two electronics recycle days each year. Outside of the recycling center, there has grown an unofficial computer swap community. People swap parts, pay for computers to be used for parts, sell working used computers, and so forth. What makes it to the recycling center is truly junk. Often the junk are the carcases of the computers that were bought for parts the previous recycling day.

Due to the one chance OEM CD restore utility burn; that may not work all the time, I understand why some computers are sold without and OS.

Z_Cee
December 13th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I have people bring me their old computer wanting me to wipe their personal stuff off their computer so they can give it away. When I tell them the only way I can do that is to wipe the HDD completely and reinstall Windows or Linux they get upset.

People just don't understand, they just think anything is a 5 minute job?

madhi19
December 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I bought my current rig a year ago used. The guy installed XP on it to demonstrate the machine I told him not do anything too fancy because I would not bother booting XP at home. Even if I would have used Windows I would have formated the drive at least once and done my own install anyway. Because you never know what on a computer that you buy used you should always wipe the drive clean!

msandoy
December 13th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I have people bring me their old computer wanting me to wipe their personal stuff off their computer so they can give it away. When I tell them the only way I can do that is to wipe the HDD completely and reinstall Windows or Linux they get upset.

People just don't understand, they just think anything is a 5 minute job?

I can't blame them, just see any Hollywood movie featuring a computer. The "Expert" can do anything within seconds, and you say you need at least 2-3 hours?
BTW, I have the same problem, I just tell them, leave the computer with me, and pick it up later. Then I can fiddle with it while doing other stuff on the side. Installation is mostly waiting anyway.