PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed 10.10 on two Dell laptops yesterday.

irv
October 5th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Thought I would try 10.10 so I installed it on a friends Laptop. She had windows xp on it, and she was getting blue screens all the time. I told her if she would let me put Ubuntu on it, she would never see a blue screen again. She told me to go for it. I believe she will be very happy I did it for her. The install when very well and fast too. She had a Dell Inspiron 1505. No problem at all.
After doing a clean install, (wipe XP and use the entire drive for 10.10). I thought I better upgrade my Dell Inspiron 1521 from 10.04 to 10.10, which I did. It took much longer to do, because I have much more software programs on it then on the clean 1505.
Everything went well, and everything works, but the only thing I see different is a message I get at boot time.
When I start with a cold start, I get a black screen with this message:

vga=786 is depreacted, use set gfypayload=640x480x24, 640x480 before Linux command instead. This message will stay displayed until the "UBUNTU" logo appears. The laptop continues to boot fine after that. Everything seem to work and it looks like a good release.
I am going to try to change some setting in the startup manager and see if I can get rid of this message.

irv
October 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I tried changing some setting in the startup manager, but it doesn't make any difference I still get the message at boot up.

irv
October 6th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Now that I am running Ubuntu 10.10 - the Maverick Meerkat and things were looking good, I had some updates this morning and now I lost some colors in my theme packages. No matter what theme I use it look like this:
This is not good. I hope this gets fixed.

irv
October 7th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Now that I am running Ubuntu 10.10 - the Maverick Meerkat and things were looking good, I had some updates this morning and now I lost some colors in my theme packages. No matter what theme I use it look like this:
This is not good. I hope this gets fixed.
Hey my colors in my theme packages are back today.
It is now good again.