PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unix installation on laptop.

Owen Thomas
October 5th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Hello there.

I've been developing an application in Java on Windows for some time, and it appears that I am now struggling with file name limitations. Hence, I've decided to work in Linux because I believe no such restrictions apply.

I wanted to get the latest version of Ubuntu as a CD, and install is on my laptop as a dual boot Windows/Ubuntu machine, but when I tried to get the CD, the shipit.ubuntu.com site says that it is closed but will open shortly with 10.04.

So, my first question is: when will the site reopen? Should I wait?

On the other hand, I do have a PC that hosts Ubuntu 8.04 exclusively, and I have found the installation CD that I used to set the PC machine up with. I'm thinking I could just use the 8.04 CD, and download 10.04 or even 10.10 at my leisure in the future. However, another question occurred to me when I looked at the CD's sleeve.

The CD's sleeve says that I can install Ubuntu within Windows; I do not have to create a separate disk partition and I can run both OS's simultaneously - Ubuntu within Windows. I would like to do this, but I'm concerned that if I install Ubuntu within Windows, my original reason (to get around the Windows file system) remains un-addressed.

So, my second question is: do I get the Linux file system within an Ubuntu installation on Windows, or do I get something like Windows with Linux curtains? In other words, does Ubuntu use the Windows file system, or might it, say, create a file system that looks to Windows like one flat file? This is an important consideration for me because I do not want to be restricted by 250 or so character absolute file names in Windows.

Thanks for your advice,

Owen.

dirghrabadia
October 5th, 2010, 06:13 AM
You might want to download the .iso file, and burn it on a CD/DVD, rather than waiting for the CD to be shipped. Download your .iso file for 10.04.1 from here (http://releases.ubuntu.com/).

As for your second concern, you get full functionality even when you install Ubuntu inside Windows (called WUBI install), but don't expect it to be smooth enough like if you were to make a separate partition for Ubuntu. In short, you won't have your filename problem if you get Ubuntu using any of the possible ways. Hope that helps :)

Owen Thomas
October 5th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Thanks dirghrabadia. I'll give WUBI a try then.

Owen Thomas
October 5th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Bravo Ubuntu.