PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Undo "remove package"

ArmoredSandwich
October 5th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Hi,

My Ubuntu Chrome installation did not work correctly It did not always complete auto-complete, I couldn't install dictionaries, the bookmarks bar didn't really work and buttons did not work or even showed. This is why I decided to uninstall and then install it (reinstall didn't solve anything).

The first time I installed it by downloading it from the web, but Ubuntu did not recognize it correctly. Because of this I now only install programs and such using the synaptic package manager. However, I appearantly pressed "remove package" because now I can not find the package anywhere!

I searched and tried a couple of things but I cannot seem to restore the repository so I can install Chrome using the manager. There has to be a normal way to actually get the package in the repository, right?

Thanks!
Armored

Also, why would anyone ever want to remove a package anyway?

krishnandu.sarkar
October 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Well...you need to add the repository for Chrome. Chrome is not included in any of the repositories that comes bundled with Ubuntu. I'd say that download it directly from chrome's website. Installation is that easy...and it'll add the repository for you too.

ArmoredSandwich
October 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Okay, I'll try that one more time. Last time it did install but Ubuntu did not seem to notice it was installed. The console did not recognize it and I couldn't find it anywhere :S

EDIT: sigh, it installed but still the same problems ... I guess I should just find all Chrome files and delete them manually or something..

krishnandu.sarkar
October 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM
No no never...don't even think of doing that. Why are you using console..?? Just download chrome and double click it. That's all.

ArmoredSandwich
October 5th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I'm using console for a lot of things... For example because I oftentimes become annoyed by using the horrible nautilus.

But I think you misunderstood me. When I installed Ubuntu I installed Chrome then I transfered all my Chrome setting files(such as bookmarks and browse history) to Ubuntu. But because Chrome isn't working properly (see first post) I tried to reinstall it, which didn't solve anything. Then I pressed "remove completely", which well.. removed it "completely". Unable to find an install button I came back for your help.

Now it is installed, but the problem isn't solved.

BTW, thanks for your help and fast replies so far ;)

krishnandu.sarkar
October 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Ohh sorry...I got it wrong. :(