PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 installer won't work?

Lucky75
October 4th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Has anyone else encountered an issue when installing where you can't get past the screen where you enter the computer name/password? The "next" button is just disabled, and nothing I do will re-enable it.

I've tried manual partitions, automatic, different passwords & computer names, different timezones. Perhaps it's a problem with installing on virtualbox?

mörgæs
October 4th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Is it also a problem using the alternate installer?

Lucky75
October 5th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Not sure. There's an alternate installer? How do I access it?

andrewthomas
October 5th, 2010, 03:10 AM
http://mirror.calvin.edu/ubuntu-releases//10.10/

about half-way down the page

or torrents at the bottom.

ppedruzzi
October 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Has anyone else encountered an issue when installing where you can't get past the screen where you enter the computer name/password? The "next" button is just disabled, and nothing I do will re-enable it.

I've tried manual partitions, automatic, different passwords & computer names, different timezones. Perhaps it's a problem with installing on virtualbox?

I had the same problem. I worked around it by avoiding dots in my user name.

A bug report should be filled about it.

kansasnoob
October 11th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I believe you'll find that the username can only consist of lower case letters, no CAPS, and no odd characters.

So, I could use the name:

John Smith, but the username must be:

john

Or anything else I'd care to create using only lower case letters. Not sure about numbers :confused:

Also not sure if it's a bug or not?

Rubi1200
October 11th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Numbers are not a problem, at least in 9.10 and 10.04. Not sure about 10.10 as I have not tested it yet.