PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Toshiba NB200 Ubuntu 10.10 upgrade problem slow erratic reboots

pete2222
October 5th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 and found that it took ages to restart or start up, and this seemed to vary.

Has anyone else had this problem. Could it be associated with the way I upgraded? Is it better to do a fresh wipe/install? I have gone back to 10.04 for now and it works great, but would like to use 10.10 if I could get working as well.

Please tell me if you are running Ubuntu 10.10 well on a Toshiba NB200 netbook .

mörgæs
October 5th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Toshibas can be tricky - they are well-known in the forum... If you have a working 10.04, why not stick to it?

However, if you want to experiment with 10.10, here is some advice:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1580857

Just remember that Ubuntus (like Windows) always needs a few months after release to be really stable.

empoulator
October 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I got a similar problem. Yesterday, for the first time, I was proposed to update Ubuntu 10.10.

Since then, I cannot get the graphical interface working... I just spent 5 frustrating hours trying to make it work again with no result.

I got a new computer recently and installed Ubuntu 10.10 because it made everything work smoothly from the beginning. This was not the case with Ubuntu 9.

Toshibas can be tricky - they are well-known in the forum... If you have a working 10.04, why not stick to it?

However, if you want to experiment with 10.10, here is some advice:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1580857

Just remember that Ubuntus (like Windows) always needs a few months after release to be really stable.

grugef
October 10th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I had the same problem, downloaded it today and spent all evening to try to install it, without success. I'm a newby, it's the first time I use linux, but the problems I experienced don't seem to be my fault.

I began to install in the afternoon, and after some hours of black screen a few command lines scrolled down, followed by the ubuntu logo with the red dots. I had dinner, washed dishes and wore pijama, and the logo was still there, but a red dot became white..
I went to sleep, got up in the morning and had breakfast, and there were two white dots, but nothing else.
Time passed, I celebrated Christmas and New Year's Day, but still no news from my netbook.
After the time a turtle spends to circumnavigate the Earth walking backwards I decided to shut the pc down and download ubuntu 10.04.
Tomorrow i will try with that version, hoping in more luck.
I'll let you know..

pete2222
October 10th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I had the same problem, downloaded it today and spent all evening to try to install it, without success. I'm a newby, it's the first time I use linux, but the problems I experienced don't seem to be my fault.

I began to install in the afternoon, and after some hours of black screen a few command lines scrolled down, followed by the ubuntu logo with the red dots. I had dinner, washed dishes and wore pijama, and the logo was still there, but a red dot became white..
I went to sleep, got up in the morning and had breakfast, and there were two white dots, but nothing else.
Time passed, I celebrated Christmas and New Year's Day, but still no news from my netbook.
After the time a turtle spends to circumnavigate the Earth walking backwards I decided to shut the pc down and download ubuntu 10.04.
Tomorrow i will try with that version, hoping in more luck.
I'll let you know..

10.04 works great on a toshiba NB200. There are two quite simple things you need to do though. The first is is to fix the sound, the second is to make the bootup speed normal. Here is the link to the sound fix

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1455705&highlight=10.04+sound+NB200

StealthCP
October 15th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Ok guys, I got three of these today, and I reckon this could be a kernel issue.

In the installer, you might notice it going slowly. On the boot splash, you may notice even the dots stop changing in sequence.

You might notice holding a key on the keyboard, or moving the touchpad continuously, solves this problem. Basically, if there is user input there, it continues to tick.

Could this be an issue with the Atom Processor? Can anyone else confirm this behaviour on other Atom based machines during these times? It doesn't happen when you are in your desktop environment, but does in the installer, on bootsplash, and even the bootloader can fail to load up if I'm not tapping keys constantly.

I'm going to run a few more tests, I'll report back on anything I know.

EDIT: A temporary fix seems to be changing the SATA mode in the BIOS from AHCI to compatibility.

waveskiJohn
October 19th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Thanks StealthCP - setting the SATA to compatibility and waggling a finger over the touchpad works for me (hadn't thought of trying that), as does booting up with the previous kernel version.

andy258
October 31st, 2010, 08:56 AM
Hi,
I had random boot delay issues, not sure if they're the same, my unit is up and running in around 25 seconds. Used this fix, can't remember who posted it now, but it worked a treat for me:

/etc/grub.d/10_linux
add nohz=off to end of line:

EOF
fi
cat << EOF
linux ${rel_dirname}/${basename} root=${linux_root_device_thisversion} ro ${args} nohz=off

then update grub:
sudo update-grub

netmonky
October 31st, 2010, 04:57 PM
I also have a nb200 and upgraded to 10.10 today. As all users above, when i boot using 2.6.35-23 i have to hold the enter key to keep it "ticking on". If i boot 10.10. with 2.6.32.35 all works as expected so I suspect this is a kernel issue :-(.

Any other workarounds would be helpful :-)

thnurg
November 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
I found this today. It appears to have worked for 10.10 on my NB200.

http://www.linlap.com/wiki/toshiba+nb200

Add nohz=off to your kernel options as mentioned.

andy258
November 3rd, 2010, 08:14 PM
Remembered where I found it:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks/ToshibaNB205

GapInTheClouds
March 19th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Excellent! The nohz=off trick worked a treat for my NB200. Thanks for that!

I got fed up of wiggling the mouse to make it boot, so I was just using the old kernel, but now I can use the shiny new kernel :D. Thanks again.