PDA

View Full Version : Just an expression of gratitude

mondaymonkey
October 4th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I've been tooling with Ubuntu since late '08, and, began using Ubuntu primarily in late '09 with WinVista still dualbooted. This summer, I took the plunge after my WinVista had a series of serious temper tantrums this June. For the last 4 months, I've been happily using Ubuntu UNE completely by itself.

I got rid of one of my computer completely, and simply use my Asus EeePc 900A, with a large external monitor & external harddrive (only 4gb internal HDD, try fitting anything windows on that!)

I can say absolutely that this is my favourite set up. Nothing that any major hardware vendor or Mac puts out comes close in terms of functionality, usability, ease of use, cost, and most importantly, versatility. I wouldn't trade this computer for any other system I could buy at a computer equipment store. It fits my life perfectly, and gives me one of the greatest feelings in the world that I don't support closed source software.

So I have to give my sincerest gratitude to the long hours developers put into developing open sourced software such as Ubuntu.

It isn't surprising that with each generation of windows product released, productivity does not improve, and the same user interface problems still arise. With Ubuntu, my computer runs fast, smooth and reliably, no matter what day of the week, on absolutely barebones system specs. (Try running Windows xp,vista,7 on 4gb HDD, 1 gb RAM & 1.6ghz single core processor and support a 1920x1080 res screen with no lag or downtime).

I wish the best of luck to the future of open source software, and sincerely hope that more people find out a very viable option for extremely overpriced, underperforming computers major software vendors try to sell.

Pablo Pablovski
October 4th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Well said, that man. Since originally dipping my toe into the scary waters of ubuntu in 2006, I've been so impressed with the pace of development, the lack of significant problems and issues, and the performance on my dated hardware.

Now, I use nothing else (except the odd battle with the unresponsive mess that is iTunes on Win XP), knowing I can do it all on Linux.

And, what with the recession and all, there's a great opportunity to spread the word to a public desperate for something new... and free.

Dustin2128
October 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM
very well put, glad its working out well for you. I've been using linux exclusively (minus being forced to use windows on school computers) for almost 2 years.

by the way, there's a testimonials sub-forum:http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103

Junosix
October 5th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Do you know what? I love reading posts like that, and it's a shame they're few and far between. Most people grumble at Ubuntu for being "rubbish" when it's clear they just haven't bothered putting the research and effort into learning it properly. Ubuntu is amazing.

cra1g321
October 5th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Do you know what? I love reading posts like that, and it's a shame they're few and far between. Most people grumble at Ubuntu for being "rubbish" when it's clear they just haven't bothered putting the research and effort into learning it properly. Ubuntu is amazing.

Yeah i hate it when people dont give ubuntu a full chance or proper attempt at trying to use it as their main OS.

For example people who have used windows for years, who try ubuntu and complain about not being able to use it as easily as they do with windows then just end up going back to windows after a day or more.
They dont realise that they've been using windows for years and ubuntu for only day or so.
They just expect to able to know everything about ubuntu because they've been using a computer for years.

drawkcab
October 6th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I have a 900a with UNE too. It's great actually.

I think I'm going to install UNE or Kubuntu Netbook on my HTPC.