PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid lynx on I3-ATI

abhijeet.daemon
October 4th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Hi guys,
yesterday i bought Sony Vaio..

Its configuration is I3 processor-320GB HDD- ATI graphics and 3 gb RAM

I got this Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 DVD with Linux For You.

Can I install this Ubuntu version without any issues on my machine?It has windows 7 preloaded. I kept last 30gb for linux..

Please guide me...

viralmeme
October 4th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Can I install this Ubuntu version without any issues on my machine? ..
We won't know if you encounter any issues until actually try and install Lucid. Boot from the DVD and tell us of any problems you encounter and we will try and guide you. Which particular make-and-model do you have, is it any of these?

Running Linux on Sony Laptop and Notebook Computers (http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/sony.html)

abhijeet.daemon
October 4th, 2010, 01:07 PM
thanks buddy...

But laptop is preloaded windows 7....if anything goes wrong, i have to restore it....

in order to avoid this, i asked here...

I mean, Do u guys know which UBUNTU version will run for sure on my machine...

Mark Phelps
October 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Since you have Win7, BEFORE you do anything else, you need to run the Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You will need that later to restore boot capability if you run into trouble during the dual-boot configuration.

Also, no one can tell you for sure how well Ubuntu will run on your machine. Part of that is how well Ubuntu detects your hardware and installs the proper drivers. That is best seen by booting from the Ubuntu CD and selecting the Try option (NOT the Install option) and then letting your machine startup and run in LiveCD mode.

If you DO decide to install in dual-boot mode, be sure to use the Win7 Disk Management utility to shrink the Win7 OS partition to leave room for Ubuntu. Do NOT allow the Ubuntu installer to shrink the Win7 OS partition, since that runs the risk of corrupting your Win7 OS partition and rendering it unbootable.

viralmeme
October 4th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Do u guys know which UBUNTU version will run for sure on my machine...
Boot from the DVD and see if it will detect all your hardware, then post the results here.

abhijeet.daemon
October 5th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys.....

Yesterday night, I took backup of Windows 7, and ran Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid lynx DVD....

It booted properly..... Yes, Its wonderful...UI is rich....Applications are fully loaded...From VUZE to Kopete etc...Moreover surprisingly I found QT development tools. Great...

I used RedHat and windows OS before... But this one is far better... I dont want to give comparison chart here as u guys already knew it.

But.....I got two issues because of which I did not install it

1. It didn't detect laptop's touchpad. But I used USB mouse..it worked fine.
2. It did not detect my num keys on laptop.

Good thing was this version detected ATI graphics and prompted if i want to dnload drivers for it.

Can you please suggest me some solutions to these issues?