PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot get Scanners to work in Maverick with Xsane

andreseso
October 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hello,

With Lucid I was capable of scanning both with my Epson Perfection 640 U scanner and with my HP-M1120n-MFP network scanner. To get the HP-M1120n to work I had to rename a file which I do not remenber which was. I do not remember where I found the instructions.

I am running HPLIP 3.10.6 with Device Manager 15.0

I did a fresh install of Maverick Beta and I am not able to neither scan with the Epson Perfection scanner nor with the M1120n-MFP. As said, both worked with Lucid. As said I had to rename a file to get the MFP scanner to work.

I include screen shots to this post

73ckn797
October 9th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I have been having issues with 10.04 and my HP J4580 All-in-One scanner function. The problems began just after installing 10.04. I believe that it is because Ubuntu quit including Xsane in the distribution as the default scan program. They now use Simple-scan. As the 10.04 updates have progressed the scanner issues have only become worse.

I removed xsane and started using simple-scan which does not give me the problems. Simple-scan, however, does not do automatic file saving or incremental file numbering. It wants to save each scan as the same name which will overwrite the previous scan. I have to manually save each scanned page.

I am looking into other programs available to see if I can get back the ability to scan multiple documents and have the automatic, incremental file saving feature again.

andreseso
October 11th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Execute gksudo gedit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
Comment epson2, uncomment epson
Execute sane-find-scanner
Gives
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x010c [Perfection640 ]) at libusb:003:002
Edit /etc/sane.d/epson.conf
Add line
# For libusb support for unknown scanners use the following command
# usb <product ID> <device ID>
usb 0x04b8 0x010c

Reboot

Xsane now is able to scan from this scanner.

Reference
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsane/+bug/478761

The Cog
October 11th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Woo Hoo! Thank you, Andreseso.

I haven't tried xsane, but I find that your first change made simple-scan work with my Epson Perfection640:
edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and find the lines:

#epson
epson2and change them to look like this instead:

epson
#epson2

P.S.
It seems there is no need to reboot - just restart simple-scan.
Maybe xsane needs saned, but simple-scan appears not to.

brimurray
October 12th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Woo Hoo! Thank you, Andreseso.

I haven't tried xsane, but I find that your first change made simple-scan work with my Epson Perfection640:
edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and find the lines:
and change them to look like this instead:

P.S.
It seems there is no need to reboot - just restart simple-scan.
Maybe xsane needs saned, but simple-scan appears not to.
Brilliant, this simple trick worked for me too, I can now use Simple Scan and Xsane with my Epson CX3200. Thank you.

trukker
October 26th, 2010, 04:43 AM
xsane works with this fix for me, but simple scan doesnt :(

cholt45
November 30th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Hello!
Thanks for sharing this info, it solved my problem with epson cx3200 on ubuntu 10.10 . It worked for me without rebooting and both xsane and simle scan are working like a charm.
Thanks,
cholt45

chessert
May 3rd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Thank you very much! The first change (epson2 --> epson) worked for my Epson CX3200 connected to Maverick 10.10 64-bit. :p

andreseso
May 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Same instructions work in Natty. I must have overwritten all my config files during the upgrade because my scanner did not work.

Love