PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Complications?

S. Vaden Blue
October 5th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I have been using ubuntu 10.04 LTS in a dual boot environment with windows vista for over a month now and have been loving it. In fact, I haven't used Vista more than twice in this time and I could easily do without it.

When I first installed Ubuntu, it went off without a hitch. My question is this: If I choose to do a fresh install using the entire disk, should the install likely run as smoothly the previous times I have installed Ubuntu in a dual boot environment? Also, I was wondering if I should remove the previous install before I do this?

Thanks in advance.

andrewthomas
October 5th, 2010, 01:30 AM
If you want to use the entire disk, you have to do nothing but boot from the CD and choose to use entire drive.

It should go just as smooth as any dual-boot install.

S. Vaden Blue
October 5th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Thank you, andrewthomas. I guess I'm just a little nervous. Man, am I loving Ubuntu, though.

Dex73
October 5th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Not sure how much you know about a complete install. It will delete everything in windows and the ubuntu you already have on there. An external hard drive with all of your files backed up on it is likely necessary even if you expect things to go well.

S. Vaden Blue
October 5th, 2010, 02:09 AM
I do know that it will wipe out everything. Actually, there is not much that I cannot lose. Plus, I have some more important stuff on Ubuntu One.

andrewthomas
October 5th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Go for it.

Dex73
October 5th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Just checking. Better to be cautious, rather than destroying everything.

davec64
October 5th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Just a thought, if you considering a full install consider putting /home in a separate partition. It just makes life that little bit simpler with new version installs keeping all your files and setting separate. :)