PDA

View Full Version : DR17 Enlightenment EFL goes BETA! Enlightenment due to be 1.0 final by end of year!

ironhoof
October 4th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I can hardly wait! I am already using enlightenment so!

http://www.osnews.com/story/23863/EFL_Hit_Beta_Enlightenment_DR17_Ready_by_End_of_th e_Year

beastrace91
October 4th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Nifty! Going to recompile my SVN install now.

~Jeff

Naiki Muliaina
October 4th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Ahh fantastic! My fave looking desktop has always been Enlightenment, fave themed desktop is E17 with Grunge theme. Awesome win. :)

DeadSuperHero
October 4th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Maybe finally more people will begin developing apps with the Elementary toolkit (http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Elementary). A happy day indeed. :)

Dustin2128
October 4th, 2010, 05:10 PM
excellent, glad it didn't become yet another abandoned project; I hadn't heard about it for quite a while before this.

blueturtl
October 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM
They advertise Enlightenment's performance on older hardware. Can someone say how it fares to it's more plain competition such as OpenBox/Fluxbox? I wouldn't mind some eye candy on 256 megs of RAM... :)

gnomeuser
October 4th, 2010, 08:26 PM
First Duke Nukem Forever, now Enlightenment 1.0 is announced (for the second time).. what next, that leaves HURD and GRUB2 stable rather alone in the vaporware department.

Naiki Muliaina
October 4th, 2010, 09:01 PM
They advertise Enlightenment's performance on older hardware. Can someone say how it fares to it's more plain competition such as OpenBox/Fluxbox? I wouldn't mind some eye candy on 256 megs of RAM... :)

I had Macpup zooming along on a 64mb ram Dell laptop. 256 would be fine.

Note, Macpup is not particularly stable. Tbh.... Puppy wasn't particularly stable... But it runs on tiny hardware :)

wnelson
October 5th, 2010, 05:38 AM
For memory usage on my system it is that of lxde and almost the same as openbox.

Dustin2128
October 5th, 2010, 05:44 AM
First Duke Nukem Forever, now Enlightenment 1.0 is announced (for the second time).. what next, that leaves HURD and GRUB2 stable rather alone in the vaporware department.
*shudder* with all the vaporware solidifying recently, I'd rather not loose that bet with HURD....

ironhoof
October 5th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Wow the BETA is quite stable! They said there would be only very minor bugs if any. I am going to start learning the Elementary libraries.

wnelson
October 8th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I thought I like Lubuntu, but the simplicity and elegance of e17 is just great. I am still learning a bit of it. Yet, it is totally awsome and simple to use, setup and customize. Man I surely would like to see a distro created with this. I wish I had the time to learn. My disability, "Pain", gets to much in the way of most things.

mcduck
October 8th, 2010, 07:29 AM
That's something I never expcted to happen.

It seems my world is slowly turning upside down. All the things I was sure would never happen are becoming real. First Finland won the stupid Euroviision contest, then Guns n' Roses released Chinese Democracy, and Duke Nukem Forever started to become real, and now E17 gets into Beta. :o

Probably the next thing to happen is that aliens land on earth to bring us message of peace (or destroy the planet to make room for intergalactic highway).

ironhoof
October 12th, 2010, 05:54 AM
"I thought I like Lubuntu, but the simplicity and elegance of e17 is just great. I am still learning a bit of it. Yet, it is totally awsome and simple to use, setup and customize. Man I surely would like to see a distro created with this. I wish I had the time to learn. My disability, "Pain", gets to much in the way of most things."

There are some E17 based Distros, OpenGEU, and Elive.

CraigPaleo
October 12th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I thought I like Lubuntu, but the simplicity and elegance of e17 is just great. I am still learning a bit of it. Yet, it is totally awsome and simple to use, setup and customize. Man I surely would like to see a distro created with this. I wish I had the time to learn. My disability, "Pain", gets to much in the way of most things.

How about this one? E17 Remix (http://www.pinguyos.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=22&page=1)