PDA

View Full Version : Alternative uses of the Amazon Kindle

QwUo173Hy
October 6th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Besides actually reading books, which is it's primary purpose, I've found the device good for a few other things:

- Viewing photographs (using Couturier PDF for Ubuntu, rotated to portrait view)
- Viewing comic strips (using same method as above)
- Storing recipes
- Wikipedia
- Gmail (slow, and not practical for lengthy replies, but handy to check for anything important)

It's not good for general surfing, as sites with rich content are very slow to load, but if you have a favorite blog or something, then you can bookmark that easily.

I've heard that someone has Ubuntu running on it. I don't know if that's a joke or not, but if anyone has come up with other uses for the device, I'd love to hear about it. I love the fact that there's no light blasting into my eyes for a change, and the complete silent operation of it is a novelty.

LMP900
October 6th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I save long online articles to Instapaper and export to a Kindle file in the morning to read while I'm out. I also play games (hidden games as well as the recent ones in the store).

gotMAD
October 6th, 2010, 02:56 AM
a paper weight

QwUo173Hy
October 6th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I save long online articles to Instapaper and export to a Kindle file in the morning to read while I'm out. I also play games (hidden games as well as the recent ones in the store).
Cool, what are the games? I've heard of Instapaper - I'll give it a look as I enjoy being away from the computer screen as much as possible. It would be nice to pop open all the articles in separate tabs and send them to the kindle.

gotMad, that's a good idea. I had been using a calculator as a paperweight, but it deosn't have as many features as the kindle so I might try using the kindle instead.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
October 6th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Is it just me or is instapaper unusably slow?